Sign in to follow this  
smokedog3para

Setting up summerplants v1.0 in p\: drive

Hi all wanted to use these plants and trees but am not sure on set up as the prefix path is this. ca\plants2\plant

But i dont know if i can use that path as will it interfere with my p drive original ca folder with the original models.

please if any 1 knows

I thought that when you had summerplants loaded as a mod it automatically replaced trees. Or at least that's what happened to me on Zernovo.

Hi all wanted to use these plants and trees but am not sure on set up as the prefix path is this. ca\plants2\plant

But i dont know if i can use that path as will it interfere with my p drive original ca folder with the original models.

please if any 1 knows

The single most important thing to remember about this old Summerplants project is that there's TWO versions!

Firstly, there's the pretty familiar ready-made Automatic Summer Vegetation Replacement Pack

This is probably the version familiar to most people, and it's the one both SmokeDog & Jakerod are referring to above...

This is a plug-and-play automatic replacement pack... You load the addon like any other Mod... it'll basically override the default Arma 2 "autumn vegetation" with its built-in summer versions...

It'll do this for ANY & ALL terrains it finds which use the default Arma 2 vegetation...

So - load Jakerods excellent Zeronvo terrain on its own - you get Autumn Zernovo

Add the Summer Veg Replacement Pack to your startup command, and it'll be transformed to Summer Zernovo!

Drop the replacement pack from your launch command - you're back to Autumn Zernovo again...

So far - so good, and a nice bonus for those terrains using the default stuff - Zernovo, of course... Hotzenplotz's URR Islands series, etc etc...

As yet another bonus - (and I'm still not sure exactly how he managed to implement it!) - Beton included a "Summer Chernarus Satellite Layer" in this Summer Replacement Pack, which - for Chernarus only! - actually replaces the autumn-looking overall satellite layer as well!

Clever stuff... plug and play.... designed for players really, though its something for us islandmakers to bear in mind when deciding which vegetation to use...

Hotz's URR terrains series are such a good example...

You can download Hotz's terrains - load 'em up and off you go... Autumn look all round - no Summerplants REQUIREMENT at all... they stand alone...

However, Hotz RECOMMENDS the "Summer Veg Replacement Pack", and indeed, uses it himself in a lot of his screenshots, etc... but, it's merely a "recommendation", NOT a requirement...

Players can just download the terrain itself and they're good to go... or they can grab the summer replacement files as well - use them whenever they want, or not at all - the terrain works either way...

Now lets take a look at another well-known island, Icebreakr's Duala...

As we all know, Duala uses Berghoff's much-loved "African Foliage Pack", but - it's NOT an "optional extra" - those trees are "hardwired" into the terrain - they're a "requirement"... otherwise the terrain won't work at all!

There's a separate Summer Vegetation Pack designed to be used, by islandmakers, in this way... just like "Berghoff's African Veg"...

The Summerplants Islandmakers Version contains exactly the same summer plants versions of all the default Arma 2 veg - just like the automatic replacement pack...

The difference is - they're pathed differently!

This is to avoid exactly the situation that Smokedog is currently pondering...

The REPLACEMENT PACK is pathed IDENTICALLY to the A2 vegetation, because it's designed to override it in-game!

The ISLANDMAKERS PACK is the same veg, but its designed to be used in exactly the same way as Berghoff's Trees - to be hardwired into the actual terrain...

So, basically... you decide whether to offer "Summer" as a player option, or as a hardwired requirement...

If you decide on the "player option" - use the default Arma 2 veg, and "recommend" the Summerplants Replacement Pack, just like Hotzenplotz...

If you decide on the "hardwired" option, then.....

• Unpack it to your P:\ drive, so you have a "P:\summplants" folder - inside there will be the usual "bush", "tree","plants", etc folders - with models inside each

• Add these models to your Visitor "Natural Objects" list, and use them in your terrain like any other "additional objects pack"

... and the really important bit.....

• Tell all your users they need this pack too (or include it, or a link to it), in your download - like Berghoff's Trees for Duala - it's not an option, it's a REQUIREMENT...

* the links above point to the original release threads for both varieties of the Summer Veg stuff.... as always, it's worth skimming thru the whole thread - most of the obvious questions were asked at the time...

B

Cheers bush had the wrong version after some searching i found 2 threads and i was in the wrong 1 now i have the right version for island makers cheers mate good job