Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 94876 (1.61 MP build)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

mirror: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21978430/ARMA2_OA_Build_94876.zip

[94761] TBB 4.0 update 5, (tbb40_20120613oss, http://threadingbuildingblocks.org/ver.php?fid=187)

* minor fixes and tweaks

** this beta is 1.61.xxxxx and not MP compatible with old 1.60 betas

BattEye support: ...ready...

Edited by Dwarden

May I ask what this "Threading building Blocks" activly does?

Something to do with improved hyperthreading support, or better Core optimisation on Intels?

May I ask what this "Threading building Blocks" activly does?

Something to do with improved hyperthreading support, or better Core optimisation on Intels?

From the TBB FAQ:

What is TBB?

Intel® Threading Building Blocks (TBB) is a popular software C++ template library that simplifies the development of software applications running in parallel (key to any multicore computer). Intel TBB extends C++ for parallelism in an easy to use and efficient manner. It is designed to work with any C++ compiler thus simplifying development of applications for multi-core systems.

Intel TBB is a C++ template library that adds parallel programming for C++ programmers. It uses generic programming to be efficient.

Threading Building Blocks includes algorithms, highly concurrent containers, locks and atomic operations, a task scheduler and a scalable memory allocator. These components in TBB can be used individually or all together to ease C++ development for multi-core.

Intel TBB provides an abstraction for parallelism that avoids the low level programming inherent in the direct use of threading packages such as p-threads or Windows threads. It has programmers express tasks instead of threads.

Intel TBB facilitates scalable performance in a way that works across a variety of machines for today, and readies programs for tomorrow. It detects the number of cores on the hardware platform and makes the necessary adjustments as more cores are added to allow software to adapt. Thus, more effectively taking advantage of multi-core hardware.

BattleEye on all the servers with newest beta just started kicking everybody. "Corrupted memory #0"

Can you provide a little more info?

Minor fixes and tweaks being bugs introduced in previous betas, security updates & other stuff that doesn't deserve mention.

So will this TBB update improve performance?

I can't join any online mp server at all. I think its because most servers are still on 1.60.

Should we start getting the servers updated to the latest 1.61 beta patch or hold on first?

Edited by ryan80

I can't join any online mp server at all. I think its because most servers are still on 1.60.

Should we start getting the servers updated to the latest 1.61 beta patch or hold on first?

Depends on what you want to do with your server. If its a public vanilla server, then no. But if you're running a private server then maybe.

Depends on what you want to do with your server. If its a public vanilla server, then no. But if you're running a private server then maybe.

Actually its a private server which runs ACE + ACRE mod.

Actually its a private server which runs ACE + ACRE mod.

Then do what you will, just make sure everyone else that uses the server is on the same page.

Thought I wonder what this threading update does? Fixes that the AI now uses 2 cpus or??

Thought I wonder what this threading update does? Fixes that the AI now uses 2 cpus or??

More efficient memory management

Most likely nothing at all. TBB Allocator seems not to be touched in this update. Just keeping versions in sync.

The ArmA2 "Beta" is required to run, and host, DayZ.

The latest beta however is not required (and hasn't been for quite a few beta releases). It hasn't mattered much if server hosts updated their beta versions, as clients on older versions could still connect.

It seems a lot of DayZ server owners have already just recently upgraded to 94876, essentially turning their servers into ARMA2 1.61 servers. This was not necessary as far as I know. Of course this means every ARMA2 player out there who wants to play DayZ today onwards, will need to upgrade to the latest beta.

They won't be able to play on vanilla ARMA2 servers either with the beta, unless those servers also quickly update to 1.61 right?

The latest beta however is not required (and hasn't been for quite a few beta releases). It hasn't mattered much if server hosts updated their beta versions, as clients on older versions could still connect.

It seems a lot of DayZ server owners have already just recently upgraded to 94876, essentially turning their servers into ARMA2 1.61 servers. This was not necessary as far as I know. Of course this means every ARMA2 player out there who wants to play DayZ today onwards, will need to upgrade to the latest beta.

They won't be able to play on vanilla ARMA2 servers either with the beta, unless those servers also quickly update to 1.61 right?

Pretty much. Frankly, though, everyone should be using the betas anyway.

Pretty much. Frankly, though, everyone should be using the newest beta anyway.

Fixed that for you :)

The changelog states the version is required; http://stats.six-updater.net/mods/changelog/84950cc2-8d47-11e1-baaa-001517bd964c

Also some servers configure a reqBuild and thus you cannot join with older betas.

Keep an expansion\beta and an expansion\beta_old, run with beta_old for older servers.