Sign in to follow this  
BF2X

Does jogging and running seem odd?

When watching the previews at E3, running and jogging seemed... Off. Like the soldier would do it too quickly, it looked unnatural. Slowing the steps down a bit would probably fix it along with that tactical pace. Did anybody else feel the same way? I also noticed that it seems they took some inspiration for some of the new animations from an animation replacement pack I used in ArmA 2. I can't remember what it was called or who it was from but it added a variety of prone, crouch, standing and wall climbing animations that look extremely similar to the new ones in ArmA 3.

@smk pack. smookie working for bis now, aaand yeah. i think they should slow all running/movement animations down. will look way better and would not end up as run&gun. default @smk pack speed was perfect

When watching the previews at E3, running and jogging seemed... Off. Like the soldier would do it too quickly, it looked unnatural.

That, or the fact that the upper body moved sort of completely indepent of the lower body?

The speed is a little too high. Otherwise the animations are perfect in my book.

yeah i got that feeling, too. didn't like how the soldier was leaning forward all the time, even when running. also think that first person is too smooth and responsive.

Too responsive :) Overdone, damnit!

I respectfully disagree.

EDIT: He is shaking his butt too much I guess, damn that sounds weird...

Alot of young guys I train for both hill runs and 100m sprints have loose hips that swivel like that. Difference is their monster sized quads and hamstrings keeps them looking manly :p

I think its fine as is tho and overall these new animations are a dream come true for me.

I agree that the hip swivel his too high during the sprinting.

1st person camera movements is nice and responsive. I hope there is still the option for a bit of float zone.

It will also be interesting for people with head tracking to see how that can control the new stances

yeah i got that feeling, too. didn't like how the soldier was leaning forward all the time, even when running. also think that first person is too smooth and responsive.

Where the hell are all these people coming from ? I disrespectfully disagree!

Compared to what he have it is much better.

I don't want arma turning into COD with instantaneous responsiveness and pin-point aiming. Just look at the shooting range videos to see what I'm talking about.

Also what's with the new 3rd person crosshair and zoom scaling? To be frank I don't understand why this game even has a 3rd person crosshair to begin with.

Does jogging and running seem odd?

nope!

Movement looks good, very good. Natural.

This thread is bullshit, even by the low standard of some of the threads here. The anims look really good. If you think it was too different (which is basically what you are saying), add some headbob. Or whatever.

You complain the current Arma 2 anims are too clunky, then when they become more fluent, you say it's odd. I mean; What do you people want?

How do you know what's too responsive if you haven't played it? Responsiveness is related to how it feels. You can't say something looks too responsive. It has to feel too responsive. And you aren't in a position to say it feels too responsive.

This thread is bullshit, even by the low standard of some of the threads here. The anims look really good. If you think it was too different (which is basically what you are saying), add some headbob. Or whatever.

You complain the current Arma 2 anims are too clunky, then when they become more fluent, you say it's odd. I mean; What do you people want?

You cant make every one happy, its impossible, its unrealistic.

As long as 75% are ok with it you are on the right track.

This.

Also people seem to forget that arma is configurable! So They probably have set floating zone and headblob to zero, to make presenting easier. Just like the recruit difficulty third person crosshair. This is also a WIP in alpha state. Everything Will be fine tuned and alpha Will give us the chance to even fine tune it further.

I think it looks great, and we are very happy that you (Smookie) are working your magic from the inside. :)

Excellent is all i can say.

I've not logged in here for ages and only take out my ARMA2 CO/BAF/PMC for a spin very occasionally, mainly because the guys I play with (and myself to a certain extent) cannot stand the current "unresponsive and imprecise" controls.

I said to myself that I would not order ARMA3 until I could see that the animations, movement and combat had got to a smoother and more intuitive state (no more raptor head bob when sidestepping for example).

I'm happy to say that the current E3 videos look fantastic and better than that, are way ahead of anything else in the FPS genre out there in terms of authenticity - hell you only need a beard on your avatar to play Chris Costa ;-) So I can live with a bit of Elvis hip swivelling if that's the price of this massive improvement.

Yes it would be nice to have reaction side shooting and primary to secondary transitions by "dropping" your primary on its sling and drawing your pistol (hopefully we may see single point slings?) but if I'm able to even do half of the stuff in this vid (

) at half the speed I'll be pre-ordering and so will the guys I play with.

I'll also be looking forward to resuming mission making and scripting, which I had started, but abandoned because I couldn't get my virtual comrades to purchase the game/sim after they'd tried my copy.

So my humble opinion is the movement and controls look great and are a great step in the right direction (BTW surely the CoD crowd will have a hard enough time dealing with bullet drop/ballistics for you regular guys to feel threatened by them? - perhaps think of them as untrained militia vs. trained operators ;) ).

One thing I'd like to know is if the raise lower stance is tied to the mouse wheel (seems the most intuitive control for this to me) or whether its a key combo that only trained guitarists can achieve?

Oh and if I see a screenshot of the SCAR series (including SSR) I'll be a very happy chap, but I know FN(H) have been getting very twitchy about their IP lately, as have alot of other RS manufacturers (or at least their tame ambulance chasers) but that's another topic perhaps......

Edited by CCWashout

OP try putting on 70+ pounds of equipment, and run around with a gun and tell me how it feels?

Looks pretty damn well I commend the BIS animators.

One thing I'd like to know is if the raise lower stance is tied to the mouse wheel (seems the most intuitive control for this to me) or whether its a key combo that only trained guitarists can achieve?

Mouse wheel would be da bomb fo sho - but I somehow doubt it'll make it in :(

Great post btw.