Sign in to follow this  
Antares

My first experience with Beta 3

Everything started yesterday evening, 22:00 European Standard Time. I am on the bridge of the Carrier, at my disposal are almost 7000 units Material, 4 Mantas with Lasers and Rockets, 4 Walrusses and fully loaded Offensive (500 rounds of Plasma) and Defensive Systems (4x 2500 rounds of ordinary heavy anti-ship projectiles). I started from Terminus and set a course to an island that was known as neutral.

We made landfall and pretty soon we had another island in our hands, without firing one shot. With 5 islands on our side, we had to engage the enemy now.

We set route to Styx. There were shield boosters installed. We used two mantas to explore the island flying fast and high as we could and soon I knew the position of the two shield boosters. At this point I decided to take control of one Manta with Laser and engaged the northern shield booster. Its position was near the coast, which was an easier target as the southern booster. The enemy defence perimeter was not very strong, because, to my surprise I reached at the first try quickly the booster and destroyed. The enemy mantas fired and one even nearly rammed me. I returned safe and sound to the carrier.

The southern booster was our next target. Meanwhile the production was on the way, to completing plasmas, fuel, ammo boxes, rockets. I refueled and added equipment two times. While we were on our way, we received communication, that our stockpile island was under attack. I aborted the current order and prepared to time warp to Terminus to engage the carrier.

What followed was a hide and seek over a period of something like 10 minutes. First the enemy engaged Terminus, we exchanged some rounds side against side while I was heading north and the enemy heading south. I turned and engaged him from behind with a Manta with Plasma to stop his engines. We lost time to make the turn manuver, that's why I used a Manta 4 with plasma. Everything seemed to go as planned. Except the engines weren't damaged enough, and the enemy carrier draged the manta out of telemetry range of my carrier which had stopped waiting for further orders.

Which I gave of course, directing to south my carrier in order to safe the manta. Manuver successful ! Manta was safe, and the enemy was known to be at south of my position. Somewhere between Terminus and Styx. Finally the communication indicated that now Styx was under attack. We reached the enemy carrier and employed the mantas. We put some fireworks on the enemy carrier. The forward plasma was the first to be gone, meanwhile my was under repair. The enemy carrier did not deploy any mantas or walrusses at all, but engaged me with his antiship guns. Side by Side we emtied our magazines. I took than the other side under fire, always with my antiship guns. Of course the fire was rising from all sides of my carrier as well as from the enemies carrier. We had lifting possibility, so I started one Manta, thanks to vicinity of the enemy carrier, I lost almost instantly 3 of my 4 mantas. The enemy carrier had only 1 antiship gun operable, I had none. I tried to move out of range, but engines gone, the enemy fired without pause. Leaving me to watch with my manta 4, how one system after another of my carrier ceased to exist.

2:20 of next Morning, European Standard Time, Carrier destroyed. Game Over. (That was fun.)

I noticed the changed sounds and style of the plasma guns. The lasers look better. The walrusses were not used in this episode of the game. I'll try a walruss fight of course next time. The game has become more difficult. The pathfinding is good and could be improved. I have seen some problems with the pathfinding of the supply barge, but since that is fully automated, the barge supplied my carrier with reliabilty.

That is it for now.... let see if I find more problems.

Off topic: Beta 2 and Beta 3 are two different games. Both have their good and bad areas. But both are fun. Hard to tell which is better... I try to get myself an oppinion about that. Thanks Bohemia, Very good customer service. And very good download service with sprocket, I downloaded Beta3 without beeing at home, and I came home I found my computer turned off (as programmed by me) and the beta3 in my download drawer, ready to be installed. Verrrrryyyyy NIIICCCEEE. off topic end.

Edited by Antares

Repetitive, bugged, boring... all in all I'm disappointed :(

I tried to make a walrus fight. I have to concentrate me on one landfall on Styx.

Objective: Search and destroy the AA-Guns to give a free corridor for the mantas to the booster more deep in the island.

I used 4 walrusses, which were splitted in two groups. Taskforce One: Repair Walrus and Anti-Manta. Taskforce Two: Grenade equipped Walrusses

I noticed that the repair gun was not AI driven. I had to take command of walrus 9 (that one with the repair gun).

I set course of all walrusses to the next AA-Gun. 3 of the 4 undocked and went away, walrus 9 undocked but did not move away. That is the point were I took control of it. The walrusses controlled by the PC, were too fast to follow them. That means not I gave up to follow them.

On the other side, since I did not had any weapon except the repair gun, it was better that the 3 went on alone. The Manta were a huge problem. 1 walrus was engaged and destroyed very quickly, the other two destroyed the manta and climbed the hill near a walrus garage, where 2 enemy walrusses engaged them. There they rammed the enemies, but because they were not destroyed, they were going some meters back, aimed fired and rammed again the enemy. This dance was going on for a couple minutes until they destroyed the enemy. The exploding blast damaged them a little, but I had other problems. I had to avoid the trees and find the way where the automated walrusses have gone. The default scanner was not a big help, but at least it showed the walrus numbers. Meanwhile the automated walrusses reached the installation where the AA-Gun was. I for me could find them, because I followed the wheel-tracks which they had left on the ground. Thanks to the little lightpoles I could find the way across the river, too. Then I reached them at the installation, where I have noticed, that one gun was already destroyed. But then they stood there and waited. At what I do not know. I took command of one of them and destroyed a Manta-Hangar. Under constant attack of somewhere and from somewhom. I had no time to look around. I fired as long I could on the hangar, which was for me a more important target. The other fired on the manta, which retreated as soon I had destroyed the hangar. Other walrusses took me off. Leaving only one walrus active and the walrus with the repair gun. I took on the AA-Gun and was after I had destroyed it, killed. Then the enemy concentrated on the walrus 9 (the one with repair gun). I took control, and escaped with luck near the carrier, where the guns of the carrier gave me a good cover. I hit F2 and let the walrus dock in automatic.

Objective: reached, but on the paper, losses to heavy, to continue the campaign. And lucky me I had the armor mk 2. The armors should be much cheaper. The armors are 3 times more costly than a new walrus. I do not think that is right or logic.

@HamP Your comments make me think that you would like something like experience growing AI. Like a scale from "simple soldier" to "veteran". Or are you refering to my article ?

@Dajunka Yes I like it very much, but the fight on the islands is a hard job, even with advanced equipment. The carrier fight described above was very "bloody". But I enjoyed every second... :-)

I noticed that the repair gun was not AI driven. I had to take command of walrus 9 (that one with the repair gun).

So the walrus with the repair gun was not repairing the other walruses? It works on my end. :confused:

So the walrus with the repair gun was not repairing the other walruses? It works on my end. :confused:

I was confused like you... I'll try again. Thanks for your comment.

ehhhhh? how come i didnt get any notification to download the new beta??????

@HamP Your comments make me think that you would like something like experience growing AI. Like a scale from "simple soldier" to "veteran". Or are you refering to my article ?

No no Mate, I wasn't commenting on Your article :) (which is very good battle report by the way)