Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

Reusable weapon attachments for modders?

Hello.

First of all, apologies if this has been asked and/or answered before. I searched the forum, but couldn't find any information on it.

In a recent video interview, someone from BIS (I believe it was Gaia) stated that the soldier models' equipment like combat vest, helmets, armour etc will be "re-usable", i.e. they're not part of a base model but rather put onto the model that wears them.

Since the weapons are also customizable, I was wondering if there is anything similar for rifles. Currently, when I want to give all possible options for a configuration of weapons, I have to make separate models for all of them. With that setup, I could (and in fact people already did that) add customization features to ARMA 2 already.

I was wondering now, how does it work in ARMA 3? Can I get away with modelling the base gun (maybe with and without iron sights lowered/raised) and use all attachments that are in the game (provided they "fit" my gun)? Or is the customization feature for weapons implemented like those already found in ARMA 2?

Likewise, could someone make an addon that only contains a certain family of scopes, or a masterkey type shotgun, and could these be used for the existing weapons and/or third party weapons?

Thanks!

I believe the new system of attachments works like the proxies - for a example muzzle flashes in arma2

Edited by RobertHammer

You take your bare weapon model, fit it with appropriate proxies in O2, define which accessories are allowed for it in config, and you're good to go.

I can't wait to only have to downlaod ONE nice RTT-using ACOG scope and use it on everything possible, I think the modding scene just got a whole lot nicer! Thank u guys!!!

You take your bare weapon model, fit it with appropriate proxies in O2, define which accessories are allowed for it in config, and you're good to go.

NICE!

Thanks for the reply, that was exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Maybe asking too much, but going from the videos released so far, is the maximum amount of hardpoints limited to 3? I'm assuming 4th slot is the loaded magazine.

NICE!

Thanks for the reply, that was exactly what I wanted to hear :)

np ;)

Maybe asking too much, but going from the videos released so far, is the maximum amount of hardpoints limited to 3? I'm assuming 4th slot is the loaded magazine.

3 slots for now, as I'm aware (not exactly my area)

That reminds me > Hopefully the magazine in the model will change if you use other type of magazine - like a Cmag on G36 etc https://dev-heaven.net/issues/11383

Nope, the mags look the same, at least for now. Classic case of development cost / benefits ratio - more important things to focus on.

I can't wait to only have to downlaod ONE nice RTT-using ACOG scope and use it on everything possible, I think the modding scene just got a whole lot nicer! Thank u guys!!!

RTT-scopes might be too slow. I would guess that it also introduces some lag, so it probably isn't feasible.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

What about things like the Rheinmetall LLM01? It has both a laser and a flashlight, will it be possible to combine these? In other words, can you switch between laser and flashlight, or is there a general class of "activatable" attachments that is always turned on with the L-Key?

Speaking of lasers, will it be possible to have the laser render on the pilot side of the weapon without render errors? On Arrowhead, if the laser is in front of the gun in first person mode, the gun is always last and therefore the laser disappears.

And finally (sorry for the flood of questions, I'll stop after this one (I hope)), can attachments be animated? I am thinking about an Eotech scope being swiveled up or down depending on the selected sight, bipods being deployed or folded, and the grenade launcher leaf sight (if that is still in use in 2035) being flipped up or down.

Thanks for your time :)

What about things like the Rheinmetall LLM01? It has both a laser and a flashlight, will it be possible to combine these? In other words, can you switch between laser and flashlight, or is there a general class of "activatable" attachments that is always turned on with the L-Key?

^ > https://dev-heaven.net/issues/15856 - we need laser/flashlight combo working

and also related to lasers > https://dev-heaven.net/issues/14810

i know , that i requesting much ,but weapons really needs these and thank you

I'm potentially interested in having something like that too... :cool:

Even so, a scripted solution would probably be much 'tidier' in ArmA 3 than the methods used to do it so far in OA: Just need a way to quick-switch the attachment in the inventory if/when fitted to the base weapon, not switch the entire weapon this time.

Even so, it's nice to hear how one will go about adding this feature to community content in future - and we can start designing models with that in mind. Thank you for the info Mr. Vespalec!

Any chance of example proxies and a how-to do XYZ after release? pretty please :D

i know , that i requesting much ,but weapons really needs these and thank you

I totally agree with you :)

Makes you wonder if some mods will just be special kit, scoops or picture in picture stuff you can add to your guns.

what about memory points? will each optics model have its own eyepoint?

Seeing as sights have different height I'd assume so.

Unfortunate that it's only 3 and not more... is this why it seems that the underbarrel grenade launcher (UGL) version of the MX 6.5 mm is a separate weapon and the Magpul Angled Foregrip (AFG) in the E3/GameStar/Gamescom videos is modeled under the barrel of the MX 6.5 mm but does not take up an attachment slot? Would like the ability to mod in more attachment slots...

Any chance of example proxies and a how-to do XYZ after release? pretty please :D

Definitely, I would like some pack of tools and tutorials to help people with weapons modding.

yep

Answer for the rest:

http://kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never+satisfied-gamer :p

We can't make all the things, or we'd end up in developer hell - together with Duke Nukem Forever.

@Vespa - arma is about weapons , so it could have all kind of features that other games don't

at this point some upcoming shooters will have more weapon features than arma - for example Ground Branch

Don't tell me that those small weapon features are waste of time

Edited by RobertHammer

1) ArmA is not about weapons.

2) bandwagon ahoy.

3) there is no such thing as small task or easy fix. Tasks that span across several areas (artwork/animation system/GUI/rewriting weapon handling code) almost definitely are not simple and need coordination and testing. All tasks and jobs have a tendency to expand and linger on.

@Panda_pl

Main or bigger part of ArmA is about weapons.

I never said that those features are easy to make or add ,but they are worth to the game and mainly for future mods.

Not a mention - the ArmA 3 is still missing a proper weapon resting and proper breathing simulation.

Edited by RobertHammer

RobertHammer - such games as Ground Branch are usually specialized, with narrow focus and scale. Arma3 is massive in every aspect, and people forget that. If we are to manage such project, we need to be ruthlessly effective with our time and resources.

The reason there is no daytime laser with flashlight, or "only" 3 slots on weapons, is that the cost would be too high - and that, in the end, would harm the project. It's easy to get carried away, obsess about small things and lose grip with reality - I saw it happen many times, always ending up badly. So even if it may seem twisted to an outsider, I actually am proud of dropping/not doing some features - because it means the team is healthy and focused on target.

RobertHammer - such games as Ground Branch are usually specialized, with narrow focus and scale. Arma3 is massive in every aspect, and people forget that. If we are to manage such project, we need to be ruthlessly effective with our time and resources.

The reason there is no daytime laser with flashlight, or "only" 3 slots on weapons, is that the cost would be too high - and that, in the end, would harm the project. It's easy to get carried away, obsess about small things and lose grip with reality - I saw it happen many times, always ending up badly. So even if it may seem twisted to an outsider, I actually am proud of dropping/not doing some features - because it means the team is healthy and focused on target.

Right you are!

Not the end of the world, if you don't have a LLM module, just take both Flashlight and Laser into your vest and you're good to go :)

Vespa, thanks for your answers. They're highly appreciated, and I can understand your reasoning (though I still wish you would add some of it and hope you'll do so in patches or expansions).

Might I be so bolt to suggest that changing attachments should not be an instantaneous matter? I mean, changing attachments in the field doesn't really work all too well, and most optics need to be rezeroed when they had been removed. Maybe the config entry for the attachment point, or the config for the attachment itself, could contain a time it requires to change, or if it can be refitted at all due to losing zero.

EDIT: does the three attachment limit count against a silencer? Is a silencer attachment possible at all?

~~ Alwarren

Edited by Alwarren