Well, first I played Carrier Command on the Amiga and I liked it.
So far so good. This game is awesome, with regard to the gfx and the sound. The gameplay itself is ok. The pros in short:
- A bit more depth to conquer the islands. You can´t drop a virus bomb, or the produce plant box anywhere and you have won the island.
- The carrier has sufficient firepower itself and is less vulnerable
- The Mantas are nice. I liked the lift sequence when they get launched.
- The Walrus are nice. And very good on terrain and in the water. I liked the sequence when they are dropped by the carrier.
- The free roam feature is more than welcome. Reminds me Hostile Waters....
The cons in short:
- The Mantas can not fly after the carrier and maybe overtake it to land while the carrier is still moving at slower speed in automatic.
- The Walrus can not swim after the carrier to dock while the carrier is still moving.
- The carrier cannot be programmed, to run at slower speed, instead of maximum speed.
- The Mantas can not be programmed which altitude or speed they shall fly.
- The Walrus can not be programmed which speed they shall swim or drive.
- When hovering the mantas are difficult to handle. Hard to aim because the nose tips up and down. (with the mouse/trackball/Keyboard)
- The queue and the production times are awful long. I played hours without mantas and walrusses. Or better I stared on the queue, waiting to finish producing a plasma or fuel etc....
- Saving is a problem, User-savings cause the beta to crash sometimes.
- The destroyed enemy carrier, is after I destroyed it, and wanted to continue the strategy game, again back. In the original game, after destroing the enemy carrier, you had only to face the islands.
Summary: I like this new edition of Carrier Command very much. And I hope I get a stable finished game. Please without steam support.
I played the 50% resources, 50% enemy islands in the game from start. At this time, I conquered almost all islands, but the enemy carrier conquered my stockpile island and has another island on his side.
That would all from me now. Keep up the good work. The graphic is very very good. Especially the water effects. Great. I have a ATI Radeon 4650 on a DELL Notebook 1745. 2.5 ghz, Win XP Home, Runs ok. Almost like Hostile Waters.