Sign in to follow this  
Mattressi

Retail TOH, Steam Hinds don't work

I have a retail copy of TOH and bought Hinds from GetGames (it was a Steam key), who clearly said that the copy of Hinds I was buying from them would work with retail TOH. However, when I try to activate it, it says "please first activate the original product". I've installed, fully patched and played TOH, running it through Steam (not activated on Steam, just added to Steam) and Hinds won't install.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it possible to get this working?

AFAIK you can't have steam DLCs activated on your account without having the base game also on steam.

I sure hope that isn't the case. The GetGames site previously said it worked for both Steam and retail TOH, now it doesn't mention specifically retail, but also nowhere does it say that you need the Steamworks version of TOH - just that you need TOH installed. Hell, it even links you to the compatibility patch (1.05) and says you need to download and install that too (Steam automatically does this, so clearly they think it should work with the retail game).

If it's true that I won't be able to get it to work, I'll get a refund from GetGames. If that's the case, which version do I need to buy in order for it to work? Is the only way to buy a version which will work with the retail copy, to buy it through the BI store?

TonyGrunt is correct - to use Steam DLC you must have the base game registered with Steam,

Damn, I wish that GetGames had mentioned that, though it seems that they didn't know either. I submitted a support ticket through Steam, but I'm wondering if they'll ever get back to me on it. Maybe I should just ask GetGames for a refund? It just kinda sucks since I bought it while i was on sale, so getting the money back would only half fund me getting the non-Steam version :(

Damn, I wish that GetGames had mentioned that, though it seems that they didn't know either. I submitted a support ticket through Steam, but I'm wondering if they'll ever get back to me on it. Maybe I should just ask GetGames for a refund? It just kinda sucks since I bought it while i was on sale, so getting the money back would only half fund me getting the non-Steam version :(

You might want to check if GetGames can give you a Steam key - this way you can register the game with Steam and then buy the DLC!

You might want to check if GetGames can give you a Steam key - this way you can register the game with Steam and then buy the DLC!

I'm not sure I understand. Would they really just give me a TOH Steam key, even though I only bought Hinds?

I'm not sure I understand. Would they really just give me a TOH Steam key, even though I only bought Hinds?

Wow, I wasn't expecting this, but I contacted GetGames, let them know the situation and since I already own the retail game, they gave me a Steam key for ToH for free. I've never seen such amazing service!