Sign in to follow this  
pchaxor

Linux Server for v1.62 - Status (NOT A RANTING THREAD!)

RANTING = To suddenly give a long speech that usually results in rambling and repeating of nonsence.

Old thread locked and then redirected to now an irrelevant ranting post in a beta forum...

This time probably days, not hours. Certainly not today. There are some inhouse technical problems with linux atm.

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137632-ARMA-2-OA-beta-build-95248-%281-62-MP-build%29&p=2193863#post2193863

Just wanted to create this so it is relevant in the forum most Linux admins are going to look.

Just an update:

Bugs were found in the Linux server code a few days before launch so it was postponed and is being worked on.

"It will be ready when it is ready" is what I gathered from searching and reading through posts.

There is no new news as of yet so please just try to be patient.

*** If you rant in this post it will get locked so please no ranting. I would like this post to serve only as a place to get updates on the status of the linux server for those that want to know.

Edited by pchaxor

Might be useful to reference the sources and authors.

I was actually going to create one of these posts myself, devs tend to get a bit touchy about even saying "look dudes, it's gonna be at least a week, just deal with it".

With the latest ACE update as well now with 1.62 dependencies our team of 30+ is pretty much dead in the water until something happens here.

Sucks, but it'd be nice to at least be able to tell the guys something.

Also just random useless fact: I've counted 23 active Linux servers all sitting on 1.60 right now (with 0 players).

Edited by Lokyi

As said in the first post, no spam or flaming here. The first one already got his infraction for his useless rant. And be sure we have plenty of infractions in stock. In addition to infractions, I'll ban everyone from this thread who thinks he can rant here about something that he hasn't even bought but given to him for free.

Just on that note Wolle, I'm sure there are teams like us out there that would be quite happy to pay for a server license!

We all buy the game, in fact I've bought a couple of copies myself. Most of us also buy all the expansions, and we'll probably all buy Arma3 as well. It's all got to be paid for somehow, or BIS wouldn't exist and then we'd all be even sadder!

So please, we are trying to be respectful in asking for a little snippet of news on the situation and not have our noses cut off.

I'll ban everyone from this thread who thinks he can rant here about something that he hasn't even bought but given to him for free.

Don't look at the size of this post and just ban me for ranting, because I appreciate all you've done for the community, and I believe the BIS team is working hard on the new linux release, which I am looking forward to patiently. However, I think you should be a bit more polite, or hide your anger at the ranters, if only because any negativity will send more linux people into ragemode crying "we have been screwed by DayZ/Microsoft/etc!" I've been doing my part telling people to calm down and wait for the update, but I kind of resent the "given to him for free" comment. Yes, we get free server updates for you - and everyone with a brain appreciates the awesome service and continuing improvement of the game from BIS. But Linux admins are not freeloaders. I for one have spent almost $1000 hosting a server that, until it emptied out a couple days ago because of the Steam update, had been full with 64 players for the last month whenever it wasn't getting DDoSed (takistan life revolution), keeping people playing arma 2 MP when they get bored of DayZ. I have even kept paying for the server now that I've been laid off and living out of my car for a while, unable to play the game on my laptop, I haven't gotten a penny for it. So I think I have given a little bit back to the community and the game's replayability. I would happily pay for a server license too.

EDIT: And if we are angry at anyone it should be Steam, IMO, for making it impossible for people to downgrade to 1.60 while we wait.

Edited by Zumbi

Don't look at the size of this post and just ban me for ranting, because I appreciate all you've done for the community, and I believe the BIS team is working hard on the new linux release, which I am looking forward to patiently. However, I think you should be a bit more polite, or hide your anger at the ranters, if only because any negativity will send more linux people into ragemode crying "we have been screwed by DayZ/Microsoft/etc!" I've been doing my part telling people to calm down and wait for the update, but I kind of resent the "given to him for free" comment. Yes, we get free server updates for you - and everyone with a brain appreciates the awesome service and continuing improvement of the game from BIS. But Linux admins are not freeloaders. I for one have spent almost $1000 hosting a server that, until it emptied out a couple days ago because of the Steam update, had been full with 64 players for the last month whenever it wasn't getting DDoSed (takistan life revolution), keeping people playing arma 2 MP when they get bored of DayZ. I have even kept paying for the server now that I've been laid off and living out of my car for a while, unable to play the game on my laptop, I haven't gotten a penny for it. So I think I have given a little bit back to the community and the game's replayability. I would happily pay for a server license too.

EDIT: And if we are angry at anyone it should be Steam, IMO, for making it impossible for people to downgrade to 1.60 while we wait.

Sign!

Same here!

P.S. I think we have in this forum a lot of programmers that can help with the patch... Inc. Me...

Not a rant here, just looking for information reguarding linux server update. We appreciate all the free stuff. In turn, our bunch promotes your paid products. We run an Arma 2 server and a Combined Operation server. We have successfully found new players on our Arma 2 server playing Arma 2 free and convinced them to purchase CO in order to try our more fully featured CO server. Many in our bunch have also purchased the expansions. Unfortunately some newly Paid Steam players must revert to playing our Arma 2 free compatible server or find another. If it would help the BI team, I would not mind paying for a server license. I've never made a dime from our server or have expected to. Its a labor of love for the game and I'll continue to promote it on a daily basis. I appreciate all past Linux support by BI. The Linux alternative has enabled a more feasible solution for admins with more brains than money. That does not go unrecognized. Lokyi and Zumbi I agree. Keep your heads and good will up. Some of the posts in the previously thread were down right obnoxious and were in no way promotive or encouraging of BI. If anybody has any insight on status, It would be appreciated immensely.

Edited by Jigsor

Zumbi

Unfortunately, we cannot permit public discussion about forum moderation here. Perhaps have you had made your points without engaging w0lle about his moderation style it would have been better. You should have pm'd w0lle if you have a personal problem with the way he moderates.

+1 warning for public discussion on how the forum is moderated

§18) No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter. You may also ask your questions in the "Ask a mod" thread; however that thread is not to be used to attack/rant against specific moderators or about specific rules but more for questions/answers.

I would advise everyone to take a step back and think about what they are going to post, and for new users like Zumbi to read the forum rules.

Sounds like a bunch of ranting useless information that has nothing to do with the actual release or status of the 1.62 Linux Server.

RANTING = To suddenly give a long speech that usually results in rambling and repeating of nonsence.

Please shut the hell up unless your name is Suma, Dwarden, Maruk or a Moderator that has valuable information that results in education and knowledge.

99% of Linux server admins just want to know WHEN and this thread will hopefully get an update next week telling them when to expect it or why it is not happening.

Your ranting (like I am doing now) will only cause this thread to get locked. Please stop so we can use this thread for COMMUNICATION purposes.

If you have something to say about DayZ or whatever else ... there are PLENTY of threads out there. Not this one. again: please.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Thanks Max Powers for enforcing. Feel free to lock the thread if you feel you have to.

Suma, Maruk and Mods can post in locked threads so this may be best anyways.

Edited by pchaxor

As said in the first post, no spam or flaming here. The first one already got his infraction for his useless rant. And be sure we have plenty of infractions in stock. In addition to infractions, I'll ban everyone from this thread who thinks he can rant here about something that he hasn't even bought but given to him for free.

I am wondering one thing here.. Do you feel the dedicated server is just a freebie? I thought the dedicated server came with the game, that we paid for? Personally I bought the game twice(CO+BAF+PMC then ArmA X) and I havent even played the singleplayer campaigns/missions, I bought it solely for multiplayer. I feel much the same way as mr.niceguy said in his post, however I don't type it out in the forums. If BIS had been smarter they would have finalized the linux server and released everything at the same time.

As for contributing with something more positive, here is what Suma posted in another thread.

The trouble is the porting of 1.62 is more difficult then usual, therefore the version we have does not have glitches, as it is not compilable at all at the moment. The project changes were more extensive this time than before, requiring us to significantly modify the Linux makefile and to upgrade the compiler as well.

We are sorry for the delay, but we are really working on it and there is nothing we can do to make it happen faster.

I am wondering one thing here.. Do you feel the dedicated server is just a freebie? I thought the dedicated server came with the game, that we paid for? Personally I bought the game twice(CO+BAF+PMC then ArmA X) and I havent even played the singleplayer campaigns/missions, I bought it solely for multiplayer. I feel much the same way as mr.niceguy said in his post, however I don't type it out in the forums. If BIS had been smarter they would have finalized the linux server and released everything at the same time.

As for contributing with something more positive, here is what Suma posted in another thread.

The Linux dedicated server is indeed a free giveaway. Only the windows server executable is included. At least none of my boxes say something about that a free Linux Server is included or will be available for free.

Chegy, Zumbi

My announcement has nothing to do with anger, but you hopefully agree that ranting here (or anywhere else) doesn't get anyone anything faster.

The Linux Server for 1.62 will be available once the programmers have done their job and it was tested. No matter how many threads and rant posts are made. Accept it.

The Linux dedicated server is indeed a free giveaway. Only the windows server executable is included. At least none of my boxes say something about that a free Linux Server is included or will be available for free.

Perhaps so, but factor in how many of the dedicated servers are actually running linux...

The facts are in. It is what it is. Just be patient.

The facts are in. It is what it is. Just be patient.

I think the issue is that the previous threads and the ranting, have served their purpose, which is to show BIS that the Linunx server is indeed an important part of the release, and that many dedicated, long term players feel like their loyalty was not being appreciated. While we accept that the Linux server is not going to happen by magic, I think that voicing our displeasure (and also frequently, pleasure) is an important part of the feedback loop between developer and customer. I would suggest that the CEO or other appropriate representative issue an official statement, both on the status of the Linux server (whether it is to be supported fully in the future, or wether we should shut down our servers) and to clarify their position in terms of Dayz. The odd forum post and a couple of casual interviews are serving only to cause uncertainty and uncertainty is never good. Regular updates from BIS (and only BIS) to reassure and keep their fanbase informed, would be appreciated.

Chegy, Zumbi

My announcement has nothing to do with anger, but you hopefully agree that ranting here (or anywhere else) doesn't get anyone anything faster.

The Linux Server for 1.62 will be available once the programmers have done their job and it was tested. No matter how many threads and rant posts are made. Accept it.

Well i know the guys are doing there best... Hope they will get the job done... Btw. I think every server or pc should use Linux... I use it on my other 2 pc's and my servers... windows 7 only on my gaming pc unfortunately.

Steam is getting rdy to go Linux...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/steams-newell-windows-8-catastrophe-driving-valve-to-embrace-linux/

Hope to see it soon!

in the last day i read already the same new updates for windowserver at version 1.62, but where is the new announced update for linux? are the linuxhoster not important? most of the people which are online before the dayz mod are intruced was playing on linux dedicated too, most of the clans have a linux server for many reasons, like the low costs, stability, reliability and at least they are more secure than windows server.

but its not important, only more than thousand people wait for a linux patch 1.62 and exactly these thousand people was there at at time before dayz, and played arma 2 where it was not as good running as it is now.

would be great if i can get a answer, when the patch for linux probably would be release.

--------------------------------------- and next day next week ...... next?

WINE is shit is not stability

First, if you don't have anything constructive to post, don't post at all. Second, you probably missed the "(NOT A RANTING THREAD!)" remark in the thread title. And last, watch your language.

Usually the first time i let people get away with a warning but i feel that +1 Infraction might be more appropriate to show you whats tolerable and what not.

would be great if i can get a answer, when the patch for linux probably would be release.

The answer is:

When it's done and tested

The answer is:

When it's done and tested

Is that the official BIS response?