Sign in to follow this  
A-SUICIDAL

Real Car Alarms - with Video

This is a test mission I created using scripts that I wrote that enables a player to pick the lock of a locked vehicle. When picking a lock a car alarm will go off(I created my own car, pickup and truck alarm sounds). Once the lock is picked and the vehicle is unlocked - the alarm sound will stop and a quick chirp sound will occur letting you know the vehicle alarm is now disarmed. You can also shoot a vehicle and when it takes damage the alarm will go off for 1 minute, but only if the vehicle alarm has not yet been disarmed. After one minute has passed and the alarm has stopped, the alarm will become ready again, so damaging the vehicle further will set the alarm off again for another full minute. If you shoot the vehicle while the alarm is already going off, it will not play another "over-lapping" alarm sound. This script is very useful (and fun) in the 2 man stealth mission I am creating where one of the objectives is to "Steal a car" and there are enemy in the area where the vehicles are located, so an alarm is likely to go off when a bullet hits a vehicle. Lock pick time is 8 seconds. The car alarm has a sound radius of 150 meters. When choosing to repair a vehicle, you will be given a hint letting you know that you must first unlock the vehicle before being able to repair it. When a vehicle is fully destroyed, the alarm will be disabled completely and both the "Pick Lock" and "Repair Vehicle" actions are removed.

So far the scripts are bug free as far as I can tell, but I want to test it further before releasing it.

I'm not sure if anybody has already created a similar car alarm script, I haven't looked, but this is something I created all on my own today. I'm still a novice when it comes to scripting. I started creating a new 2 man MP Coop/SinglePlayer mission today and it's the first time I've worked on anything related to Arma 2 since I last released a 14 man coop mission !!![CO-14]Infiltration(OA)v2 back in the middle of February this year. I've already gotten rusty at scripting, but my inventive mind is still brewing with new ideas.

And I just wanted to say "Hi!" to a bunch of my friends in the forum that I have not seen in quite a while :D

Updated Video & Download Sample - Lights are now incorporated. Edited by A-SUICIDAL

I remember when I played Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for the first time and I shot a car and the alarm started going off and I thought "wow, that's so cool". I had never seen that before in a FPS game. I also remember way way back when I first started playing OFP Cold Crisis and there was a SP mission called "Steal the car" if I remember correctly. It was a short mission, but I played it over and over again. In my the new MP Coop/Single Player mission I am working on, the first objective after a HALO insertion is to steal a car. I want to create the first objective similar to the old OFP mission, and I just had to give the cars alarms, because I miss hearing them in Advanced Warfighter. It should be a good mission when it's done. For the first time I will be tackling how to use random placement of things like enemy units and vehicles, friendly waypoints and whatever else I can make random. I want the mission to have unlimited playability (never plays the same way twice). I hope it works out.

This is a great idea. I wrote a mission a month ago that sets off car alarms from an explosion, mine is fairly basic, so it is nice to see someone wrote a more in depth alarm script.

This is pretty cool A-SUICIDAL, although comical at the same time...

Your car alarm system probably cost more than the cars you're trying to steal...:D

Now maybe on something like these:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX

Nissan 350z

Nissan GTR R34 Skyline

I know this was for demonstration purposes. Keep up the good work.

Edited by panther42

Those car links you posted, you just reminded me that I need to start working on the new cars for my racing team for Game Stock Car. They just released the 2012 Game Stock Car update that uses all new car templates from the 2011 series cars, so I need to start working on them in Photoshop asap since my team currently has no cars to use :(

These are the cars I designed for my racing team that are no longer usable with the new 2012 Game stock car release.

And this is a sample of what the game is actually like(might need to login to view it):

I want to learn the track editor next. Like 4 different games that I am creating stuff for right now, heh. Never gets boring.

not that i play DAYZ much - but your idea above seems pretty cool - and would probably be a good addition to any zombie mod. With that in mind may worth splitting/giving the option to disarm the alarm first prior to picking the lock. Sure the chaps making the zombie mods will snap this from you - nice one.

Well, I'm just a novice at scripting and my sample mission only works for 4 vehicles that use the names "car", "hatchback", "pickup" and "truck". Most all the scripting is done the "poor man" ghetto way, lol. What I originally wanted to do was create a script that would detect the vehicle type and then add the alarm system to specific civilian vehicles. First the vehicles would need to be set as "locked" in order for it to work. Then I thought that maybe it would be easier to just have the script run on all civilian vehicles, but detect the type of vehicle and then apply the correct alarm sound, so a truck alarm would be different from a car alarm.

There are many things to take into account when writing a script like this, for instance...

Requirements before alarm sound can play:

1. Vehicle is alive.

2. Vehicle has been hit.

3. Vehicle lock is being picked.

4. Alarm is not currently playing an alarm sound.

Alarm will not play if:

1. Vehicle is dead.

2. Alarm is currently playing.

3. Vehicle alarm has been is disarmed.

To get alarm to play:

1. Attach invisible H to car.

2. Have helipad "say" the sound.

3. Wait aprox 50 secs and delete the H to stop the sound.

After picking a lock - stop the sound, but then attach another H and have it say the "ChirpChirp" sound.

I'm not ready to write such a script that would work for all civilian vehicles. Maybe one day I might reach an advanced scripting status, but for now I have to struggle. There are plenty of guys in these forums that do have the skills to make it work, and it would be a fun little project for somebody with the skills and the spare time. For now I have it working great for a few vehicles and I can easily expand it to work for more vehicles if I need to, but yeah, it would be great if it worked for all civilian vehicles, then you could just plop an "Ambient Civilian Vehicles" module in your mission and- well you get the picture.

Yeah, in the zombie mod it would work great. The vehicle alarm sound could be scripted to alert zombies and make them move to the vehicles position. Make the lock pick time longer, like 30 seconds.

I can probably look into this for you and help you create one just let me know if your interested. It should be able to be done with an array of the vehicle classnames of the vehicles you want this the alarm attached to, and we could probably even get rid of the invisible H.

Whether also what about beam they can blink as with a sound?

i think he means the lights on the car will flash on and off whilst the car alarm has sounded.