Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Russians NEED scoped assault rife!

After Addonpack no. 3 the situation looks this way:

Western forces have 3 scoped assault rifles (XMS, Steyr, G36) and Russians don't have any.

Think that it doesn't improve the balance of the game neither in single nor multiplayer.

Maybe BIS should do something about it?

I'd like to have OC-14 Groza, but if we want to stay in 80s please just put a scope on one of the AK rifles as I got tired of their covering half of screen sights.

The russians also have 3 very much harder tanks - but I hear nobody complaining about imbalance!

Of the new weapons only the scoped XM fits into the story line anyway, so in actual fact the russians are only down buy one. In anycase the rifles the russians have are of more use (in my opinion) they are hugely powerful and have fully automatic (ok some US guns do too). I don't see it as a problem, this game is not about balance of side (or they wouldn't have put the resistance in) its about realism and game play.

I'm a infantry man and want that SCOPE on my AK!!!

Let the tank crews worry about their part.

Hmm M1 is harder than any russian tank in game. And noone uses M60 anyways.

For scoped rilfe it definately has to be VSS "Vintorez". IT was around since '87 i believe but Spetsnaz units have been using it since '83, especially popular in Afghanistan (actually it puzzles me why silenced Bizon was added instead of VSS, another peice of evidence of piss poor research being done by BIS).

vss.jpg

Caliber: 9x39mm SP-5 and SP-6 subsonic cartridges

Action: auto, selective fire, gas-operated, striker-fired.

Lenght: 894mm

Barrel lenght: 200 mm

Weight: empty: 2.6 kg, loaded w. scope PSO-1: 3.41 kg

Magazine: 10 rds detachable box

Muzzle bullet velocity: 290-300 m/s (~ 900 fps)

VSS (Vinovka Snaiperskaja Spetsialnaya = Special Sniper Rifle) was designed for special operations. Adopted by Russian Military and Special Law Reinforcement units in 1987. This rifle has integrated silencer and uses special subsonic ammo - 9mm cartridges SP-5 (special subsonic sniper cartridge) and SP-6 (special subsonic AP cartridge). With more precision SP-5 loads VSS provide a 75mm (ca. 3") 5 shots groups at 100 meters. SP-6 AP loads can pierce 8mm steel plate at 100 meters with heavy (16g) bullet with hardened steel core. VSS is intended for use at short and medium distances (up to 400 meters with telescope or up to 300 meters with night (IR) sight). Noise level of VSS is as low as 130dB, and is equivalet to noise of .22 unsilenced rifle. VSS was (and is) used in all local conflicts that Russian Army was involved in last decade.

Harder tanks? what the freaking heck?

The Russian do not even have a Main Battle Tank - The T90. They only got the 40 ton T80! The Yanks have the Abrams A1, at 67 tons!

And what else? the helicopters...russian need two more choppers with attack capabilities.

The guns, Russians need the scoped rifles....the silenced one mentioned here is good! (the VSS, but remember there are 4 other rifle models on the same line as the VSS all with different qualities)

The russians didn't have a whole bunch of high tech scoped assault rifles in that time period. How is it unfair for them?

War isn't fair. Suck it up. I'm sick of reading these posts asking for needless addons. Not everyone goes into a war equiped evenly with their opponent.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The russians didn't have a whole bunch of high tech scoped assault rifles in that time period. How is it unfair for them? <span id='postcolor'>

M1A1 did't has 120m main gun in that time but 105mm, same for AH64. G36 and AUG was not exist at that time also.

How is it fair for them?

It just a game after all.

The aug and g36 were s**ttty ideas for addons to begin with and the only time I've ever been able to use them in the game is in the missions I've created on mission editor so who gives a d*amn. I have no idea why they added 2 assault rifles that the US never used. It is unfair but irrelevant. I think i spelled that worng

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Soon2B 2nd LT on 5:05 am on Nov. 22, 2001

The russians didn't have a whole bunch of high tech scoped assault rifles in that time period.  How is it unfair for them?

War isn't fair.  Suck it up.  I'm sick of reading these posts asking for needless addons.  Not everyone goes into a war equiped evenly with their opponent.

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually there were quite a few "high tech" rifles. Take VSS as an example. Rifle is bloody revolutionary and makes no noise what-so-ever. Why isn't it in the game? Equipment like NV scopes, high power scopes, IR scopes was lavishly avaliable as well.

So i dont see your point here. Half of most widely used Russian equipment is not in the game, and US keeps getting new units.

Russian units added are full of f**k ups. take so-called BRDM-2 as an example. Is it BRDM-2? No... It is a Hungarian BRDM FUG created on the base of BRDM-1. Same with BMP-2, it is no BMP-2, but they simply took BMP-1 and put new cannon on it. I'm afraid real BMP2 has a little more than a new cannon.

Even AK-74 rifle is wrong. In fact they just made AK74 model and slapped muzzle compensator on it. It still has AK47 stock and magazine.

Su-25 has a Chzech markings on it for some reason....

So unfair situation for two sides is artificially created by BIS and their aim for "american market".

And lets not forget the GAU-8's damage amount! It would make Fairchild turn in its grave!

But back to the point... you say IR scopes were available in signifigant numbers? Argh... where were you to defend me on my NVG thread? wink.gif

I am tending to lean towards the rest of the worlds viewpoint on this though, the game is too focused on US units right now. I would really like to see the current units for all sides debugged and made more realistic for example, and maybe add a few units for the East to balance out the numerous Western upgrades. I was REALLY disappointed when I saw that they didnt even give the godd*amn BRDM (My personal favorite scout vehicle) a 12.7mm!

I really cant help but wonder why BIS didnt arm the HMMWV and BRDM... they wouldnt have had anything to lose by doing it sad.gif

Anyway, I do think the Russians should get maybe a scoped assault rifle (like this thread suggested), and another special weapon system (mortar perhaps?)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The aug and g36 were s**ttty ideas for addons<span id='postcolor'>

any addons, i mean ANY , always welcome. BI spend they time to create this extra toys for us. They don't have to do it. In my opinion to say "s**ttty" is not fair.

They doing great job.  

I personaly don't expect from them extra 15 units after reliase. Not many company support they products after they collect money. BI did what they promise.  

(Edited by AKM74 at 7:21 am on Nov. 22, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The russians didn't have a whole bunch of high tech scoped assault rifles in that time period. How is it unfair for them?

War isn't fair. Suck it up. I'm sick of reading these posts asking for needless addons. Not everyone goes into a war equiped evenly with their opponent. <span id='postcolor'>

Shut up you idiot. This is a game. It is important to have equal sides.

In real life it is unpredictable.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from fixOPFsoundsplease on 1:58 pm on Nov. 22, 2001

Boobus Americani was on the profit list rather than Euro peoples..

The main problem is that the T80 is only a 40 ton tank and the M1 Abrams is a 60 ton tank.<span id='postcolor'>

So?

Anyway, there's enough tanks, planes and choppers in OFP. But not enough basic infantry weapons and maybe Self Propelled Guns/Howitzers should be added? (think about BlackOp missions against enemy artillery etc smile.gif

Russians should be given the AN-94 abakan assault rifle!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Krechet1 on 6:27 am on Nov. 22, 2001

Actually there were quite a few "high tech" rifles. Take VSS as an example. Rifle is bloody revolutionary and makes no noise what-so-ever. <span id='postcolor'>

Uh, the info you posted above says it makes as much noise as an unsilenced .22 rifle; that's vastly louder than no noise what-so-ever.

Ok, fixOFPsoundsplease and 3DSHROOM, I really do not believe that Operation Flashpoint should have equal sides. Far from it. If you made equal sides all the realism that adds so much to the game play and atmosphere would go right out the window and it would turn into just another shoot-em-up. If the sides were perfectly balanced it would suck.

Part of the experience of playing this game is the need to learn your sides advantages and disadvantages. This adds lots in my opinion. If you want the sides to be equal then you'd want the resistance to suddenly be given all new hardware to be equal to the US and USSR armed forces, surely that sounds ridiculous to somebody.

I do believe that it would be nice to have more Russian units, but not so that they then have exaclty what the US have 'to make it even' but for more varienty and enjoyment.

Those of you complaining about the new weapon pack, whats the problem with it? BIS were very kind to add this for us despite the fact it wasn't promised to us, like the other stuff (that incidently did get to us). I am aware that only one of these rifles fits into the campaign storyline, buts thats not a problem surely, BIS didn't add them into the campaign.

AKM74, the AH-64 entered production in 1982 and the new assault rifles were not added into the campaign.

I know that these freebies were not what some of us necessarily wanted, but you can't complain about what you were given very generously for free.

I do not state that the sides should have mirrored units. I say the sides should have the same overall potency.

This is achieved by say, if West has 1000 unit points and East has 1000 unit points, to use up, West and East would have the same amount of force strength in total. But they would have different weak spots.

East might have stronger APC's, and West? perhaps stronger tanks, and so on. the overal unit value is the same, however like all good Strategy games are, the units on each side are stronger in some areas then others.

In this sense one would not add a T90 to equal the M1A1, one would add a stronger APC or Chopper to equal the M1A1.

So its equal totals, with diverse strengths.

^where do you get this crap?^ This game was made as a fairly realistic single player cold war era shooter. I assume you're b*tching about it being unfair in multiplayer mode. Well sorry to break it to you but multiplayer is just a thing people throw in for extra fun. Thats not what the game is based around.

Suck it up and drive on soldier

Well I would walk over and jump out but, considering I'm on the first floor of my house at the moment, I'm "presuming" that it wouldn't have the effect that you'd hoped for.

Sorry to dissapoint, numbnuts.

If I may take a moment to disagree with everyone. In my opinion this kind of a game is based on multiplayer gameplay. I bought my copy of OpF as soon as it came out in europe, and I still have not really played the single player campain. What can I say... no AI is match for a real life, air breathing, blood spilling, top of the lungs screaming, hu-man.

And I must admit that the small arms addons were pretty strangely selected for the game, but I belive that the main issue was... pleasing the masses. There are certain weapons that people want to see in FPS's.

- M16 and M60, the all american landmarks. That have served american troops so well, in so many conflicts, over the last few decades.

- AK-47, with 14 million units made, THE most common firearm in the world.

- H&K MP5 variant, a must have for any FPS. BIS ended up selecting the SD model, favored by special forces units around the world.

- M85A1 Barret, suprisingly... this is still missing

- Steyr AUG, one of the finest, bullpup weapons in the world, well rounded weapon all in all.

- G36, my personal favourite, and due to the strict german weapon export laws, this is propably the closest I'm going to get to firing this magnificient piece of art, for great many years to come.