Sign in to follow this  
Ironsides

<=Noob Suggestions for optimizing Arma graphics?

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this but here goes! I just recently custom built a new PC and even more recently got turned onto all things Arma. I've been playing off and on for about 5 months (wondering where this game has been all my life) but I have yet to tame the beast that is optimal graphics settings. I have scoured endless forums and posts about the best settings trying some and afraid to try others with mixed results. Generally, on below avg settings I can get decent gameplay with no major hiccups and better results in OA than vanilla Arma2. However, my biggest problem is occasional zoom lag and I think lod issues. I tried to fix it first by striping my 2 500gb dives and then moving the entire thing over to my 60gb ssd. I generally do ok but I get tired of hiccups and lag around AI. I know there is a bottleneck somewhere but I can't seem to completely alleviate it. Any help would be much appreciated here are my specs.

Motherboard: ASUS Croshair V Formula

CPU: AMD 8150 3.6ghz ;No Oc

RAM: 4x4gb = 16gb ddr3

Video RAM: ATI Radeon HD 6950 2gb

Main HDD: Corsair 60gb

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Sorry I forgot my OS is Win7 x64 Prem

Choose a High preset, match 3D & interface resolutions, then disable AA, put AF to very high, turn off VSync in-game and in your GPU control menu, Video memory to default, Texture detail high, Shadows high, Terrain high, Objects high, HDR high/V. high.

There's another important setting which controls ambient occlusion, I think it's activated via Post Processing @ normal - play with it either normal or low/off.

Your CPU is the bottleneck here, if anything - a High setting across the board will stress your powerful graphics card more, thus balancing FPS. Shadows @ normal for example are rendered on the CPU only. Ideally, you'd want to be running the above settings at 1920x1080 resolution to unload that (relatively) weak processor of yours.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

However, my biggest problem is occasional zoom lag

Zoom lag, especially on foliage: either VSync, AA or Post Processing (ambient occlusion) are turned on - either of these settings will ruin your day.

I think lod issues. I tried to fix it first by striping my 2 500gb dives and then moving the entire thing over to my 60gb ssd. I generally do ok

Were those HDDs 7200 RPM?

LOD issues are because of wrong texture settings, leave Texture detail at High with Video memory @ "default".

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin