Sign in to follow this  
Dajunka

I think I am liking it.

It may yet have a few problems, BUT, I am getting a good feeling while playing beta 3. I am thinking that BI may have nailed this one to the floor, and now I am trembling in my boots in anticipation of the release of the full and most glorious game. :yay:

Over the past months I have handed out more of my fare share of complaints, due to the fact that I was quite worried that BI were going to make a balls of this game, as so often happens when a company try's to re-envision a classic. It is clearly starting to look as if those fears were unfounded.

When you start to physically feel that you are standing on the bridge of that carrier.....well, say's it all really.

I love it. But too often I hate the braindead AI. Walrusses going crazy, but also Mantas who get stuck at hills ("guys, simply fly higher" I often think)

I love it. But too often I hate the braindead AI. Walrusses going crazy, but also Mantas who get stuck at hills ("guys, simply fly higher" I often think)

I agree that there is quite a lot of stuff that needs to be touched up in some form or another, but I am pretty confident that these will get sorted, or, already have been sorted in the release.

What I was generally looking for in the game was the GRAB. The same GRAB as the original had on you. And I believe this has it.

The enemy is real....

The enemy carrier was attempting to take one of my Defence islands, but after a while decided it was a lost cause, and moved on to one of my mining islands. It's stuff like this that make the enemy feel for-real, and adds a great deal to the game.

I'm confident about AI (there will be real trouble with future customers about that) - but I think it'll be a legthy and painful process of making it better. As a kind of half time programmer I feel programming the AI is complicated and complex.

I'm confident about AI (there will be real trouble with future customers about that) - but I think it'll be a legthy and painful process of making it better. As a kind of half time programmer I feel programming the AI is complicated and complex.

Haha, yeah. AI programmers are not taught nor made, they are born.

The game is awesome. I've thought it was awesome since I first played beta 1. Sure it may have had bugs, but I figured they would get them ironed out.

The only problem I have now is that I am finding my walruses getting stuck. It doesn't happen very often, but it can get annoying when you're trying to flee. Luckily you can take manual control to easily fix the problem.

The game is awesome. I've thought it was awesome since I first played beta 1. Sure it may have had bugs, but I figured they would get them ironed out.

The only problem I have now is that I am finding my walruses getting stuck. It doesn't happen very often, but it can get annoying when you're trying to flee. Luckily you can take manual control to easily fix the problem.

Hey, I have only had one walrus get stuck so far in beta 3, and it was on the pier. So I got another walrus and rammed it off...Ka-splash!! And all was well. :D

Hey, I have only had one walrus get stuck so far in beta 3, and it was on the pier. So I got another walrus and rammed it off...Ka-splash!! And all was well. :D

LOL, exactly the same happened to me, the walrus seems to self right when dropped in the water, gonna air lift a walrus to the carrier deck and keep driving off to see what happens :p

LOL, exactly the same happened to me, the walrus seems to self right when dropped in the water, gonna air lift a walrus to the carrier deck and keep driving off to see what happens :p

It's simple stuff like this that make the game splendid. It is growing on me by the minute.

I have taken a enemy island by 1st person, by tactical map and by using a bit of both. And all of them proved to be involving and deeply rewarding.

Carrier Command the second coming and Xcom enemy unknown, both in the same year. This is going to be a Christmas to remember. :cheers:

With some polishing and bugs gone in the release version I think this game is looking awesome.

I also have to praise Bohemia and everyone working on this project. Overall I think this re-make has both kept true to the original in core elements and also succeeded in the new design and additions. Good job!

With some polishing and bugs gone in the release version I think this game is looking awesome.

I also have to praise Bohemia and everyone working on this project. Overall I think this re-make has both kept true to the original in core elements and also succeeded in the new design and additions. Good job!

I gave them hell in the early day's, and I hope they can forgive me for it. They have come up trumps, and as you say, gave us a game that gives the same warm fluffy feeling as the original, while bringing everything up to date.

I would have said it was a impossible job, but it really looks like BI have done the impossible.

****, I am so looking forward to getting my grubby hands on the finished product. :now:

If you look at the bug reports, there's much room for improvement. Millions of bugs have been reported since Beta 3 ;)

I hope they'll continuously improve the game like the do it with Arma (with an output of a new beta every couple of days).

If you look at the bug reports, there's much room for improvement. Millions of bugs have been reported since Beta 3 ;)

I hope they'll continuously improve the game like the do it with Arma (with an output of a new beta every couple of days).

Agreed, lot's of bugs and niggles. But the game is still a cracker, and can only get better as they progress through the remaining bugs and niggles. :)

I docked at a island where a storm was raging. It's was that convincing I felt physical cold and wet. I was very tempted to go to the coat closet and put on my wellies and sou'wester. :depressed:

Yeah, sure I have concerns too. Bugs and lack of fine polishing is as I mentioned are my main concerns and could very well be the Achilles heal of this game come launch and reviews. Those are however things that can be fixed. Put those aside for a minute and must say I think they done an amazing job.

- Original core elements intact: Islands in an open ocean, one carrier, 4 walruses, 4 mantas, many of the weapons from original, one enemy, etc etc.

- Graphics look really good, weather is great and while not being over-the-top in details they are enough and keeps the frame rate high. Good balance.

- The futuristic "Halo-ish" design choice feels just right.

- The maneuverability of vehicles is also just right imo. Controls are easy but handling still feels quite realistic. (Though a little more of that Halo jeep jumping/skidding feeling would have been great on the walrus :))

I hope Carrier Command will live long and prosper. :)

As beta3 is now, its a playable game that outshines most, with some polish your talking all time classic, I'm sure lots has been done for the release.

Beta1 and 2 felt to me, like a game in parts. Beta3, feels as those parts are now knitted together.

I think we would all agree that a truck load of love has gone into the making of this game, ha!, I would say that it would take a notational disaster to prevent them tidying up those lose ends and bugs. Also the devs have been on here repeatedly voicing their commitment.

This has to become a new classic, if it doesn't then it darn-well deserves to be.

Edited by Dajunka

As beta3 is now, its a playable game that outshines most, with some polish your talking all time classic, I'm sure lots has been done for the release.

Heres the walrus driving off the carrier ... http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/toxlaximus/cc_zps6211d805.jpg

Look like a problem of the gfx-engine. I had a similar problem in beta2 with the carrier. It had the back and left side under water. I returned to the map and made a new path for carrier. And the carrier was again normal. It's a beta, I expected problems like these. Even "Gold" Games have similar problems sometimes. (like Atari's Test Drive Unlimited 2 with a bad multiplayer display of the cars, with 15 fps, and consider please, that game has 50 % of the objectives only solvable online..... )

Heres the walrus driving off the carrier ... http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/toxlaximus/cc_zps6211d805.jpg

Haha, great stuff. I must have a go of this myself. :D