Sign in to follow this  
HamP

Is this game worth buying?

Greetings everyone!

I must admit that I haven't followed this project much, but lately my interest in buying this game has grown a little bit. However, I still have doubts, I am still wondering if this game is really worth buying? And if so, why is that?

Would You be so kind to help me with that and make me buying it in the end? :)

Best regards

HamP

Considering you are asking this question in the section of the forum that is for people who have pre-purchased the game, your replies may be on the biased side ;-)

It's an impossible question to answer really as it very much depends on what type of game you normally like.

There is a new beta due out anytime now and the game itself is released in a week or so. It may be better to garner opinion once the game is released and there a few reviews out.

It's an impossible question to answer really as it very much depends on what type of game you normally like.

Perfect answer from Jedra.

Tell us, what you expect, what you like and what not - and we can give you our personal opinion, maybe an hint.

And: Look some Videos (via Youtoube or Carriercommand.com) - this will help also.

Greetings

Anton, big fan of Carriercommand (and addictet to)

Thank You for replying already :)

What do I expect,hmm...that's kind of a tricky question, but I would really like to welcome a game where macromanagement is mended with micromanagement in a smooth way, where there is a deep, strategic planning and execution (I guess I can't expect it to be like Paradox Europa Universalis genre game), but whenever I want I can jump right into the action and kill some stuff quickly (in a BF3 fassion or something lke that - I guess reference to Planetside 2 could be better here). To sum up - I see this game as a try to mix strategy with action with their best features.

What I am afraid of is that each level of gameplay is quite not as good as it could(should) be and maybe Devs just should have concentrated on just each one of levels, either strategy one or action one.

I mean, the movies I have watched don't really show if this game is truly complex, that's why I am asking those questions :) I am quite tired of buying games which are not what they were supposed to be, because marketing hype made them look such shiny precioussss things to be bought imidiately ;)

(on the other hand, there is practically NO HYPE in case of CC:GAEA MISSION :) )

PS.Sorry for my rather poor language skills...

The oldies (me included) will know exactly what to expect, but those who never played the original I can say a lot of heart went into this, way much more than is usual for a game, yes its worth it.

It is a good game but maybe that's because I'm biased as I loved the original. I showed my mate the carrier command then and now video and he instantly asked when is the game released. He too was a big Carrier Command fan and thought the remake looked awesome.

The oldies (me included) will know exactly what to expect,

Yes, Tox_Laximus is right. As you can see here some of us are "old school": We where happy to play the original, years ago in 1988, maybe on Amiga or C64 and so on. We all get nervous, hearing that CarrierCommand will be relaunched and we all got one question in mind: "Will they make it and transport the original flair of the game?"

I have the strong impression (and I think I'm not alone) that they did it!

Therefore I can tell you - because I know from the original one - that CarrierCommand has an strategy game-principle that is really unique and very deep. Its hard to understand for anyone, who does not know the original. Who havent played days and weeks for ONE campaign.

Nowadays - my impression - the games have to be fast and quick: Go online - blast somebody / someting and after one, two or three hours its done. Next day - new game.

The base on CarrierCommand is totally different - which is also an reason for no Multiplayer-Mode (in this stage): Here you start an campaign and capture one Island after an other - defending here - attacking there - oh: enemy Carrier Contact... and so you set up your own network of production/mining/defence-Islands.

Only with foresight you can plan and handle your ressouces - and there will be also times while you have to wait, till an Island is built finally to continue or till some repairs are done, till some weapons are produced AND delivered.

In THAT type of game one campaign lasts for weeks and longer. You start, continue and do a few steps furhter in the big, big plan.

This has an own fascination, which nearly you get in some other big real-time strategy-games BUT never in the combination with long lasting gameplay and direct-action (jump in vehicles).

Therefore an other big and last difference is the number of units: It's small and clear. Four Mantas and Four Walrusses - and the Carrier. That's it - an this is good! Because every part geht's an new worth. If you loose an fully equipped Manta you will have to invest much time and energy to get this all back again. This is a contrast to the masses of units, being played in other strategy games (which is also okay but different).

With CarrierCommand you get a interessting (and unique) mixture of stragety and action which in older days (original) was an milestone - and it is also nowadays, I think.

Edited by anton-korduan

We don't know, That's something we are waiting to find out. You can't go by a beta, the full game may be crap or it may be gold. Up to now I would say it was just, okay.

I'm an old gamer,68 who use to play Carrier Command back in the golden days of the Amiga, a machine that was far ahead of it's time, a wonderful gaming computer. CC was my favorite game, because of it's blend of action and strategy combined in a fairly unique way as no other I have played. I always told my grandsons how good it was and wondered if one day I will play it again.

When I learned that Bohemia Interactive were making a modern version of it, I could not believe it. I ordered the beta, and I've not been disappointed, I can only thank so much to the developers of this great game for making my dream come true. GOOD ON YOU Bohemia Interactive, God Bless you.

Thanks Guys, much apreciated! Special thanks to You, Anton-korduan!

BTW,I haven't included that before, but I'm also one of those "oldies" - my gaming has started during early 80's (good old days of Boulder Dash and 2 hours waiting for that game to be even started), but I must have missed that title back in those days. I'm all very much hyped about ramakes of other "game for oldies" (XCOM Enemy Unknown, to be specific; I guess some of You are up for that too :) ), but as I'm quite calm about XCOM, I'm all worried about such remakes in general, because in general they are just a bunch of crap games for like 15-30 minutes...

Anyway, I guess I'll just wait (as advised before) till the release date and see what this game will bring. Main question to You Anton - I would really like to read a review (or kind of) of this game when it's released, so if it's not too much problem, I will be looking forward for such thing :) You seem to be quite an expert here :)

Last but not least - I'm all happy to see such mature community that is present on this forum - it's a great change from what is usually seen on others... ;)

Best regards to You all!

HamP

Hi HamP,

I myself was wondering about this game, never really looked into, until I seen this --->

which really got me interested, this video is from Sept 12th so its pretty new, but the video really gave

you a nice in depth demonstration of what to expect in the game, alot of features fun for a few genres of gamers in one!

This is a definite buy for me, of course I'll wait til release and review the feedback when its released.

Special thanks to You, Anton-korduan!

You're welcome!

Main question to You Anton - I would really like to read a review (or kind of) of this game when it's released, so if it's not too much problem, I will be looking forward for such thing :) You seem to be quite an expert here :)

Thanx - but I'm surely not more an expert than most others here. I was just in the mood to write something more than a few lines.

Since two days I'm playing Beta2 and it offers an deeply look into the game. Feels good. Lets just wait the official version is here and then we will see, if our hopes (and prayers) are heared ... :-)

I'm pretty sure that a bunch of guys will write here their impressions. If this will be not enough... let me know an I give my part also into it. As I said: you're welcome. :wave:

I think the gameplay is pretty unique, and for that reason alone should be supported in this age of FPS #23470938304983094823094830498

Well, I am in my 40s, and ... I have still my Amiga in working order, and the original game with manual of Carrier command on a small 3,5" inch disk. I have it packed away for now. But I know this game very good, and I love to play this game on the original machine. For me there was no question, not for an instant, IF I would buy it or not.

What to say to you if you should buy it or not ? I do not know what. I became aware of the new Carrier Command, as I discovered an opensource version for PC of Carrier Command. Further the website, that delivered the opensource program, said that the game was no longer available. Googling after this program, I stumbled over Bohemia and I decided to buy this game. Just because it was programmed like the old one, because of the improved gfx and sounds. Hoping it will be better than the old one. The beta alone is very good and it is worth the money in my oppinion.

That´s why I bought it. I liked the strategy mode, where you had to begin from scratch. I liked the simple design. And I liked the carrier and the weapons and the repair system of the carrier.

I cannot immagine that you would be disappointed from this game. It has so many features, that you will find the possibility to customize the game in a way that you like to play. You can play it like an action game, or a strategic game, it is your choice. Not all game deliver this freedom of choice.

Once again many thanks to all of You who respended to my "call" :)

I have one more doubt about the game though - I will describe it in one word: "XBOX"...

I have always been a person who believed that console games are in general utter crap and their conversions to PC platform is also usually utter crap :cool:

So, is this game mostly designed for PC and XBOX is just a conversion PC->XBOX, or maybe (I hope not!) it's written for consoles and PC version is just a port?

PS.I trully hope that CC:GM will support multiplayer in near future...

It was developed in tandem - so it is not just a "port or conversion". In other words, they in essence wrote 2 versions simultaneously. As for design, just remember that it is "remake" of a PC game. There are going to be sacrifices - the "orders wheel" being one of them. But that does not mean the game is your standard console muck. On the contrary - I am a dedicated PC gaming snob, and I find the game very PC centric. Since I have not played the console version, I can't speak to that one.

I have always been a person who believed that console games are in general utter crap and their conversions to PC platform is also usually utter crap :cool:

Yes. But: CC:GM is an enjoyable game. It's fun. It's great. Sometimes (islands) look a bit simplistic (almost like a browser game) for todays graphical possibilities - but no: it's still great fun. GET IT!

And BI guys, give us dat b3!

Well, many people already answered your question "Is the game worth buying?" with a more or less unambiguous "yes". I agree to them effusively.

"XBOX"...

The fact that most AAA games are being developed these days for more than just one platform is a sad fact, but understandably an economic imperative - especially for a game that is everything but mainstream. From what I have seen of CCGM so far, Bohemia managed that balancing act quite well. Even with a few uncomely things obviously caused by the multi-platform development, CCGM is a worthy PC title. Especially the control by mouse and keyboard is very well done and was surely designed with a PC in mind, which is the most important aspect IMHO.

I understand your reluctance, but CCGM is not one of "those" titles.

I trully hope that CC:GM will support multiplayer in near future...

We all do. But right now I am way more interested in the long-overdue release of Beta 3...

...long-overdue release of Beta 3...

Again, really sorry for the delays. There were many things being dealt with aside from the beta but I can happily say that Beta 3 will be available tomorrow morning (local time in the Czech Republic).

Aside from the good news there, I can also say that modding is taking an increasingly upward turn, so you will be able to modify much more than just islands. This means adding new weapons, armor, etc. To complement the mod support, an example mod will be given to show how things are done, though expect that a little after release.

Take care

When I heard about the modding possibilities, I decided that I will prepurchase the game tomorrow :) I truly hope that the game will be as much moddable as possible - this will surely secure it's long life.

Yeah, especially moddability of much more than just islands, as Dram said. Very promising!

I downloaded this afternoon, beta3 (v1.0025). For now I am very pleased with this beta. It is great! I will write a review ASAP. Thanks Bohemia. Great Job.