tpw

TPWC AI suppression system

Crumbs that's pretty bad bug.

I'm glad you spotted that!

Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

Crumbs that's pretty bad bug.

I'm glad you spotted that!

Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

A bad bug is one that causes your computer to explode. I will update shortly. Thanks Ollem!

EDIT: Here 'tis

TPWLOS 1.03: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/481663/TPW_AI_LOS_103.zip

Edited by tpw

Stupid question from a user who ought to know better...

Are we supposed to use all the tpw stuff together on a dedicated server?

I mean, I got the LOS 102 (i'll upgrade later) and the ai suppress PBOs in a folder that's loaded as an addon. There's a userconfig in the appropriate place. Is that it? Job Done?

I see what bDetect is, but is it embedded into CAS? Or is it another PBO I need to install?

Stupid question from a user who ought to know better...

Are we supposed to use all the tpw stuff together on a dedicated server?

I mean, I got the LOS 102 (i'll upgrade later) and the ai suppress PBOs in a folder that's loaded as an addon. There's a userconfig in the appropriate place. Is that it? Job Done?

I see what bDetect is, but is it embedded into CAS? Or is it another PBO I need to install?

bDetect is already embedded in the tpwcas PBO.

TPWLOS is needed server side only

TPWCAS is needed both server side and client side if you want AI to be able to suppress players, players be able to suppress players, or AI/Players be able to suppress AI part of a players group.

Also visual debug will not work well if only used server side.

I'm currently working on an optimized version specifically for COOP Dedicated Servers only: it will be server side only and will only allow players to suppress AI.

I think I have done it right then, Ollem. They are on my dedicated server that runs a domination edit, so all the players are clients and all the AI are on the server. Debug is already off in the userconfig so I'm good there.

Many thanks.

Yes and thanks for working on the COOP dedi version as well

:yay:

I'm currently working on an optimized version specifically for COOP Dedicated Servers only: it will be server side only and will only allow players to suppress AI.

Thanks for the update Ollem. I've been trying to enable TPWCAS for our coop dedicated server for quite some time with no success. Wasn't it suppose to work until now? We are mainly interested on human players to be able to suppress AI that are managed by the server.

Edited by Variable

TPWCAS Dedicated Server COOP only version, with embedded TWPLOS - version Beta 0.2

(special modified version based on TPWCAS 3.04 and TPWLOS 1.03)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96469595/TPWCAS_DSC_v0.2.zip

NOTE:

please make sure no other tpwcas or tpwlos is active while otherwise things will most likely go foobar bigtime... (both server and client side)

This version will

- only run on a dedicated server (no client side script/pbo needed)

- only trigger AI suppression by player shot bullets

- only trigger LOS for AI being able to see players.

- not show color changes for debug balls - height of the ball will indicate level and kind of suppression/tpwlos will activate seperate ball so 2 balls may be visible at same time

- server.rpt logging is disabled by default, however debug balls are enabled by default in tpwcas_dsc.sqf and tpwcas_dsc.hpp files

- tpwlos has been adjusted, and does include stance dependency too: prone or kneeled players will have reduced chance of being detected

Current beta version is available as script version or unsigned PBO.

If it appears to be working well I will either formally release separately or embed it in the formal twpcas release as a config select option.

For script version:

Embed tpwcas_dsc directory in your mission file and start using:

null = [] execvm "tpwcas_dsc\tpwcas_dsc.sqf";

For PBO version:

Add mod to server startup config

copy/move userconfig\tpwcas_dsc\tpwcas_dsc.hpp to <arma dir>\userconfig\tpwcas_dsc\ and adjust parameters when applicable

Feedback is highly appreciated

And remember: in the unlikely occasion FPS might drop due to these scripts, just stop shooting and move away from AI at least 100 m ;)

Edited by Ollem
minor update / add unsigned pbo version

Can we have an addon version to test for dedis, please?

Can we have an addon version to test for dedis, please?

See above: it's part of v0.2

=> extract to @TPWCAS_DSC and copy userconfig to userconfig dir if you want to adjust settings.

There's no key file (yet), but while it's server side only this doesn't really matter

Ollem! We tried the pbo version on the Comrades in Arms coop server. I left debug on and we saw that the addon works great! Enemy units were suppressed nicely and we really could use infantry tactics of suppression and flank! This is a dream come true, now this game is going to be plyaed REALLY like it should! :yay:

One issue - We saw only red bulbs for suppressed enemy units. Should we see also yellow and/or green ones?

Edited by Variable

See above: it's part of v0.2

=> extract to @TPWCAS_DSC and copy userconfig to userconfig dir if you want to adjust settings.

There's no key file (yet), but while it's server side only this doesn't really matter

Misread your post. Will install and test soon.

Ollem! We tried the pbo version on the Comrades in Arms coop server. I left debug on and we saw that the addon works great! Enemy units were suppressed nicely and we really could use infantry tactics of suppression and flank! This is a dream come true, now this game is going to be plyaed REALLY like it should! :yay:

One issue - We saw only red bulbs for suppressed enemy units. Should we see also yellow and/or green ones?

Thanks for the update!

About the issue: see my post above - last line of my red marked NOTEs: :p

- not show color changes for debug balls - height of the ball will indicate level and kind of suppression/tpwlos will activate seperate ball so 2 balls may be visible at same time

(Reason for this is color changes would require client side code)

Thanks for the explanation Ollem, I guess I was so eager to install it on the server that I missed that hehe...

It's hard to distinguish the height of the balls though at distance, I'll try to have another look next coop night.

Hi, sort of lost track here - isn't 1.04 the latest version, I only see mention of 1.03 ?

Thanks,

OP

Thanks for the explanation Ollem, I guess I was so eager to install it on the server that I missed that hehe...

It's hard to distinguish the height of the balls though at distance, I'll try to have another look next coop night.

The height diff is indeed a bit hard to notice.

However, if the AI goes prone or kneel it doesn't really matter: the debug balls indicate the stance change was caused by suppression scripts.

Suppressing AI within 100m range will show 2 debug balls on top of each other - one for suppression and one for line of sight - but it's a challenge to watch that without getting killed :)

Hi, sort of lost track here - isn't 1.04 the latest version, I only see mention of 1.03 ?

Thanks,

OP

Maybe you just messed up with SUP (v3.04) & LOS (v1.03)?

Tested the serverversion (addons) on our server last night.

had the "REVEAL VALUE WHEN SUPPRESSED" on 2.5 and the ai was easy to kill. That parameter on 4.0 makes the ai to terminators, not playable.

What we have noticed was that the ai still got up to run or walk to sides while they were in heavy danger.

This behave allways ends into get killed.

That is the only problem i saw. They should be forced to lay down and not get up until the situation is clear.

I saw MG guys stand up an shoot on me to end up killed by 2 shots after 3sec.

I dunno why the stand up maybe they try to search for cover or they are forced to be in formation somehow...

Anyway this mod is on a good way to be a great fix for us.

Tested the serverversion (addons) on our server last night.

had the "REVEAL VALUE WHEN SUPPRESSED" on 2.5 and the ai was easy to kill. That parameter on 4.0 makes the ai to terminators, not playable.

What we have noticed was that the ai still got up to run or walk to sides while they were in heavy danger.

This behave allways ends into get killed.

That is the only problem i saw. They should be forced to lay down and not get up until the situation is clear.

I saw MG guys stand up an shoot on me to end up killed by 2 shots after 3sec.

I dunno why the stand up maybe they try to search for cover or they are forced to be in formation somehow...

Anyway this mod is on a good way to be a great fix for us.

I've seen the behavior you described myself too: the basic BIS AI behavior sometimes seem to overrule tpwcas commands. Will see what options we may have to improve.

(Maybe playMoveNow can do something here)

About reveal: the following accuracy settings are applicable for infantry:

[ 0 , 1.5 ] - side unknown, some position offset, identified as SoldierWB

[ 1.5, 1.6 ] - side identified, subjective cost set

[ 1.6, 2 ] - type identified better (USMC_Soldier_Base)

[ 2 , 3.6 ] - type identified precisely (USMC_Soldier)

[ 3.6, 4 ] - position identified precisely

So 4 means they instantly know the exact faction, enemy soldier type and location.

Current default tpwcas value is set to 1.25, which may indeed be too low for People-Versus-Ai

2 changes I'm planning to add to TPWCAS_DSC (so special dedicated server version):

- config option to enable/disable TPWLOS

- make TPWLOS FPS agile (Just like TPWCAS already does. I.e. slowdown TPWLOS refresh frequency or maybe stop temporarily when server fps gets below FPS threshold)

Maybe you just messed up with SUP (v3.04) & LOS (v1.03)?

Yeah, you're right - I confused the two. Better go upgrade LOS now !

Hi all. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Ollem for keeping the ball rolling on TPWCAS and TPWLOS. I'm having some RL issues which are making it difficult to devote the time and concentration this project deserves. Hopefully I'll be back on the horse before too long, to roll Ollem's and -Coulum-'s various work back into the next release.

I've seen the behavior you described myself too: the basic BIS AI behavior sometimes seem to overrule tpwcas commands. Will see what options we may have to improve. (Maybe playMoveNow can do something here)

Correct, there are at least 2 cases in which ArmA2 AI will ignore stance commands:

* When unit is fleeing;

* When unit is "covering" behind some objects, in this case it sticks to some predefined stance;

playMoveNow would work for making the unit temporarily go down, but usually it springs back to original stance.

Except for those 2 cases however, playMoveNow is useful to make units hit the dirt more quickly, since sometimes there's a bit of lag between setUnitPos command issuing and execution.

Be sure not to call it again before animation completion though.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I've been away for quite some time now, but i thought of this a few weeks ago. Would disableAI "FSM" allow us to reconfigure totally the way the AI react by preventing danger.fsm to kick in?

A suppressed unit could have its FSM disabled, then be ordered to get down, return fire and/or move to cover.

As I haven't followed this thread for some time i need to look at the actual code you guys use now to see if that could even be considered, but you might have an answer before i can do that.