Sign in to follow this  
rafikrafik007

Low number of fps in ArrmA 2 & Operation Arrowhead

Welcome

I have trouble with low number of fps though fast computer. The issue is even when I lowered detals and resolution.

Specification of my PC:

Processor: QuadCore AMD Athlon II X4 640, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

Graphics Card: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (512 MB)

Mainboard: MSI 770T-C45 (MS-7388)

Power Supply: 500W

RAM Memory: ramt.jpg

Some informations:

Nothing overlocking.

I have installed MSI Afterburner and he shows the usage of a graphics card. When I play ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Graphics Card usage is about 30%.

CPU usage during I play ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5259/arma2h.jpg (107 kB)

Edited by rafikrafik007

I have trouble with low number of fps though fast computer.

Graphics Card: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (512 MB)

I suggest to play ArmA 2 on your fast computer, not on the listed one. The listed PC was slow even when it was new.

Please post a pic with your ingame video settings.

:EDITH:

Didn't realized before: moving to troubleshooting section...

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Myke;2210104']I suggest to play ArmA 2 on your fast computer' date=' not on the listed one. The listed PC was slow even when it was new.

[/quote']

Have you had one!!

The processor should handle arma 2, I have the same and can list lots of pics showing good frame rates. ‘Podagorsk’ island, it has a heavy terrain and can drag a pc down a little, but this is running with around 200mods enabled that includes most of the islands (150ish)..

Specification of my PC:

You have probably got with that pc ‘AMD Overdrive’ which you can use to OC it, I used that for mine to shift to 3.4ghz, there is room for more but there is no need as it handles the game great. I would swap the card you have for a AMD HD 5*** series, pref ‘5850’ they work well together with that processor, only going off mine and the group I play in, a few of the group members have the same unit.

MB wise not sure, maybe others can help, but processor wise o.k. imo.

Thanks for the replies. I think there's problem with slow ram memory. Through the ram processor is not used fully.

I greet

There is a "problem" with your Ram, with your CPU and your GPU i guess. It is simply not a "fast computer" as you say. It should be able to handle ArmA 2 but since you think that you have a "fast computer" i would bet that you simply put your ingame video settings far too high. For sure one could only tell if you would provide a screenshot of these settings like i already asked in my previous post.

If you really want help, read the replies you get carefully and if someone asks for additional info, provide them. Else i have to assume that you're not really interested in help and i can close the thread immediately.

End of line

Myke;2211337']For sure one could only tell if you would provide a screenshot of these settings like i already asked in my previous post.

I know what you asked' date=' but I have Polish version game so probably this will be incomprehensible for you. It is impossible to change language of the game(Regional restrict), but if you really want to try http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3316/arma2oa2012082112141212.jpg

My apologies, i thought you would be someone who puts everything on very high and then rants about poor performance. As i see, you aren't.

If i would have to guess which component is bottlenecking, my bet would be the graphic card.

But let's try to track it down. Be warned, the following days might be filled with "try this, do that" just to figure out if and how we could improve your performance. If thats too much for you, we better stop here, your call.

At first, i see that CPU relevant settings are already on lowest (Viewdistance, Terrain detail and object detail). Raise one of them slowly and check if and how FPS changes.

Try and see what happens when setting HDR quality from normal to off.

Also check what happens if you set 3D resolution to 100% (1024x768)

And as last, change your aspect ratio from Panorama to 4:3. Take the square as reference: if it doesn't look like a square, aspect ratio is incorrect.

Myke, there is no "off" for HDR ... normal (8-bit) is lowest.

My bet is on the low spec ram throtteling the whole system.

Myke;2211399']

If i would have to guess which component is bottlenecking' date=' my bet would be the graphic card.

[/quote']

Mine too. The 240 is a very weak card. This isn't the fast computer the OP thinks it is.

Yeah 240 is weaker than even 8800 GT from 2006 (and 8800 GT wasn't even the top of the line card back then)

Mine too. The 240 is a very weak card. This isn't the fast computer the OP thinks it is.

I don't think so. While playing ArmA 2 GPU usage is about 15% up to 30% and GPU memory usage is about 250MB. Look the upper left corner http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6415/arma2oa2012082115131526.jpg

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Myke;2211399']But let's try to track it down. Be warned' date=' the following days might be filled with "try this, do that" just to figure out if and how we could improve your performance. If thats too much for you, we better stop here, your call.[/quote']

This is not problem for me, so go ahead.

Myke;2211399']At first' date=' i see that CPU relevant settings are already on lowest (Viewdistance, Terrain detail and object detail). Raise one of them slowly and check if and how FPS changes.

Try and see what happens when setting HDR quality from normal to off.

Also check what happens if you set 3D resolution to 100% (1024x768)

And as last, change your aspect ratio from Panorama to 4:3. Take the square as reference: if it doesn't look like a square, aspect ratio is incorrect.[/quote']

I raised: viewdistance, Terrain detail and object detail, but this didn't change the number of fps. I even raised resolution up to 1680*1050 and no changes. I set 3D resolution to 100% and I changed aspect ratio from Panorama to 4:3 and no changes.

While troubleshooting, disable ALL Mods and Addons. Test either in editor with vanilla objects/islands or use the included benchmarks to see if something has changed performancewise.

If one of the mods/addons causes the low FPS, there is nothing we can do here to improve your situation. Since you raise all sorts of settings without any effect to the FPS, my guess would be the mission is badly scripted and slows down your PC. But that's just a wild guess. And that's why you should test with vanilla game.

About aspect ratio: set it accordingly to your monitor ratio. If you have a 1680x1050, i guess 16:10 is the correct. It wont change performance but it will display the image correctly and not stretched.

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 is a dog. A 240 is = to a 8400, Its not even a real 2xx series chip (same for the 250, but its a (8800). There is no magic here, your screen res should be at 1024/768, ViewDistance at 600m. Play on the Desert map. CPU is ok~ but "ok" is going to suck after awhile. RAM will not improve your game much, maybe 2fps if you went with a faster version, But then that would cost more than a better video card. You can buy a 1GB vidcard(4890ati, 285/275gtx) for 35$ if you search.

Ugh dude. Your FPS is low on that mission because your CPU can't handle it.

Omaha beach in I44 is very taxing because it has like a hundred or two of AIs at the same time. You can forget about running it with a playable framerate without new and overclocked i5 or i7

And you should test performance only with vanilla game.

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 is a dog. A 240 is = to a 8400, Its not even a real 2xx series chip (same for the 250, but its a (8800). There is no magic here, your screen res should be at 1024/768, ViewDistance at 600m. Play on the Desert map. CPU is ok~ but "ok" is going to suck after awhile. RAM will not improve your game much, maybe 2fps if you went with a faster version

It's not true. Benchmark 1 Chernarus

Settings:

Resolution - 1680*1050

Viewdistance - 700M

Textures detail - Max

Terrain detail - Max

Object detail - Max

Anisotropic filtering - Max

Anti-aliasing - Off

Atoc - Off

Terrain detail - Max

Object detail - Max

Shadows detail - Max

HDR- normal

PPAA = FXAA High

Posteffects - Off

Vsync - On

Average FPS:41

Myke;2211516']While troubleshooting' date=' disable ALL Mods and Addons. Test either in editor with vanilla objects/islands or use the included benchmarks to see if something has changed performancewise.

If one of the mods/addons causes the low FPS, there is nothing we can do here to improve your situation. Since you raise all sorts of settings without any effect to the FPS, my guess would be the mission is badly scripted and slows down your PC. But that's just a wild guess. And that's why you should test with vanilla game.[/quote']

You're right. Only Invasion 1944 mod makes lag. ArmA 2 without mods's working good.

Ugh dude. Your FPS is low on that mission because your CPU can't handle it.

Omaha beach in I44 is very taxing because it has like a hundred or two of AIs at the same time. You can forget about running it with a playable framerate without new and overclocked i5 or i7

And you should test performance only with vanilla game.

You're right, now I know that.

Thanks everybody for replies and help.

Edited by rafikrafik007

You're right. Only Invasion 1944 mod makes lag. ArmA 2 without mods's working good.

You do know that you wasted our time by not giving this information?

Thread closed at this issue isn't solveable by us.