Hi everyone - long-time fan of CC on the Amiga and thrilled to be able to play BI's re-imagining of it - noticed a few things in my play-throughs though - some of these will be familiar to you (just adding my voice) other have possibly gone unnoticed so I'm posting them here
1) Production is agonizingly slow - this may improve when you have more islands in the final game but right now it's painful (I spend a lot of time just 'time-warping' back and forth between islands so I can build stuff) - either it needs to be sped up or a 'global' time-warp button needs to be added to accelerate the game.
2) Crashes - this game crashes a lot - just random lock-ups and freezes - sometimes when quitting - overall it feels very unstable.
3) Carrier difficulty - is it just me, or does the enemy carrier either seem incredibly strong (I once had it nuke all my systems in under a minute) or incredibly weak (I've caught up with it several times and blown it to bits without sustaining any damage whatsoever) - enemy carrier A.I. seems just really - off. Seems strange that it doesn't release Mantas or Walruses either? Also, when you sink it - it uh - just sits there - could we have it sink? (in CC it actually blew to bits).
4) Sort-of related - I've actually suffered more damage at the hands of some Walruses chasing me from an island blowing the c**p out of me with rockets - makes the enemy carrier just seem kind of anti-climatic.
5) And speaking of that - why do we win when we capture the penultimate island? I want to win the game by capturing them all!
6) I've noticed what I consider a bug with the carrier's defensive/offensive targetting - if you're near it, it'll target an island's command center - I tried carrying a Walrus equipped with a hack module via a Manta, fought my way past lots of enemies, dropped off the Walrus only to find the carrier had blown the command center to bits
7) Oh, and if you leave the carrier in range and build a new command center, it'll start shooting at that too
8) Which may or may not have caused another bug - in one instance I set up a command center only to find (when it was built) that it wasn't defence, mining or factory (wasn't doing anything in fact) and it wouldn't let me change it to one of those (and weirdly, when I tried it put a big, blue 'X' over it on the map - wha..??)
9) Oh, and why doesn't the carrier defend itself when you have it selected (as opposed to the Mantas or the Walruses) - I like watching stuff happen from the carrier view but if you use that and you're under attack the carrier won't fight back
So that's my first impressions - despite its quirks though, I love this game - can wait to play the finished version - good job BI!!
*AAARGH!* Here's another bugbear - had a run in with the enemy carrier - both of us took some heavy damage - he runs leaving his Walruses behind which happily do more damage to me than the carrier did - I plot a course to follow and finish the job but my engines have been taken out by the Walruses. Thing is, I can't launch anything because I'm 'not stationary' even though my engines are out - I proceed to get the c**p kicked out of me even though I've got a (working) hangar full of Mantas and Walruses