Sign in to follow this  
Spinecone

Joystick over-sensitive/choppy

Hello there!

I've only just gotten the full version of this game, and my joystick is way, WAY too sensitive, including the collective slider, and when I touch the controls, there is a good half second until the chopper actually reacts.

I've heard that the delay can be reduced by turning render ahead from 3 to 0 in the profile, but the closest I could find was the render ahead slider in video options, which started at over 3000, and I'm concerned that dropping it too far will result in me being unable to see anything.

I've already turned the sensitivity down to minimum, which helped, but I still cant make it more than maybe 100 metres at most. I managed to (crash)land the Heavy on a free flight, but then discovered that because it was the armed one and Mr.Larkin was packing an m16, I couldnt bring up the menu to get back in.

Also, is there a way to make the joystick less sensitive without affecting the mouse?

Sorry if this is all blindingly obvious.

Spinecone.

EDIT:

Just tried the Hind, and can't stay up long as it currently stands. I swear I was upside down at one point....

I've noticed that the chopper always seems to spin wildly, in whatever direction it feels like, whenever I dare to try and actually pilot the thing, is that something that belongs in this subsection, or am I just awful?

Edited by Spinecone
Detail

Hello there!

I've only just gotten the full version of this game, and my joystick is way, WAY too sensitive, including the collective slider, and when I touch the controls, there is a good half second until the chopper actually reacts.

This may be due to the fact that TOH is a game that tries to emphasize on realism. I took a lesson in a R-22 a few years back and the delay was quite significant. If I remember correctly, it took about 1 full second if not more for cyclic movement to actually move the chopper.

Sorry for being negative on my second ever post, but that really wasn't very helpful skidkid6.

I've seen threads where others, including nightstalker and other real life helicopter pilots have complained about the lag, but even then, how realistic it isnt reaaaaaaaaaaally the point, It's still making it almost impossible for me to play, and I'd rather be able to play it unrealistically than be unable to play it at all.

Also, you haven't given me any ideas as to how to fix the sensitivity issues, do you have any tips, or are you not sure?

Can the joystick sensitivity be affected without affecting the mouse, and how do you bring up the menu when your character has a weapon?

Unfortunately not much love has been given to flight sticks with Take On Helicopters. Was very frustrating to find this out after purchasing the game and dlc hinds.. I would be spending 5 hours a night playing it.. Unfortunately, 3 minutes is all I gave it before I gave up... People keep counter trolling the problem saying this real flight bs in every thread I have researched to find help.. I'm sadly convinced its unplayable with stick, and only playable with mouse/keyboard.. Which is pointless to me... I can show you a frapsed video, of me putting my X65f sensitivity on the 4th, which is 2times less sensative than the default 4th setting.. Which is default set for landing aircraft. A simple action of putting my hand on the stick will send the chopper into a 360 frenzy so fast that it makes a dual 670 gpu system with a i7 990x stutter and halt, because its just cant comprehend the frantic spinning... Even when pumping my foot pedals.. And this is starting with the chopper in the air :/

Kinda want my money back as I feel taken, but I like the Arma series, so whatevs.. better be fixed in Arma 3

Welcome on BIS Forum.

I don't understand what problem you can meet while setting up your joystick.. :confused:

Here is the post in which I asked a solution to fix the response delay.

Make SURE all your joystick, rudder .. Are well calibrated on Windows. Then in game assign them to the correspondant "analog command". That's all what you should do. I didn't change my sensitivity and dead zone in the game. Nope. All my curve are by default except Throttle who have 0%.

"Also, is there a way to make the joystick less sensitive without affecting the mouse?"

My question is. How to make the joystick less sensitive while affecting the mouse? :butbut:

You should un'Assign the mouse from your flying command. Bind it for the views instead.

Here is a couple of screenshot to show you my settings.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-54-28-32.png (129 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-54-39-98.png (183 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-57-24-01.png (243 kB)

This way I can have great fun on Take On Helicopters. Even with the Hind ! I admit that fighting with it is.. "Pain in the ass" cause instruments are insufisant but flying it is a real pleasure.

This game deserve to be play with a good joystick ♥ I have 214 hours of flying ALONE in TOH. What could it be if I goes to MP.. This game is exelent. You should try again to set it up. It's not that hard. :j:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hon0p/videos

Edited by hon0

Thank you Hon0 for the screenshots, I didn't realise it was possible to customise the joysticks sensitivity, that did the trick. The control lag is also etiehr gone or unnoticeable, somehow, and the rest of the issues are not really hardware related, in hindsight.

Thanks for the help, and see you in the other sections for the rest of it :P

Welcome on BIS Forum.

I don't understand what problem you can meet while setting up your joystick.. :confused:

Here is the post in which I asked a solution to fix the response delay.

Make SURE your all your joystick, rudder .. Are well calibrated on Windows. Then in game assign them to the correspondant "analog command". That's all what you should do. I didn't change my sensitivity and dead zone in the game. Nope. All my curve are by default except Throttle who have 0%.

My question is. How to make the joystick less sensitive while affecting the mouse? :butbut:

You should un'Assign the mouse from your flying command. Bind it for the views instead.

Here is a couple of screenshot to show you my settings.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-54-28-32.png (129 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-54-39-98.png (183 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH/TakeOnH%202012-08-06%2009-57-24-01.png (243 kB)

This way I can have great fun on Take On Helicopters. Even with the Hind ! I admit that fighting with it is.. "Pain in the ass" cause instruments are insufisant but flying it is a real pleasure.

This game deserve to be play with a good joystick ♥ I have 214 hours of flying ALONE in TOH. What could it be if I goes to MP.. This game is exelent. You should try again to set it up. It's not that hard. :j:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hon0p/videos

I played the Take on Helicopters Community Release and it was working okay with that, I knew how to setup everything, later versions made it worse and retail was worse.

First of all, you say it works and you have time playing..

Specify what difficulty level and options you may have turned off?

I am talking 100% expert mode, with no auto anything.

I wont be able to test anymore.. My copies were on Steam and I quit using Steam, I can't afford to buy the game again, too expensive for what it is, and a game that I'll never boot it up ever with expert mode unplayable.

I have zero problems booting up DCS, A10, P51, Blackshark in expert type modes, and no problems in RoF, WoP, or any other game...

I have no mouse setup, its not a confliction.... something is seriously wrong, I am not kidding about the flipping of the chopper.. think of a top spinning at its fastest speed, i launch game barely touch stick and im a spinning top for 2 seconds before exploding into the ground.. seriously spinning so fast the game engine can't keep up with the rendering. Sorry, Nothing realistic about that :D

I'm playing in expert mode, nothing auto. Check at the end of this video.

And this one for hind hover. (In expert mode...)

You just have something wrong in your X65 setup or somewhere else.. But it is absolutely possible to play TOH in Expert mode with a joystick.. It's done for that. The game work perfectly for me.

Edited by hon0

I'm playing in expert mode, nothing auto. Check at the end of this video.

And this one for hind hover. (In expert mode...)

You just have something wrong in your X65 setup or somewhere else.. But it is absolutely possible to play TOH in Expert mode with a joystick.. It's done for that. The game work perfectly for me.

Nothing wrong in setup that I can assure you, i toyed with it for hours on end on launch.

The 3 minutes and giving up was in regards to the Hind DLC which I tried again..

Anyhow, I don't agree with setup issue but does not mean that there is not a culprit bug somewhere.

What operating system do you use? What bit?

What peripherals are you using (mouse, flight stick, rudder pedals etc)

What antivirus are you using? (never know right?)

How much System Ram?

Also, I was reading there was some 1.5 version or something, was this patched on Steam? Maybe I have old bugged version on Steam?

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

Why do you have 2 expert modes in your drop down and how do we know you are using a stick and not a mouse? :D

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Also you see that spin with your auto hover off, that would be AWESOME, unfortunately, my spin is in a W fashion (not circular) and increase your auto hover off spin, times about 200 rotations per second :D

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

I think I have agreed to not buy any more Steam games but go back and agree to terms and play what i have on Steam. So tomorrow I will make Fraps Video of the spin, the settings and the lost cause. Maybe I can get some DEV love when seen with real eyes what players are really experiencing with this problem.

Hello. Here is my system.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1976139

I'm using Steam For all BIS game, never meet any problem. But I'm NOT using the beta

I don't know why I have two expert mode, it's a known bug. But it work and I can edit it to get the 3rd person view and allow the HUD when I want it so it's fine.

Also you see that spin with your auto hover off, that would be AWESOME, unfortunately, my spin is in a W fashion (not circular) and increase your auto hover off spin, times about 200 rotations per second

Is it the same if you unplug your joystick and try to "fly" with Keyboard and mouse? Have you tried?

and how do we know you are using a stick and not a mouse?

... Check the stick, the pedals.. precise mouvement.. Technicaly impossible to do this using Keyboard and mouse.

/S3tyM1UUC1Y?hd=1