Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

POV flicker in Hinds

I've just installed the Hinds DLC and immediately noticed quite a severe problem when playing with TrackIR. Sometimes the game will get into a state where the POV (point of view) seems to be read incorrectly in an intermittent fashion. Ie, if i'm looking off-center then I'll start seeing severe flicker as some proportion of frames are rendered with an on-center POV. It's almost as if the game has decided that the input from the TrackIR is out of range and ignored it. When it's at its worst, the effect is very visible as a flickering 'ghost' image of the world. To try to explain this a bit better, imagine a sequence of frames being rendered by the game....

Frame 0 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 1 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 2 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 3 : rendered INCORRECTLY with zero POV offset

Frame 4 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 5 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 6 : rendered INCORRECTLY with zero POV offset

Frame 7 : rendered INCORRECTLY with zero POV offset

Frame 8 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 8 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 10 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

Frame 11 : rendered INCORRECTLY with zero POV offset

Frame 12 : rendered correctly using TIR POV offset

etc

Initially I thought this was a problem with the TIR sensor but there's no sign of it when looking at the inputs in the TIR calibration/monitoring software. The other odd thing is that I've only seen it occur in the Hind models (and so far, only in the challenge missions). If I play in other helicopters in the editor I don't see the effect at all.

I'm playing with the latest version of the game (1.06, no mods) and the Hinds DLC downloaded within the last few days.

TrackIR is also the latest version.