Sign in to follow this  
HKFlash

Controls Scheme & User Interface Feedback

I've never been in a situation, where I was not able to tell the state of my injuries, or the stance I'm in. Something is amiss.

I often cannot be sure of my stance. Particularly when clutter can be variable and there's no immediately identifiable close by object to compare. I just don't think it should be necessary to look at your shadow, your 3rd person, or to press the toggle to see if you were in a stance :)

That's the problem of AI command menu, 100% of players use their weaponry, equipment and otherwise have to survive. You start with a single character, with a rifle and equipment - start work from there, you do NOT start the game with 10 AI units in your backpack. The AI command menu can go to hell before basic gameplay is fixed, but we're generous enough to provide an automatic toggle via Unit selection.

You automatically assuming that squad commands is not important for survival, that is your problem.

You haven't played any of the Classics, have you... WASD + 1 to 9 number row keys: you use your middle finger to select equipment from 1 to 3, index finger for 4-7. Millisecond action, you're still in full control of three of the WASD keys and you're able to utilise the mouse movement fully.

No, what you find yourself doing 95% of the time is that you either move your hands completely up and away from the movement keys, or you place your hand in a awkward position, or you simply end up start using one weapon only. You are going to have limitations on movement because this is how your hands and fingers evolved to be, they work well in relaxed position and not so much in compressed position, also the key placement is as such only because modern day computer keyboard is simply copying the good old typing machine, not because they are the easiest for your fingers to type, but because it make sure the keys won't jam together. And it is not game pad friendly .

A menu for weapons selection in combat is a redundant thing and is no better than the scroll list for equipment. ArmA is very twichy first person game, bullets fly at 900 m/s or more, and they even kill in a single hit! Do you want to take the chances? Never.

How so? At best, your 1-0 key are just doing the same thing with a different representation of cycling through weapons with mapable keys.

Great, great 3 dedicated keys again, but do provide the exact mapping, which you would use, because we don't have any free keys left and AI command is taking up the prime real estate.

I don't know how you map your keys, but there are actually a few free keys left unless you absolutely have to map every thing to a single key. Besides the only reason why BI add direct key maps to non combat essential moves like sitting and salute is that those two keys used to be in the scroll list, if they change the menu system they can actually do away the key map and left it in the menu. you don't need those on the keyboard all the time anyway.

Your pinky will be used for the CTRL stance modifier 99% of the time.

You are underestimating the things your pinky can do.

Edited by 4 IN 1

You automatically assuming that squad commands is not important for survival, that is your problem.

Please understand basic game design: you start with your character, you go through basic training - how many AI can you order to shoot the drill instructor? Right, zero, there's only YOU with CRAP scroll list mechanics and the firing range. face.gif

That later is amplified whenever you do not have an AI squad under your control, thus making ten keys in the prime real estate of the WASD area useless. Ten keys! AI command is an advanced feature of the game, and like I said everyone uses weapons, equipment, not everyone takes command of AI.

No, what you find yourself doing 95% of the time is that you either move your hands completely up and away from the movement keys, or you place your hand in a awkward position, or you simply end up start using one weapon only. You are going to have limitations on movement because this is how your hands and fingers evolved to be, they work well in relaxed position and not so much in compressed position, also the key placement is as such only because modern day computer keyboard is simply copying the good old typing machine, not because they are the easiest for your fingers to type, but because it make sure the keys won't jam together. And it is not game pad friendly .

The number row is the most optimised layout there is, because of the design of the keyboard - it has been thus for decades, because people have figured out the best mechanics for competitive entertainment, anything else - you're just thinking up things on the fly, which don't apply here.

How so? At best, your 1-0 key are just doing the same thing with a different representation of cycling through weapons with mapable keys.

How is 1 (ONE) key press not totally superior to everything else? You're not cycling: if I need my M203 and I need it now, I hit 3, fire the nade, hit Reload to load another nade in or go straight to my primary again with the 1 key. If I need to clear the area behind a wall, I hit 5 and no further cycling is required, because hitting 5 once is = Frag greandes, tapping 5 twice = Smoke grenade (red), hitting 5 again would be Frag grenade, if you don't have any other grenade types in your inventory. Simple!

Satchels and mines mapped to 8 and 7 respectively would be a joy to use, select mine -> left click, go around the area left-clicking and then quickly ready yourself with 1 Primary weapon key.

Did I mention sidearms would be number 2? Quick swap, as quick as the weapon transitions animations by Smookie would allow - all perfectly usable in CQB.

In fact, this is the only mechanic, which works in CQB.

I don't know how you map your keys, but there are actually a few free keys left unless you absolutely have to map every thing to a single key. Besides the only reason why BI add direct key maps to non combat essential moves like sitting and salute is that those two keys used to be in the scroll list, if they change the menu system they can actually do away the key map and left it in the menu. you don't need those on the keyboard all the time anyway.

I'm interested in detail, not demagogy, so why not let us know exactly which keys you have in mind? I have posted whole layouts for everything: from infantry weapons and equipment, to in-vehicle Actions mapped to the number row key.

You are underestimating the things your pinky can do.

Then that's double standards by you, saying that dual-purpose keys and/or fingers is unnecessarily complex. face.gif

My 3 cents:

1.when we will have key for engine ? press 1 key and car drive or plane/chopper is flying.Current holding engine on key is some kind of strange solution and not exist in real life :)

2.assigning number to seats is crysis setup and I wasnt sure that they will allow you implement it.I'd rather split menu to number,like current system but will modify it.

eg

1 weapons

2 control

3 position/seat

etc

3.action menu which still appearing on screen still so annoying,i hope not will be in a3.For example you run around house and same moment you see enemy you stay next to door.Instead of shot you opening door :)

2.assigning number to seats is crysis setup and I wasnt sure that they will allow you implement it.

Number row keys for vehicle interaction is Crysis 1 setup in a way, it works great... almost too good, that's why Devs could add a (black screen?) transition delay of 1-3 seconds, or any other timeframe to account for immersion and balance. :)

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

3.action menu which still appearing on screen still so annoying,i hope not will be in a3.For example you run around house and same moment you see enemy you stay next to door.Instead of shot you opening door :)

Well, unless we drastically reduce the number of Actions for the menu, there's gotta be something. Funny thing you mentioned Crysis 1, it actually has the exact implementation I'm looking for in an Action menu,

HLddvNiXym4

Single key (middle mouse button) activation, can support more Actions than this pentagonal design. We could displace it off the centre and include Actions like: climb ladder, open/close doors, what else? :p

Better demo in combat,

VzkupbMRMSU

Instant activation, crosshair still on target, movement is not impeded. I personally completed both Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead on Delta difficulty - what a rush, there was never a break in immersion with this type of menu. If you want an extreme demo of the menu, here's me playing a few years ago, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkBtVELu7c :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

i like the radial menu route, i just don't understand why you would want to have it off center. it's not like you can track a target while you have the menu open anyways, so wouldn't keeping it centered be quicker and still allow you to see ahead? putting the menu to the side means taking your eyes off your sights. as for a stance icon, sure, ACE uses it (option to turn on or off). it's located on the top right corner, right below the weapon stats box and it works great.

i still think that AI commanding controls should be move to the radial menu. i would still have the F keys select the unit, but giving commands would be faster over the radial menu. the radial menu can be made into sections (Command, Interact, Actions, Equipment), and you would select what you want like this: middle mouse-highlight Command-(new labels:Formations, Combat Mode, Movement, Actions appear)-highlight Combat Mode-(new labels, and second outer ring with more commands pop up), highlight Scan Horizon, release middle mouse to select. so without all that explaining it would look like this (middle mouse-command-combat mode-scan horizon-release middle mouse) and the action is performed. personally though, i would rather have the middle mouse be used to open and close the menu, and have left mouse or the USE key select the action. that way if you need to close the menu quickly, just release the middle mouse and it wont select any action or command.

Dynamo;2216745']i like the radial menu route' date=' i just don't understand why you would want to have it off center. it's not like you can track a target while you have the menu open anyways, so wouldn't keeping it centered be quicker and still allow you to see ahead? putting the menu to the side means taking your eyes off your sights.[/quote']

Keep in mind that Crysis radial menu demonstration has Combat Actions in it, in ArmA, we can afford to keep the menu off centre with non-combat interaction: opening doors, climbing ladders. :) And I think it will be a little bit bigger than the Crysis one, especially if we use something like a hex/octagon and text in it.

Keep in mind that Crysis radial menu demonstration has Combat Actions in it, in ArmA, we can afford to keep the menu off centre with non-combat interaction: opening doors, climbing ladders. :) And I think it will be a little bit bigger than the Crysis one, especially if we use something like a hex/octagon and text in it.

One minor problem: climb ladders/open doors is pretty dependent on what exactly you're looking at. You might need to return all actions within a radius and list them, allowing you to select which one you want.

One minor problem: climb ladders/open doors is pretty dependent on what exactly you're looking at. You might need to return all actions within a radius and list them, allowing you to select which one you want.

I'd say context-dependent interacton works very well, if proper deadzone activation area is used by the Devs. See door -> approach door -> point centre mass of door -> middle mouse button -> mouse swipe to "Open Door". Forgot to mention Satchel and mine settings in the Action menu - these could be used the same way they are now, by pointing your crosshair at them, though again, deadzone needs to be increased, so people wouldn't be frustrated as they are now, while looking for a small group of pixels to get within the "activation zone".

So what are your thoughts on that Crysis menu? Looks pretty neat to me.

[FHA]Dynamo,

Here's another reason why we need to displace it off centre: you may sometimes want/need to have it open, like you do now with the scroll list, if you have satchels setup and you are waiting in ambush. I'm sure there are other reasons you may want to do it in certain scenarios.

I really don't like the radial aproach to the action menu, even worst if you need to open it to access an obvious action like opening doors.

I'd say context-dependent interacton works very well, if proper deadzone activation area is used by the Devs. See door -> approach door -> point centre mass of door -> middle mouse button -> mouse swipe to "Open Door". Forgot to mention Satchel and mine settings in the Action menu - these could be used the same way they are now, by pointing your crosshair at them, though again, deadzone needs to be increased, so people wouldn't be frustrated as they are now, while looking for a small group of pixels to get within the "activation zone".

So what are your thoughts on that Crysis menu? Looks pretty neat to me.

I played Crysis when it came out, the menu system isn't so much a menu as a gesture-based action IMO, OK for Crysis where your menu choices are the same things all the time, but for a potentially dynamic menu I think I should prefer it click-based.

I forgot to mention why we need to displace it off centre: you may sometimes want/need to have it open, like you do now with the scroll list, if you have satchels setup and you are waiting in ambush. I'm sure there are other reasons you may want to do it in certain scenarios.

I think the space between the top of the unit icons and just below the screen center would be the optimum space for a GUI. I'm sort of imagining an oval design in segments, I'm trying to remember the image that inspired that, might be PR or something similar.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

I really don't like the radial aproach to the action menu, even worst if you need to open it to access an obvious action like opening doors.

I know what you mean, but sometimes the current system is very fiddly. I'm always flapping my head about trying to find a ladder's magic climb-me spot :) I would suggest that when you press the GUI hotkey any relevant action (such as open door) is automatically right under the mouse pointer position, center of the radial.

Edited by DMarkwick

I played Crysis when it came out, the menu system isn't so much a menu as a gesture-based action IMO, OK for Crysis where your menu choices are the same things all the time, but for a potentially dynamic menu I think I should prefer it click-based.

It's the definition of radial menu, in fact, best I've seen. Let's suppose we use the same principle, but in an octagonal array of icons, or an octagon with 8 partitions - why would there be a problem with "dynamic" Actions, and what would those "Actions" be? I can only recall satchel settings, satchel touch off, open/close door, climb ladder as the Actions, which are often used in ArmA. Is there anything else? I wish Devs would chip in and answer our Prayers, or dispel the illusions. :( I understand this is a user thread, but not many knowledgeable users are present. :icon_mrgreen:

I think the space between the top of the unit icons and just below the screen center would be the optimum space for a GUI. I'm sort of imagining an oval design in segments, I'm trying to remember the image that inspired that, might be PR or something similar.

Something like that: the radial Action menu could be wedged in there, but then again, we don't know yet if the old squad row iconography survives ArmA III. Spot could be defined as the lower half of the screen, either side/edge would do.

It's the definition of radial menu, in fact, best I've seen. Let's suppose we use the same principle, but in an octagonal array of icons, or an octagon with 8 partitions - why would there be a problem with "dynamic" Actions, and what would those "Actions" be? I can only recall satchel settings, satchel touch off, open/close door, climb ladder as the Actions, which are often used in ArmA. Is there anything else? I wish Devs would chip in and answer our Prayers, or dispel the illusions. :( I understand this is a user thread, but not many knowledgeable users are present. :icon_mrgreen:

Well, anything else might literally be that - any action that is added is an action that needs to be fed to the GUI, including user-made actions like you might find in addons etc. Sounds like a nightmare right? But I think we can easily list user-added actions immediately to one side of the radial, going up the screen. Kind of like how the current actions are listed in the scroll-wheel, but as buttons and not subject to annoying context-driven shuffling.

Something like that: the radial Action menu could be wedged in there, but then again, we don't know yet if the old squad row iconography survives ArmA III. Spot could be defined as the lower half of the screen, either side/edge would do.

I think it's fairly certain the unit icons will still be there :)

You're kinda right on activation of this Crysis menu: middle mouse to open the radial, left clicking to navigate would operate a lot smoother in ArmA - satchel/mine setup could become easier, i.e.: you click the setting once, timer goes to -30 sec, twice and it's -60 sec, then set the needed parameters and middle mouse button to close the rose-radial. :) But then how do you operate doors, which require semi-instant activation in combat? Open menu, mouse over, then left click is vastly inferior to open menu by depressing middle mouse button, mouse swipe in the direction of the Action, release MMButton.

So many good options, so little input from Devs. :(

You're kinda right on activation of this Crysis menu: middle mouse to open the radial, left clicking to navigate would operate a lot smoother in ArmA - satchel/mine setup could become easier, i.e.: you click the setting once, timer goes to -30 sec, twice and it's -60 sec, then set the needed parameters and middle mouse button to close the rose-radial. :)

MMB would be acceptable, but I'm leaning toward a keyboard press-to-hold system, so that releasing the hotkey dismisses the radial immediately and cancels the current selection(s). It would allow for immediate re-entry into the action if something unexpected happens :) only exception wuld be if that selected action required the pointing to an object, like "move there" or something similar. In that case, right-click could dismiss the action, same as it currently does.

MMB would be acceptable, but I'm leaning toward a keyboard press-to-hold system, so that releasing the hotkey dismisses the radial immediately and cancels the current selection(s). It would allow for immediate re-entry into the action if something unexpected happens :)

Right, any Action menu, which doesn't rely on the scroll wheel to operate (i.e. radial), could have its hotkey fully re-mappable. Let's suppose that middle mouse button would be default.

So, we have:

1) 1-9 number row for weaponry and equipment, selection of the same weapon type is done through cycling, i.e. Key 5 for all Hand Grenade types;

2) 1-9 number row for in-vehicle interaction (you don't want to have 8+ Actions on a radial menu, which you use very often);

3) As the second system component there's the radial-rose Action menu, operation is subject to review: middle mouse button depress -> mouse swipe -> MMB release vs. depress a key/MMB -> left click to select Action -> release hotkey;

4) Finally AI command menu, which is left completely as it currently is with the same mechanics, because I honestly don't know what to do with it - it needs a major overhaul in number of commands and command positioning.

Points are 1-3 are top priority for basic gameplay and multiplayer.

25908749.jpg

I know what you mean, but sometimes the current system is very fiddly. I'm always flapping my head about trying to find a ladder's magic climb-me spot :) I would suggest that when you press the GUI hotkey any relevant action (such as open door) is automatically right under the mouse pointer position, center of the radial.

Ladders, that is a whole other problem that are part of many of those "sh!t sh!t sh!t" moments were you struggle to do something that you want and end exploding a satchel, ejecting and whatnot.

My point is that radial menu isn't necessary because you shouldn't have so many actions tied to the "action menu" (that include satchel\explosive stuff, changing ammo both on foot and vehicles, flaps,gears...) but leave these to the keyboard so you have very few options as actions (doors, ladders, get in\out, interact with objects in general). A list, IMO, is much more appropriated. Hell, if more stuff is binded to keys, I wouldn't have a problem with the actual MMB menu.

PR managed to do that very well: weapon selection on the numbers,most world\object interaction in one key and the most common (ladders,doors, get..) in MMB. But they didn't needed to think about squad commanding (as a pure PvP mod). Actually that was mine inspiration for the scheme that I posted somewhere here.

My point is that radial menu isn't necessary because you shouldn't have so many actions tied to the "action menu" (that include satchel\explosive stuff, changing ammo both on foot and vehicles, flaps,gears...) but leave these to the keyboard so you have very few options as actions (doors, ladders, get in\out, interact with objects in general). A list, IMO, is much more appropriated. Hell, if more stuff is binded to keys, I wouldn't have a problem with the actual MMB menu.

That's a big IF, IF BIS do map all in-vehicle interactions like this,

I just remembered something, holy hell - apart from having weapons/gadget on dedicated 0-9 number row keys, you could also assign all Scroll Action List in-vehicle (inter-)actions to it,

Cars, Tanks, APCs, Vehicles in general

• Key 1 - Driver's seat
  • 2 - Gunner's seat
  • 3 - Commander's seat
  • 4 - Back seat
  • 5 - Get out (ONLY when the vehicle is stationary - feature already present in ArmA)
  • 6 - Manual fire
  • 7 - ?
  • 8 - ?
  • 9 - Eject

Transport helicopters, Attack Helicopters, Rotary Aircraft in general

• Key 1 - Pilot's seat
  • 2 - Co-Pilot's seat (Has the co-pilot seat been confirmed in ArmA III?)
  • 3 - Gunner's seat (Transports Helos ONLY)
  • 4 - Back seat
  • 5 - Get out (ONLY when the aircraft is stationary and on the ground - feature already present in ArmA)
  • 6 - Manual fire
  • 7 - ?
  • 8 - ?
  • 9 - Eject

Jets, Airplanes, Fixed-wing Aircraft in general

• Key 1 - Pilot's seat
  • 2 - Flaps (Cycle through Extend, Extend, retract)
  • 3 - Landing gear (Cycle through Raise Gear / Lower Gear)
  • 4 - To back seat (Cargo planes)
  • 5 - Get out (ONLY when the aircraft is stationary and on the ground - feature already present in ArmA)
  • 6 - ?
  • 7 - ?
  • 8 - ?
  • 9 - Eject

!IMPORTANT! - Add 1 to 3 seconds transition (black screen?) delay to ALL of the above in-vehicle Actions to factor in immersion and realism, it also prevents insta-hoping in multiplayer (which BTW is currently possible with the scroll list)

Then the number of Actions left on the scroll list rapidly decreases and they could use a single MMB press interaction with world objects: Doors, ladders, etc. But how do we operate satchels, which arguably would be the last problem to solve?

For satchels: How about you aim the crosshair, press the *NEW* interaction button, which would be MMB, and set the Timer with each stroke, then Touch Off would be done by selecting the satchels again via the number row (I would assign Satchels/explosives to key 8), and if you left click now, you detonate it.

Hell, or do away with the Timer functions entirely. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with eliminating the scroll Action menu and not introducing a radial menu - having a single Interaction key (Middle Mouse button) with world objects (doors, ladders) would bring ease of use and functionality to the game.

How? Clakers.

CLAYMORE%252BWITH%252BCLACKER%252BAND%252BWIRE.jpg

Thus making those items "equipable", aswell for grenades.

True, so a single interaction button, no Action scroll lists, no radial menus, eh?

Explosives could be operated the same way grenades would be, by cycling essentially: Hit number row key 8, this selects the satchel, left click to place it, hit 8 again, this selects the "DETONATE" function, whatever it may be in the case of satchels - radio detonator? Anyway, left click again to detonate/touch off. :)

Very nice. :borat: Same mechanic for remotely detonated explosives is used in a lot of games, though they do actually have a 3D model of the detonator in hand, but this is not required as long as you know you have DETONATE function selected via the number row. Claymores will have exactly the same operation as satchels.

Tripwire mines: Hit 7 key, selects an IED, left click to place it, then move away 20 m left click again, this places the tripwire spanning the whole length of 20 m Me likey. :p

P.S. Just so that everyone follows, I'm using an arbitrary weapons/equipment number row map:

Key 1 - Primary weapon;

2 - Sidearms (handguns etc);

3 - Under barrel grenade launchers of the primary weapon (M203/GP-25);

4 - AT launchers/RPGs;

5 - Grenades (hitting 5 repeatedly cycles through various grenades if you have them: frag, smoke (red), (green) etc);

6 - ???

7 - Mines: Claymores, Betties, IEDs (hitting 7 repeatedly cycles between mine types, also cycles the detonator);

8 - Satchels, explosives (C4?) (operation is exactly the same as with mines);

Although, you could have the detonator separately from the mine/explosive dedicated key, let's say key 9 or 6. :)

Bottom line: map all of the weaponry and equipment to the number row, work out the explosives' detonator mechanic (already outlined), then map out the same keys for in-vehicle interaction as detailed above. After everything is said and done, you can take a look at what's left of the Action scroll menu and how to proceed next.

While we're speaking about movement here with someone having mentioned Skyrim, an autorun (cruise control) feature would be extremely nice considering how maps get larger and larger and transportation is not always on hand.

how about you equip a satchel (key 5) place it where you want. when placed you pull out the detonator automatically, and if you want to place another satchel you just press 5 again.. and so on. placing satchels and opening doors shouldn't be on the radial menu. for interacting with general items pressing the (USE) key is plenty good.

i would also like to add that being able to slowly open doors would be a welcomed addition. press & hold the USE key, then use the scroll wheel to open and close the door.

so far this is how i would imagine my key lay out.

Fkeys : Unit selection

(number row)

1: Primary weapon

2: Secondary weapon

3: Primary weapon-secondary function (M203/GP25 - Masterkey under barrel breaching shotgun)

4: Shoulder mounted weapons - AT/AA launchers

5: Mines/satchels/explosives

6-0 not really needed

G: Grenades/Smoke/Gas

F: Fire selector/fire mode

I: Inventory (opens equipment menu)

WASD: General movement

Q: Last weapon used/quick swap weapons

E: USE-Interact

R: Main weapon sight

T: Secondary sight (back up battle sights/iron sight) toggle

Left Shift: Lean left (sorry i just can't stand using Q&E for leaning.. it's just bleh)

Space: Lean right

Left Ctrl: Stance modifier (i like this one)

Z: Reload (thats been my reload key for most games dating back to 1998)

X: Stance-Prone

C: Stance-Crouch

V: Stance-Stand

Alt: Run/Walk toggle

V: Climb/Jump over obstacles

B: Binoculars/Range finders/Laser designators

N: Night vision toggle/Optic visual mode selector (NV-Thermal WH/BW)

M: Map

Right Alt: Free look toggle

most of the other keys are unbound or set to current ArmA2 default

(mouse)

Left Mouse: Fire

Right Mouse: Call out/Lock onto/reveal target - hold to zoom in

Middle Mouse: Open radial menu, on release close

Scroll Wheel: (out side of the radial menu, increase/decrease movement speed),(in the radial menu, quickly scroll through selections, coupled with mouse movement.. ie. move mouse left to select Command, scroll wheel to scroll list of commands), (while holding the USE/Interact key - open doors dynamically - increase/decrease explosives timer - cycle through open positions in vehicles, release USE/inter to select option)

Side mouse(button 4 or 5): Hold breath

Edited by [FHA]Dynamo

Dynamo;2216882']how about you equip a satchel (key 5) place it where you want. when placed you pull out the detonator automatically' date=' and if you want to place another satchel you just press 5 again.. and so on. placing satchels and opening doors shouldn't be on the radial menu. for interacting with general items pressing the (USE) key is plenty good.

i would also like to add that being able to slowly open doors would be a welcomed addition. press & hold the USE key, then use the scroll wheel to open and close the door.[/quote']

Bringing up the detonator each time you put a satchel down isn't the optimum way of doing it. First of all, explosives require due diligence in operation, then there's the question of multiple satchels - I often found myself carrying 6 or more in ambush situations. Detonator will be cycle-able, once at least one satchel has been placed.

Your personal key map is something you could fully customize yourself, if the number row keys are utilised by BIS at all. (P.S. Space for lean, whut? :p J/K)

my justification for using left shift and space for lean is real simple.. when in combat my pinky and thumb do nothing.. if i use the default Q&E for lean im forced to remove my fingers from either A or D.. for me, that is not an option. with shift and space set for lean, i can lean AND move laterally unhindered. this has saved me many times. i have also never been a fan of using Space as a jump key (in games that have jump), instead i assign my jump to my right mouse button.

in the end it comes down to simply removing the command menu from the number keys, and the action menu from the scroll wheel. adding scroll wheel controlled movement speed is just icing on the cake for me. keep everything else bindable and i'll be a happy gamer.

The layout you mentioned wouldn't be default, since that's a VERY personal preference in key configuration, nobody is saying it isn't valid though, but dedicated weapon/equipment keys do bring full user customization to the table. For any of that to happen, BIS first has to even consider weapons and equipment on number rows, because I haven't seen a single post on this and there's danger we will end up with a scroll menu or a menu of some kind for vital, often-used Actions like weapon selection, in-vehicle interaction. :(

P.S. Thanks for quoting me in your signature. xD A very acute problem requires a very detailed definition.