Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

GSEP Miroslavl' Beta

I realized that I hadn't worked on this in several months due to other projects and thought that since I wouldn't have the time to work on it in the near future, and possibly ever again, I would release it so that you guys might have some fun.

Some notes:

• The sat/mask isn't of the best quality but Photoshop isn't working for me right now so I can't edit it.
  • The only area that I consider to be finished is the city itself and most the base.
  • There are a few places on the outskirts of the city that aren't done yet.
  • Possibly the most bridges on any map
  • Possibly the most railroad tracks on any map
  • Miroslavl is a large city, port, and military base that is west of South Zagoria.
  • The north-west taxiway and south-west taxiway both work for aircraft that need to take off.

Download:

GSEP Miroslavl' Beta (Arma2base.de)

GSEP Miroslavl' Beta (Armaholic)

Armed Assault Info

GSEP Miroslavl' Beta (Mediafire)

Pictures of Miroslavl'

Air/Naval Base

scaled.php?server=213&filename=miros01.jpg&res=cropscaled.php?server=7&filename=miros07.jpg&res=crop

scaled.php?server=846&filename=miros20.jpg&res=crop

City

scaled.php?server=41&filename=miros08.jpg&res=cropscaled.php?server=85&filename=miros12.jpg&res=crop

Edited by Jakerod

Good work, the first impressions are fine despite the beta status. The layout of the town looks believable and the natural chokepoints like the various bridges provide good opportunities to build missions for this terrain. Hopefully you are able to find the time to finish it up at some later time.

Regards,

Sander

More maps always welcome, especially non-desert ones :D

Wow nice map, I was flying around a bit and I saw the nice detail you have in the city! I like the way you made many gardens for every home. It looks like a real city

Edited by RudyFaasse

I hope you'll have enough time in the future to complete this map - or that someone may be able to finish it for you. This is already an outstanding map, and has the potential to become one of the best out there once completed.

To me, it is to Arma 2 what Zargabad was to OA. I also like how you were able to achieve such an impressive result using only vanilla content; I'm impressed by what the Taviana island team achieved, but there is so much custom content in there that my game is inevitably slowed to a crawl by all the errors being generated in the log file. No such problems in your map!

Very nice terrain/island, although you say not finished, completely usable and very well set out.

Great work and thank you for sharing it..

Very nice terrain/island, although you say not finished, completely usable and very well set out.

Great work and thank you for sharing it..

i agree. really like the landscape flow and distant mountain with rivers. really would like to see it finished - with vegetation, forests, etc.

if you dont have the time, perhaps consider sharing the source files so some one else can attempt to carry on the amazing work you have done.

been looking forward to this one.

I consider to be finished is the city itself

I hope you won't forget about streetlights :p

been looking forward to this one.

I hope you won't forget about streetlights :p

Haha I'll try not to, sorry about that. I did put them in at the base and south-east industrial area I think though.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'm hoping I find time to work on it.

Definitely another really good GSEP map, I like how it's all laid out and the variety of buildings, bridges, and waterways, thanks!

I downloaded it yesterday, and the city is very plausible and nice big. I like this very much. The imagination is much better than in the pseudo "new" official maps Bystrica and Bukovina. I like this one very much, the only thing that's missed a bit is some forests in the area.

Edit: hope I read it wrongly from the lines, but is GSEP in any danger of discontinue?

I downloaded it yesterday, and the city is very plausible and nice big. I like this very much. The imagination is much better than in the pseudo "new" official maps Bystrica and Bukovina. I like this one very much, the only thing that's missed a bit is some forests in the area.

Edit: hope I read it wrongly from the lines, but is GSEP in any danger of discontinue?

Yeah there is a good chance of that. But it also depends on a few things like when the ArmA 3 Community Alpha comes out, when ArmA 3 comes out, what my future plans end up being, and when my work for CWR2 is done. I may be able to finish this one I may not. Maybe I'll have time for another one afterward I'm not really sure. The state of the Lake Beloe map is unknown at the moment because I don't think that I could do it to the quality that I want to. But time will tell I guess. There are a lot of factors involved.

I enjoyed exploring the main town and found several excellent spots for mission makers. Nice work on this baby!

Now, I'm looking looking forward to the full release very much! Hope you'll remain enthusiastic about GSEP project. I'm sure it deserves more attention from the community.

I like your islands very much Jakerod,hope you'll have time to finish this.

It was great to see your progress on this Jakerod, I've been fighting the temptation to ask you how this one was going!;) I very highly rate what I have seen so far, the city is very realistic and the progression from suburbs to centre is really well done. It would be nice if one of the waterways, perhaps the Eastern one, had a section of stone embankment on either side, as you see in many older riverside cities. That is, of course, if you find the time to return to this one, which I sincerily hope you do because I would love to see it finished!

Excellent island, the city and surrounding areas are very well structured. Although not a large map, it certainly has the feel of it when on the ground, again very nice job and a nice addition to the project!

Would you consider making a spot that has a city square look to it, with a several surrounding flats/storefronts?

Excellent island, the city and surrounding areas are very well structured. Although not a large map, it certainly has the feel of it when on the ground, again very nice job and a nice addition to the project!

Would you consider making a spot that has a city square look to it, with a several surrounding flats/storefronts?

I doubt that I will do that. If you go west of the city hall, I kind of intended the area with the office building and statue to be the city square/polygon but progress warranted the new building so they built over it. I will keep it under consideration though if I find time to work on the terrain.

Did some more "drive-by" on this map, and I can only talk in superlatives about it. The city is so big, realistic in layout, I could go around in it for hours and still have new places to discover. I would say BI should consider apply you as a terrain designer for sure :), and I hope in time there'll be an opportunity to fully finish this map and other GSEP ones.

Did some more "drive-by" on this map, and I can only talk in superlatives about it. The city is so big, realistic in layout, I could go around in it for hours and still have new places to discover. I would say BI should consider apply you as a terrain designer for sure :), and I hope in time there'll be an opportunity to fully finish this map and other GSEP ones.

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it and finding interesting places. One of my favorite areas is near the southern most bridge on the main river. If you go to the intersection that is to the east of the bridge there is a pub on the north-east corner. Behind that building there is this little small alley that I really think looks nice and it has some scaffolding so that you can get up onto some of the roof tops.

I like the city layout, nice size, with some forests around this map will have lots of good potential. Will you add traffic lights, post boxes, street names and all that kind of stuff? Because right now it’s lacking a city feel, it feels like the outskirts of a 1950’s city in Ukraine to me or a village somewhere far far East.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the process you make with this :)

I finally got some spare time to download this and have a wander around, and I must say I'm very impressed!

Railways! Good ones too!, and lots of 'em! - that must have taken you ages! They look well though! A believable layout - same goes for the town and the map as a whole actually!...

Things do look a little sparse out-of-town... hey! it's a Beta! - in the town proper however, things look a lot more "lived in"... Trashcans, wheeliebins, park benches in places where you'd expect them - more of this would look even better!

Some nicely done and logical garden arrangements all adds to the impression of a believable place!

It's BIG too! A lot bigger than you'd think at first!I flew around in an AH-6 for a while, but then I landed at the edge of the city and started walking around at random... an hour later I was still finding little interesting and well laid-out places!

Well done!

I'm already planning a port of my favourite little MP "city" mission.... it'll be even scarier in the dark with shotguns and no nightvisions - with no streetlights as well! ;)

If you ever return to this project, one thing I'd suggest is that you take a close look at the town segments on the mask - if you could sneak an additional surface type in the city, then a "short - at least occasionally cropped" grass type would be nice... surely some people mow their lawn now and then? ;)

I would say BI should consider apply you as a terrain designer for sure

Consistently professional Jakerod!

For an "imaginary" town layout this is tremendous - especially for a Beta! - there's more than enough here to show where this project was heading and it's all good!

Solidly set in the Chernarus genre, with a little more finishing it wouldn't look out of place in a DLC!

Hope you have the time to revisit it sometime.....

meantime - back to mission-porting :)

B

Edited by Bushlurker