Sign in to follow this  
Appogee

Only 9 islands in Beta 3...? Still...?!

Please tell me my eyes (or the version number) are deceiving me?

:(

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the beta to be so ''neutered'' when the full game is being released in six days.

Anyway, may as well wait for the full game, I guess. Very much looking forward to a more sustained challenge than 9 islands.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the beta to be so ''neutered'' when the full game is being released in six days.

To be honest, with 6 days to go I will be waiting for the release of the full version, rather than starting yet another game with just 9 islands .. ..

G

To be honest, with 6 days to go I will be waiting for the release of the full version, rather than starting yet another game with just 9 islands

Really?

Puh... therefore you have played the Beta many, many times.

Or I can not understand you :-)

Because I'm playing end enjoying Carrier Command every day - also with 9 islands.

But to be frank: I've got the Beta only since *counting...* seven days. Maybe you got yours much longer before.

Really?

Puh... therefore you have played the Beta many, many times.

Or I can not understand you :-)

1/ I have - got it the day the BETA became available and played many games

2/ You probably have more gaming time than me, in 6 days I would probably not finish in time for the full version - and I hate leaving games unfinished ....

G

Anyway, may as well wait for the full game, I guess. Very much looking forward to a more sustained challenge than 9 islands.

This is a shame. You're failing to realise that the whole point of a beta is not a preview of fun to come, but rather a version whereby you are supposed to be finding and reporting bugs, gameplay failures, feature requests and system problems.....oh and bugs again.

It isn't meant for you to have a sustained challenge. 9 islands is plenty with which to work with when you have the correct attitude to what a beta is.

Gosh I love it when noobs tell me what I ''fail to understand''.

From Wikipedia: Beta is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. etc.

I guess Wikipedia and I both didn't get the memo which redefined a Beta as a cut down and neutered version of only some aspects of a final software product.

Fact is, adding the full complement of intended islands, and currently missing functionality, would be necessary to conduct a genuine pre-release beta of a game ... especially one which is only a week away from release. For example, adding the islands will significantly increase the complexity of memory addressing. The currently missing key features (eg. hammerhead, scout drones) may have all kinds of unexpected consequences on the core game engine.

I downloaded the latest Beta expecting to be able to test the final product, and hopefully help the devs iron out any critical functionality issues prior to imminent release.

Edited by Appogee

Gosh I love it when noobs tell me what I ''fail to understand''.

From Wikipedia: Beta is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. etc.

I guess Wikipedia and I both didn't get the memo which redefined a Beta as a cut down and neutered version of only some aspects of a final software product.

I guess you didn't. Some of us used the term 'beta' software way before the oh-so-authoritative source that is Wikipedia *scoffsnort* was around. You DO know that I, you, or anyone could go onto there and change what is written, yes?

So, little lamer, I am going to just point out that your entire attitude reeks of 'I WANNA NOW DADDA! NOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!!!! *throws tantrum*. Personally I think it's despicable. So, go back to your land of 'noobs' and 'l33ts' and let us grown ups try to help make this product better.

Oh, and just to point out, from your own article, 'The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing.'. I would also like to shoot down your own argument that this beta is not 'feature complete'. It just doesn't give you access to all of the ways the features can be used. It is deliberately stunted so people can test what is important and not just give you a free early ride to brag about to all of your 3l33t bumchums shouting Z0MGR0XX0RZZ on whatever lowlife forums you inhabit.

So go back to playing 9 islands and reporting bugs, feature requests and faults/errors, or get lost. I am not here for some petty flame-war, I am here to help improve a product that I want to see reach it's absolute possible best within the parameters of the game's time limitations.

Appogee - the Wikipedia reference says that beta '...generally begins when the software is feature complete'. In fact beta can be whatever the software house means it to be. It is also the developers choice as to which parts of the game they wish to publicly test.

Please tell me my eyes (or the version number) are deceiving me?

:(

You do understand that Beta != Full game?

Wait some more days and you have all the islands. :)