Sign in to follow this  
krumpo

Faction specific map markers

Is there a way to create map markers that are only visible to a specific faction? The map marker functions do not seem to have any parameters to specify the faction or unit to show the marker to. I remember in game that markers would show up for others depending on what chat channel you are on (side,command,vehicle,global,etc...), is there a way to replicate this behavior via sqf?

Wrap a createMarkerLocal in a side check if statement.

Thank you, this makes sense.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Is there an event you can bind to so that when players that join the game after the local marker was created can also have the code run that creates the marker?

Depends on how the marker is created. JIP markers is a bitch. :)

But if it's something like marking a city when it's liberated or something you'd just have a trigger or script that sets it based on a variable being set. Neokika had a good point about global variables which would be of use here. Basically leave them nil until needed so someone joining late wouldn't get old information.

So you'd put down a trigger that had the createLocal stuff and have it check for a variable. Then when people join later it'll register that that variable and set the marker for them.

I'd like some clarification as to properly implementing and using the createMarkerLocal script. I'm just now getting into basic scripts so more or less, I'm still very green on the whole subject. I've looked at its page on the wiki and it still makes little sense to me.

I'd like some clarification as to properly implementing and using the createMarkerLocal script. I'm just now getting into basic scripts so more or less, I'm still very green on the whole subject. I've looked at its page on the wiki and it still makes little sense to me.

createMarker is used to create a global marker visible to everyone.

CreateMarkerLocal is used to place a marker only on the local player's machine, and not visible to everyone.

It's a matter of whether everyone, including the enemy, should see a marker. CreateMarkerLocal is used to limit marker visibility to a side, team, single unit, or specific players. The command is scripted to run only on the targeted players' machines so that they will be the only ones who see it.