Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

LIONS.png

Version 0.7 Stable PRE-ALPHA Release

- Updated Feb, 2013 and now available for download! -

Download from Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18194

Alternate Mirror #1: http://www.armaholic.net/colombia/scenarios/campaigns/LionsOfKandahar-v07.rar

Alternate Mirror #2: http://www.h34dup.com/uploads/arma/LionsOfKandahar-v07.rar

OVERVIEW:

Lions of Kandahar was written by former Special Forces Captain (now a Major), Rusty Bradley, who survived three brutal US SOF rotations in Afghanistan, the third being the subject of the book - Operation Medusa in 2006. As various members of ODA 331 (part of TF 31), the Afghan National Army's 3rd Kandak, and the Canadian Armed Forces' Charles Company, you will take part in a massive offensive to push the now-brazen Taliban from the Panjwayi Valley south of Kandahar.

Features full voice acting thanks to Kommiekat, Laqueesha, AZCoder, Krytosss, Domokun, SavageCDN, Wiki and others!

FINAL MISSIONS LIST

~ M1 Welcome Back - Arrive in Kandahar, Afghanistan and make your way to Firebase Maholic through the infamous "IED alley"

~ M2 Bingo Red One - As a member of the ANA you will receive training from your ODA 331 comrades

~ M3 Red Desert - Cross the Red Desert in your HMMVW SOV, locating a vital supply drop along the way

~ M4 Cat and Mouse - As a member of the ANA you are sent ahead to clear some suspicious compounds and stumble across something bigger

~ M5 The Notebook - Perform recon operations on a series of suspected Taliban and Al-Qaeda strongpoints

~ M6 The Voice of Death - As a member of Canada's special forces, kick off Op. Medusa by infiltrating Masum Ghar and setting up an OP to call in Airstrikes

~ M7 Black on Ammo - Lead the initial assault on Sperwan Ghar, only to learn the full measure of the force you are facing

~ M8 Seven 2000-pounders - After being driven to break contact, show the enemy the full-force of NATO CAS and mortars

~ M9 Put Your Mouthpiece In - In the fire-support role this time, you must push forward and capture Sperwan Ghar on-foot at all costs

~ M10 Friends for Life - As Ssg. Jude Voss, save your squadmates' lives and earn a recommendation for the Medal of Honor

~ M11 Holding On At All Costs - Utilize the devastating firepower of an AC-130 Spectre gunship to help ODA331 hold Sperwan Ghar

~ M12 Today Is Not Your Day - Strengthen your defenses by completing three key tasks - secure the village at the foot of the hill, patrol the exposed southern ridge, and take up a sniper position

~ M13 The Dragon's Back - The Taliban are making their final push for Sperwan Ghar, defend your hard-earned positions from their counterattacks

Planned Bonus Scenarios - These will not be part of the initial release. Rather, these SP scenarios (separate from the campaign) will be released incrementally with updates to the Campaign one at a time. This will give you an extra reason to follow the project.

~ M14 Epilogue (Campaign Mission) - Patrol through the Panjwayi in the aftermath of Op. Medusa and try to win back the hearts and minds of the broken civilian population

~ Bonus SP Scenario 1 [TBC] As a member of Canada's mechanized infantry in Charles Company, participate in the opening assault

~ Bonus SP Scenario 2 [TBC] As a Dutch Apache Pilot, use your AH-64 to decimate the enemy strongpoints

~ Bonus SP Scenario 3 [TBC] ANA Commandos from the 3rd Kandak go on a routine patrol in Kandahar...but will it go as planned?

REQUIRED ADDONS (Subject to change):

~ Combined Operations

~ Community Base Addons

~ Tier One Operators by McNools http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11249

~ Afghan National Army and Police http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14173

~ Reshmaan Province (including MAD Buildings) http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17246 - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17250

~ Operation Northstar (along with INKO disposable) MUST BE OA version - NOT the A2 version! http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11982

FEATURES:

~ Based on a true story, an adaptation of the book of the same name - an incredible story of courage and brotherhood!

~ Rich with details, from briefing to the basecamps - explore the world and soak in the set pieces!

~ Wide variety of mission formats - stealth recon, motorized combat patrols, massive assaults and defenses, UAV/AC-130 support, and more!

~ Play as soldiers from both US SOF, ANA and CF CSOR!

~ Dynamic name tags to help you know which character is which

~ Full voice acting and custom soundtrack, sound fx, Intro/Outro cinematics

~ Spans massive portions of the excellent Reshmaan Province island

SCREENSHOTS (Full Gallery can be viewed here):

nxQy5l.jpg

sQ5m1l.jpg

LBUdQl.jpg

hvEgbl.jpg

wQdeol.jpg

bIMhLl.jpg

KUdo3l.jpg

JxuRSl.jpg

OcTnDl.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Download from Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18194

Alternate Mirror #1: http://www.armaholic.net/colombia/scenarios/campaigns/LionsOfKandahar-v07.rar

Alternate Mirror #2: http://www.h34dup.com/uploads/arma/LionsOfKandahar-v07.rar

CHANGELOG:

v0.5

* Campaign Released!

v0.6

Mission 1 -

* Minor fixes to outro - misnamed fire GL's

Mission 2 -

* Added map icons to IED site and taliban compound

* Adjusted conversation with civi #2

Mission 3 -

* Fixed mis-named groups in section III of briefing

* Added hint for player to use an IED from the explosives stash in the tent to clear checkpoint 14

Mission 4 -

* Increased volume of Jared's voice during initial briefing

Mission 5-

* Moved 'initializing scripts' message to beginning of mission 5 intro, instead of mission where it is no longer being loaded

* Added random patrols between objectives

Mission 6-

* Fixed radioEnabled false error that disables much of the dialogue from the beginning

* Removed NVG's once at OP Caroline and sun is up

Mission 7-

* Gave Bill's group a name (to replace standard number jargon in radio)

* Removed unused IED variable from IED script or use more simplified IED method

* Corrected Talon 30's group ID with a space

Mission 8-

* Added a hint when near the mortar tripod to aim at it while carrying a mortar backpack and use the "Assemble M252 81mm Mortar" action to progress the mission

* Remove unused IED variable from IED script or use more simplified IED method

* Fixed radioEnabled false error that disables some dialogue toward the end

* Checked/tweaked outro where camera seems to glitch

Mission 9-

* Adjusted school chat with proper timing

* Fixed missing fire GL variable names

* Decreased chance of spawn in enemy forces on Sperwan Ghar (objective Delta)

* Tried to make the dogs act or sound a little more vicious

* Added 'advanced' first aid modules, kept Simple First Aid

Mission 10-

* Removed unused IED variable from IED script or use more simplified IED method

* Adjusted 'hey Jude' chat with proper timing

* Added vehicle transports bringing in enemy reinforcements, decreased spawn chance of foot mobiles, and an RPG7V

Mission 11-

* Added a hint to the init and revise briefing advising the player to use AC-130 support using the satellite phone sitting on the hood of the GMV next to Ron

* Adjusted player's starting position

Mission 12-

* Adjusted 'god-fearin' chat with proper timing

* Fixed Zangabar Ghar trigger, which activated prematurely

* Fixed radioEnabled false error that disables some dialogue related to Zangabar Ghar objective and can disable end-mission radio dialogue

* Added a medical tent or replenish the player's health and set their unit pos to UP when teleporting after an objective is completed

Mission 13-

* Wounded Bruce, he appeared to be un-hurt, but in reality was hit

* Removed the nuke sign that appeared where players place the marker for fire missions

* Fixed chat subtitle citing Ben vs JT

* Investigated (and hopefully fixed) campaign description.ext-related error after completing the mission but before the outro - does not seem to affect the Campaign otherwise.

v0.7

Mission 1 -

* Updated credits

Mission 3 -

* Adjusted possible locations for cargo drop

Mission 5 -

* Fixed missing dialog for Bill when defusing the IED

Mission 6 -

* Fixed numerous cases of missing dialog for Canadians (for real this time I hope!)

Mission 7 -

* Minor adjustments to dialog

Mission 8 -

* Added marker for ODA331

* Removed A-10's on-station

* Gave Bill a group for dialogue

* Moved the EVAC LZ a bit further away from the ANA "wagon circle"

Mission 9 -

* Minor typos fixed in init and debrief

Mission 10 -

* Addressed (hopefully) crew members remaining in the destroyed HMMWV SOV

* Added RPG-7 to CCP

Mission 11 -

* Tweaked behavior for BLUFOR elements defending the hill to fire at will, they will now be getting more involved when in contact with enemies on and around the hill

* Added a radio trigger (Foxtrot, 0-0-6) to deactivate the defensive objective, you will fail the objective but the mission will continue. Note that you can still be killed by enemy fire, but you won't be killed automatically if they breach the perimeter.

Mission 12 -

* Added Dave's missing line of dialog following the BDA on Ishfaaq

Mission 13 -

* Added some music to the intro

* Deleted a large number of non-essential units and details to help improve performance

KNOWN ISSUES:

Global considerations-

* Add more music

* Try to better-outline what is going on during the intros/outros, possibly using cutText / titleText

* Consider additional uses of disabling user-input during mission openings

* Consider implementing body-removal script (examples welcome)

* Add fail triggers for friendly fire-- specifically from player (examples welcome)

* Audit all vehicle locks to prevent irrational player behavior where restricted

Edited by h34dup

No link for the actual campaign!?

From what I gather from reading the inital post, its still work in progress.

No link for the actual campaign!?
From what I gather from reading the inital post, its still work in progress.

This is correct. Campaign is still in-progress, but I wanted to share what Damian and I have been working on and have a place to discuss and open the floor for input from you guys :)

awesome! i really like ur modding style-spec ops, deep recon. keep it up.

Thanks a lot spotter! Much appreciated, there will be a lot of what you like in this Campaign! :D

This is correct. Campaign is still in-progress, but I wanted to share what Damian and I have been working on and have a place to discuss and open the floor for input from you guys :)

well, u probably don't need this cause u know much more about it, however, i thought it was good to share this...maybe u guys get a new idea or two out of it. or, at least, u may use some authentic names, like the one of the Jawbreaker team. there are links, photos and Google Map locations.

http://www.americanspecialops.com/operations/sof-afghanistan/

well, u probably don't need this cause u know much more about it, however, i thought it was good to share this...maybe u guys get a new idea or two out of it. or, at least, u may use some authentic names, like the one of the Jawbreaker team. there are links, photos and Google Map locations.

Thanks for linking, as it happens, I had been planning some sort of campaign that would look deeper into Jawbreaker and CIA SAD during the early post-9/11 days (using Gary Schroen's First In and Gary Berntsen's Jawbreaker as reference) but it really was sort of boring to try and turn into a videogame. I'll take a closer look at that tho and see if we can tie stuff in to be as geographically AND historically accurate as possible.

Looks like Damian had a link to the Dutch Apache's, though as we continue to build I'll need to make a decision and confirm whether this mod will be added to the requirements list, along with BB OA Mercs units.

great, can't wait to test it!

great, can't wait to test it!

Thanks Wiki that means a lot coming from you! Loved your most recent Campaign for Lingor!

I recommend the book this Camp is based on btw Spotter, there are quite a few detailed maps and pictures, as well as a good bit of discussion in the blogosphere about the book and Rusty Bradley (now a Major with 5 rotations in Afghanistan under his belt).

UPDATE: Added 3 more missions to the plan in the first post, 2 to 3 more to be announced. Most of the Camp will be taking place in Reshmaan Province (just hoping it will remain stable through future releases and updates), as well as the Desert map (is this from OA or a different addon? Will it work with straight CO no BAF/PMC/ACR?).

Thanks Wiki that means a lot coming from you! Loved your most recent Campaign for Lingor!

I will make my spiritual son of you lol

Now being made in-collaboration with Damian Teo, author of the recent Tier One series based on MOH!

FEATURES:

~ Based on a true story

~ Rich with details, from briefing to the basecamps

~ Play as soldiers from both US SOF and ANA

a you add for [CAMP] Lions of Kandahar , missions USMC based on MOH ?

I recommend the book this Camp is based on btw Spotter, there are quite a few detailed maps and pictures, as well as a good bit of discussion in the blogosphere about the book and Rusty Bradley (now a Major with 5 rotations in Afghanistan under his belt).

k, i'll see if i can get it.

a you add for [CAMP] Lions of Kandahar , missions USMC based on MOH ?

Sorry, what?

This pack contains Dutch Apache's.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9614

These are the only Canadians but they are pretty decent.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11982

Thanks a lot crimsontide, looks like Armaholic is down at the moment I'm writing this ( :butbut: ) I need to make a consideration before adding these to the requirements- for the convenience factor as well as the "essential part of the story" factor. Northstar, unfortunately, won't make it because it's a full-on mod and a hefty download I don't even currently have, but the book never actually brings the reader in close contact with the Canadian forces. If only the author (or someone with permission) could extract and release the units as a standalone pack. As for the Dutch Apache's, as I'm reading in the book, they only appeared for support once so it may not be necessary to add this as a requirement.

I'm starting to think about the Forgotten Few camp, and doing a lite addon release (only need the island of Reshmaan, Tier One and ANA/ANP) and a separate mod-lover's release which will include a number of RH weapon mods, BB OA Mercs, Dutch Apache Reskin, and perhaps Operation Northstar (maybe a bonus mission or two to play as Canadian or Dutch Pilot during Sperwan Ghar) and CBA for TPWCAS/TPWLOS.

Which one would you guys opt for and do you think this is a worthwhile way of doing it?

EDIT: Looking at the Northstar mod (which is misspelled Nortstar on the Armaholic page, someone should fix that), it is only 200mb and really includes everything you need, which would be incomplete otherwise, but the point still stands about it's place in an expanded addon w/ bonus content. I personally like the idea of encouraging mod use with bonus stuff.

Edited by h34dup

Update: Mission 4 is mostly in-place, I'm beginning to move to the main battle of the Campaign.

New updates:

~ Clarified mission list (check first post) - 10 missions are confirmed in the lineup, 2 or 3 more to be announced.

~ Mission 6 - The Voice of Death - mission is 90% complete!

~ Operation Northstar confirmed as a required addon, Canadian Army and Special Forces are now featured in the Campaign

~ Mission 7 - Black on Ammo - mission is 80% complete

~ Screenshot update will be on the way tonight or early tomorrow!

Things are coming along quite nicely as I had a bit of time to sit down and concentrate on the camp this past Labor Day weekend. There is a pretty diverse mixture of gameplay in the Campaign so far - Attacking on foot or by vehicle, stealth at night, full-on assaults by day, down time and pitched combat, playing as numerous members of ODA 331, as well as the Afghan Army and Canadian SOF.

Hoping to have a beta ready for testing soon.

Also, is there anyone in the community who knows of, or knows how to do, an iPod-style interface? In one mission, I am allowing the player to choose music from their iPod in the HMMWV and would like a simple GUI to frame it. Not a huge deal, but I figured I'd throw it out there and ask.

EDIT: I just remembered there's an iPhone-looking thing in the PMC campaign, I wonder if there's a tutorial on accessing it here on the forums somewhere...

Edited by h34dup

EDIT: I just remembered there's an iPhone-looking thing in the PMC campaign, I wonder if there's a tutorial on accessing it here on the forums somewhere...

Do you talking about this BIS_fnc_customGPS ?

Do you talking about this BIS_fnc_customGPS ?

Yeah, I think this is it, thanks Wolf. I never got into implementing custom menus or GUIs or anything, I could absolutely generate the graphical elements, but scripting it together seemed a bit intimidating. In the book, they have a busted old 1st or 2nd generation iPod they use to set the mood while on the move. I plan on simply adding a bunch of Action items to allow the player to select music and play or stop (since they are in the turret of a locked vehicle, the iPod controls will be the only actions available), and then explore the fancier stuff from there.

yay can't wait. ur making progress real fast, hope the camp will have such a great immersion like the Battle of Tora Bora mission.

As promised, here's a screenshot update. The full gallery is here if you want to see more! More imgs will be added as the Campaign continues to come together.

M6 - The Voice of Death

0Kr2fl.jpg

Kvnanl.jpg

LgyNWl.jpg

msWTrl.jpg

miBXEl.jpg

M7 - Black on Ammo

clQddl.jpg

4CQdnl.jpg

8ajsdl.jpg

X0hj5l.jpg

411GSl.jpg