WARFARE: Benny Edition

15c18b34.png

THE MISSION :

Being a Conquer the Island gamemode written from scratch, the main objective of Warfare BE is to either conquer all the towns or to destroy the enemy base.

Two or three sides fight for the control of the island !

During the fight alot of features will be available to you like:

• Units Purchase: You may purchase infantry or vehicles from base or towns.
  • Gear Purchase: A custom loadout may be purchased from Barracks or from towns, templates may be created too!
  • Tactical Support: Artillery, paratroopers, supply paradrops or even ICBM may be called to assist you all along the game.
  • Town camps: Town camps may allow you to respawn in a town if killed near but it will also allow your enemies to capture it! it is also possible to destroy and repair them.
  • Repair trucks: Repair trucks will give you the ability to construct some defenses or FOB, they are also able to repair the MHQ if destroyed.

The commander is the leader of your side, only he may build the base and set the income distribution, all team leaders shall always listen to the commander. The commander is the only one which is able to perform upgrades and assign orders, he can be elected by the vote menu anytime in the game.

Towns need to be captured and held by your side, to capture a town, you simply have to stand next to the depot while no enemy is around, but watch out ! the town occupation may try to defend it ! Capturing camps will decrease the time needed to capture the town while providing you a potential respawn.

Funds are earned by capturing town or completing objectives, killing enemies will also reward you with a bounty bonus, funds may be used to purchase units and gear. An income is generated every minute based on the supply value held.

Supply is earned by capturing and holding towns, the supply is used to build structures and to perform upgrades along with funds. A town which has a Supply Value (SV) of 30 will generate 30 SV and 30$ for the team.

Parameters allows you to play with a different setup all the time, nearly everything can be changed (AI, base, environment, economy, gameplay, module, respawn, towns...).

COMPATIBILITY:

Even thought the mission support the LAN mode (except the save/load atm), you will have a better experience running a dedicated server.

• ArmA II : Vanilla: Supported.
  • ArmA II : Operation Arrowhead: Supported (1.62 and above).
  • ArmA II : Combined Operations: Supported (1.62 and above).

USEFUL RESOURCES:

VERSION HISTORY:

INSTALLATION:

Place the pbo contained within the packages to your ArmA 2 installation MPMissions folder (Lite for Arma II only, LiteOA for Operation Arrowhead only, Lite CO for Combined Ops):

• Steam ArmA 2 : Vanilla: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma 2
  • Steam ArmA 2 : Operation Arrowhead: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead
  • Digital/DVD: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2

DOWNLOAD:

All the versions are available at Dev-Heaven on this page. Don't hesitate to report bug on Dev-Heaven !

Special thanks to:

- MM for creating CTI during the OFP era.

- Hotshot clan for being my guine... i mean beta testers :)

- Brit~XR for hosting XR and allowing me to experiment on it!

- All you guys for the feedback! :)

- Placebo for "removing" the old thread :D

Edited by Benny.
  • Like 1

Clean. :)

One thingy, wasn't 072 the last stable version?

Not that stable ;)

I've managed to do a squad join system in 073, I'm working on the squad join invite/request system now. If everything goes fine, it will be in beta 5 along with some fixes.

Nice..:yay:

A nice banner/picture/image would be a great completion :D

edit: ....omg you are fast xD

Edited by TeilX

I've managed to do a squad join system in 073, I'm working on the squad join invite/request system now. If everything goes fine, it will be in beta 5 along with some fixes.

Nice one Benny, can't wait! ;)

Benny,can you please introduce a ranking system ? based on (sadly) score or bases killed during the game that will help you get new vehicles or skills!

What about those Skills ? maybe you can relate them to ranking stuff !

Unless I'm missing a download archive, are you planning to release missions for the other islands (Duala and so forth) for the the most recent versions ?

BTW I'm getting addicted to Warfare BE. First time I got it setup on Duala a helicopter came out of now where and started attacking my HQ. Shot it down and it said "destroy recon copter complete".

Edited by DJ_Barney

Nice..:yay:

A nice banner/picture/image would be a great completion :D

edit: ....omg you are fast xD

Ninja'ed :P

Benny,can you please introduce a ranking system ? based on (sadly) score or bases killed during the game that will help you get new vehicles or skills!

Hmmm, a ranking system is planned as a parameter, i have yet to find a suitable base for it that wouldn't impact too much the JIP'ers.

Unless I'm missing a download archive, are you planning to release missions for the other islands (Duala and so forth) for the the most recent versions ?

BTW I'm getting addicted to Warfare BE. First time I got it setup on Duala a helicopter came out of now where and started attacking my HQ. Shot it down and it said "destroy recon copter complete".

Those are planned,

Starting from 073 there is a new mission.sqm meaning that those need to be done again. I'm currently bug fixing the 073 and fixing the new squad system before porting to other islands.

New side missions are planned (Soldiers of fortunes... SCUD Attack...)

Those are planned,

Starting from 073 there is a new mission.sqm meaning that those need to be done again. I'm currently bug fixing the 073 and fixing the new squad system before porting to other islands.

New side missions are planned (Soldiers of fortunes... SCUD Attack...)

Sounds good :yay:.

I have one problem with framerate that I was not getting in vanilla (Bohemia) Warfare. It was less than 10 in Warfare BE because I had many of the settings too high. I took them down to defaults and the game was ~25fps for about the first two hours. Then it was back down below 10fps again. I wonder if it's because I have Resistance on, the advanced AI, or it could be because I'm playing with a lot of towns ? Any recommendations for keeping framerate up ?

Can i lock parameters to run mission so noone will change it during startup? Want to try to make a server with hard coded parameters

Sounds good :yay:.

I have one problem with framerate that I was not getting in vanilla (Bohemia) Warfare. It was less than 10 in Warfare BE because I had many of the settings too high. I took them down to defaults and the game was ~25fps for about the first two hours. Then it was back down below 10fps again. I wonder if it's because I have Resistance on, the advanced AI, or it could be because I'm playing with a lot of towns ? Any recommendations for keeping framerate up ?

On 071 and before, Res / occupation on light/medium. On 073, Light on both (defender/occupation). FPS depends mostly if you play on LAN or dedicated and if it's the same machine.

Can i lock parameters to run mission so noone will change it during startup? Want to try to make a server with hard coded parameters

Open the mission, remove Rsc\Parameters.hpp link from description.ext.

what it would be ?

something like "you don't get RPG until you learn how to use hand grenade first" ? ;-)

but, seriously, thats most conidered better managed on per-team, level, by economic-based things.

while purely-personal elements can be handy too, question is how to elegantly combine both, w/o ruining game experience :[

maybe some side-features for that ? like some premium-loadouts, available only after some performance, shown in that class of equimpement during match ? but what, how and what exact numbers[someone can suggest/provide]?

With the new Linux server I can play again. I have been killed a few times buy some resistance spawned in front of me. I guess it's related to the activation distance; resistance should be spawned when I'm further. Is there a way I can increase it?

With the new Linux server I can play again. I have been killed a few times buy some resistance spawned in front of me. I guess it's related to the activation distance; resistance should be spawned when I'm further. Is there a way I can increase it?

You can edit those values in Init_CommonConstants.sqf

missionNamespace setVariable ["WFBE_C_TOWNS_DETECTION_RANGE_ACTIVE_COEF", 0.8];//--- multiply editor range value by x.
missionNamespace setVariable ["WFBE_C_TOWNS_DETECTION_RANGE_COEF", 0.8];//--- multiply editor range value by x.

Detection range work with "Town Range" * "COEF", So if you have 500 * 0.8 you get 400 etc

On 071 and before, Res / occupation on light/medium. On 073, Light on both (defender/occupation). FPS depends mostly if you play on LAN or dedicated and if it's the same machine.

OK thanks, I tried that. But still get <10fps after the game has been running for ~1hour. I set-up a similar game as a comparative test using vanilla BIS Warfare with 40 towns and after ~1hour the frame rate did go down to sometimes <20 but not below 10. I guess it could be that Warfare BE is just doing more, more scripting of AI events, etc. The issue could be Duala which is a more complex island than the default one's in Operation Arrowhead (more complex path finding?), but Duala does run at good frame-rate initially on my machine.

One thing I don't understand ... how do I control the number of generated AI players ? Is that in the inital server setup, or is that BE settings at the top of the parameters list ?

I guess I should go and read some optimisation threads as well.

OK thanks, I tried that. But still get <10fps after the game has been running for ~1hour. I set-up a similar game as a comparative test using vanilla BIS Warfare with 40 towns and after ~1hour the frame rate did go down to sometimes <20 but not below 10. I guess it could be that Warfare BE is just doing more, more scripting of AI events, etc. The issue could be Duala which is a more complex island than the default one's in Operation Arrowhead (more complex path finding?), but Duala does run at good frame-rate initially on my machine.

One thing I don't understand ... how do I control the number of generated AI players ? Is that in the inital server setup, or is that BE settings at the top of the parameters list ?

I guess I should go and read some optimisation threads as well.

For 073, you just remove the playable slots from the editor.

For 071, you remove some of the last slots available (westSlot16..15..14...) and remove the group notion in initJIPCompatible.sqf.

I have been having problems with the scripts locking up anywhere from 30 min to an hour and a half. this problem has started with 072 and I have tried 073 tonight with no luck.

The map is hosted with a dedicated server running on the same machine as I play, and I have never had this problem before the last 2 versions

any help is appreciated

You can edit those values in Init_CommonConstants.sqf

missionNamespace setVariable ["WFBE_C_TOWNS_DETECTION_RANGE_ACTIVE_COEF", 0.8];//--- multiply editor range value by x.
missionNamespace setVariable ["WFBE_C_TOWNS_DETECTION_RANGE_COEF", 0.8];//--- multiply editor range value by x.

Detection range work with "Town Range" * "COEF", So if you have 500 * 0.8 you get 400 etc

Thanks, much better. Now they kill me from the distance :)

What I don't understand is why I don't see my own defense units when I take a town. That is probably the reason why resistance takes back towns so easily

Benny, is this a game engine bug or WBE bug? When I use fast time, every time the game switches/advances the time the game locks up for 1-2 seconds completely, then resumes. When this occurs, usually I notice the environment changes (like clouds move, or night gets darker, etc.)

I use fairly powerful computer that is way ahead of Arma 2's requirements, so it shouldn't occur.

Because of this, the game is unplayable with fast time.

Secondly, I've noticed another possible bug, when you use Auto-manned defenses, sometimes they occupy your produced tanks and spawn directly in them.

This is how I reproduced the bug and it was annoying as hell let me tell ya.

1.) Build TUSK (empty)

2.) Lift it with helicopter, and fly away with it

3.) While it's in the air, something spawns directly into the tank and airlift automatically drops the tank to the ground because it's now occupied

I assume it's a glitchy auto-manned defense, because other time a classic soldier occupied my empty TUSK on the "loader" position. This does not make sense however, since auto-manned defense units usually spawn in base, and they actually run to their designated position (like machine gun nest), not just spawn right in.

Edited by Syphonix

I have been having problems with the scripts locking up anywhere from 30 min to an hour and a half. this problem has started with 072 and I have tried 073 tonight with no luck.

The map is hosted with a dedicated server running on the same machine as I play, and I have never had this problem before the last 2 versions

any help is appreciated

Hmmm, if possible try to reduce the slots amount (< 32), on 073 just remove the slots from the editor. 074 will be better with ai performance, the current ai fsm eat alot of resources.

Thanks, much better. Now they kill me from the distance :)

What I don't understand is why I don't see my own defense units when I take a town. That is probably the reason why resistance takes back towns so easily

Only one side may be active in a town for now. I'll add special stuff later on like counter attack upon capture or reinforcement upon capture.

Benny, is this a game engine bug or WBE bug? When I use fast time, every time the game switches/advances the time the game locks up for 1-2 seconds completely, then resumes. When this occurs, usually I notice the environment changes (like clouds move, or night gets darker, etc.)

I use fairly powerful computer that is way ahead of Arma 2's requirements, so it shouldn't occur.

Because of this, the game is unplayable with fast time.

Secondly, I've noticed another possible bug, when you use Auto-manned defenses, sometimes they occupy your produced tanks and spawn directly in them.

This is how I reproduced the bug and it was annoying as hell let me tell ya.

1.) Build TUSK (empty)

2.) Lift it with helicopter, and fly away with it

3.) While it's in the air, something spawns directly into the tank and airlift automatically drops the tank to the ground because it's now occupied

I assume it's a glitchy auto-manned defense, because other time a classic soldier occupied my empty TUSK on the "loader" position. This does not make sense however, since auto-manned defense units usually spawn in base, and they actually run to their designated position (like machine gun nest), not just spawn right in.

Fast time (skipTime) is kind of unusable now with long delay. I will try to shorten the delay so that the engine doesn't need to recalculate everything all minutes (making those freezes).

The current delay is 1 min, i will reduce it to 5 or 10 seconds. You had that glitch alone on the server btw? after 3-4 minutes? on LAN?

Hmm auto defense shouldn't be able to man a tusk or anything like that. AI May have hoped in? I'll check.

^had it almost immediately (maybe 5-10min), on dedicated & separated server which is directly within my router's network (no lag nor sync issues). The server machine is just as powerful.

I was also using the first option if I recall correctly, 1min=15min was it I think.

About that auto-manned defense problem, like I said, AI could not just hop in into an airlifted TUSK (it was already lifted about 200meters above ground). The AI spawned directly into the tank and cancelled the airlift. The other time AI occupied loader position but that was another grounded TUSK (still shouldn't have happened).

I usually use max. number of auto-manned defenses with max. range.

Edited by Syphonix

Only one side may be active in a town for now.

I'm not sure I understand. If I take a town then there is only one side, me. Or maybe you mean one side in the whole game, that is, resistance is the only one that can have defense troops in a town?

It used to be different. You take a town and immediately your troops begin to spawn. Now they don't spawn even if the town is at full SV.