blakeace

Blake's Autopilot for Arma2 OA

Blake's Autopilot v1.1 for Arma2 OA

aparmascreenie.jpg

tIQofGsMCwQ

kH334o1xot0

History:

V1.1

• Added: NAV Computer to dynamically add waypoints.
  • Added: Course mode (CRS) to alter the heading value to point to the current waypoint.
  • Added: Clear all waypoints menu item. Hold zoomout to make visible in the menu.
  • Fixed: Autopilot menu item duplication issue in multiplayer.

v1.0.2

• Fixed error where nothing was returned in the vector up z value calculation.
  • Implemented a yaw component to increase effective heading change.
  • Improved the terrain avoidance algorithm to be much more effective.

v1.0.1

• Fixed error where converting, forgot to rename 1 line as joystick references are different forwards and back compared to TOH. Preventing ATT mode from allowing adjustments in the pitch angle.

v1.0

• Initial release

Introduction:

This is a port of my autopilot for take on helicopters. The main benefit for this with arma is the automatic engagement of attitude hold when viewing the map if the autopilot isn't already engaged.

It has the same modes as the TOH verison.

Attitude hold

Heading hold

Attitude / Altitude hold

It also contains a WIP terrain following mode for planes.

Limitations:

The autopilot isn't very quick or strong, which can cause issues if trying to alter you heading while maintaining a low altitude. When the aircraft banks to alter direction, it loses some lift, this causes the aircraft to briefly lose some altitude before the autopilot can compensate.

Each aircraft behaves slightly differently, so be aware of that when chnging rides.

Installation:

*IMPORTANT*

If you are new to the Arma series, please ensure you know how to correctly add mods before proceeding.

*DO NOT* add these files into the folders that contain the default Arma files. They are in the addons folder which is located in the Arma games main subdirectory.

Install as you would any other addon. (Check the BIS forums if unsure!).

Try here for a good post by Günter Severloh on adding mods.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1908141&postcount=2

Features:

1.1 Additions

Course Mode Button (CRS): Select this to have either the heading or terrain modes update to direct towards the current waypoint.

Clear waypoint data action menu item. Requires zoom out to be held for it to be visible. I removes all the current waypoints.

NAV Computer: Use this to create a new or alter and existing set of waypoints.

Markers - Red current editing position. Blue current waypoint for the group.

Shift Left Click - Add a new waypoint at that position. The last waypoint created is always a Cycle waypoint.

Left Click - Select the current editing point. Current point id highlighted with the red marker. Added waypoints are inserted after this point.

Alt Left Click - If near enough to a waypoint position it will delete that waypoint. The last point cannot be deleted.

Safer map reading (and PINS camera):

Automatic Attitude hold when you are viewing the map if the autopilot isn't already engaged.

This addon is also compatiable with my PINS addon, and will engage autopilot attitude mode if you are using the camera view in PINS.

When you close the map/camera the attitude mode is automatically disengaged.

Autopilot Master Mode (AP):

The autopilot will only work if the master button is on (green). This also allows pilots to pre set a desired setup before engaging the autopilot.

E.g. Whilst the master mode is off, select heading hold, dial in the desired heading and altitude, when you want to engage the autopilot it will try to follow the preset values.

The addon creates three autopilot modes for the helicopters. Plus Terrain following for planes.

Modes can be changed without needing to cancel the previous mode.

When the map is selected, if no autopilot mode is enabled then the autopilot will engage Attitude hold while the map is open. If another mode is selected it will remain in that mode.

If the cyclic is moved far enough the autopilot mode is disengaged.

Attitude Hold (ATT):

Holds the current attitude of the helicopter in both pitch and bank.

Bank and pitch can be altered by moving the joystick beyond the 0.2 threshold in that direction. When you release the joystick the autopilot will maintain the new attitude.

This mode can be toggled on and off with each press of the button.

Heading Hold (HDG):

When engaged the helicopters current altitude and heading are the initial settings. Settings can be pre selected, and once required engaged by turning on the master mode button (AP).

Heading changes are in 10 degree increments.

Altitude changes are in 250ft increments.

Attitude/Altitude (ATT ALT):

Will hold altitude as per above, whilst holding attitude for the roll component. Minor attitude changes are possible by slightly moving the joystick in the desired direction for the roll.

Terrain Following (TERR):

This will hold heading as per heading hold, but will try and maintain a altitude height relative to the height between the aircraft and the ground. If you select 500ft then the autopilot will attempt to maintain that gap between the aircraft and the ground below.

Note the autopilot isn't super reactive, so high speed low altitude and mountainous terrain will be to hard for the autopilot to cope with.

Download:

Six Updater: http://stats.six-updater.net/mods/show/b664b018-ae17-11e1-916f-001517bd964c

Armaholic: Blake's Autopilot

Armed Assault: Blakes Autopilot : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1953

https://rapidshare.com/files/782772376/Blakes_AP_ee_v1_1.rar

Edited by blakeace
  • Like 1

Updated v1.0.1

Just a small fix from when converting, forgot to rename 1 line as joystick references are different for forwards and back compared to TOH. Preventing ATT mode from allowing adjustments in the pitch angle.

First post updated.

Sorry Sickboy and Foxhound, missed that one in my testing.

@Sickboy and Foxhound - Thanks as always

@Kremator, Cheers enjoy!

Just watched the video .... very impressive. Now what about this challenge .... to be able to program a series of waypoints on a map then be able to turn on your AP and it not only terrain follows but also waypoint follow :)

Possible for next release ?

I have not yet downloaded this but I had one quick question.

Is it possible (perhaps using Attitude/Altitude (ATT ALT)) to set the autopilot to simple orbit a point? For example, when flying and waiting for a CAS mission, it would be great to simply press a button to orbit a far distance IP point and wait for the call for Close Air Support.

Thanks!

Hi Blake

Many thanks for this, I look forward to trying it sometime this week, especially because of my remarkable talent with aircraft - within minutes, I can transform any flying machine into the world's most expensive JCB.

@Sickboy,Foxhound and Old Bear - Thanks for that!

Just watched the video .... very impressive. Now what about this challenge .... to be able to program a series of waypoints on a map then be able to turn on your AP and it not only terrain follows but also waypoint follow :)

Possible for next release ?

I have already written the code for inputting the waypoints, I have already prototyped some code to check where you are in reference to a line. I just need the time to gather a few more ingredients and mix them together.

One limitation of this code is the turn rates aren't that spectacular I often use a rudder input to help increase the turn rate. At this stage the AP only rolls the aircraft, letting the flight model drift around from that position. When I get chance I want to have a play with the postion vectors to see if I can increase the turn rate a little.

I have not yet downloaded this but I had one quick question.

Is it possible (perhaps using Attitude/Altitude (ATT ALT)) to set the autopilot to simple orbit a point? For example, when flying and waiting for a CAS mission, it would be great to simply press a button to orbit a far distance IP point and wait for the call for Close Air Support.

Thanks!

That was the idea behind this mode, but as per above the turn rate, which in turn affects the turn radius is quite large even with the use of rudders to help turn. If you place the aircraft in this mode, you can select a "reasonable" bank in the roll. If you add rudder, in an A10 at medium speed your orbit will be approx a 6km diameter circle. The A10 doesn't like turn turn much without rudder, so that would not be practical. I have a gaming keyboard, so I can at least get my rudder to hold down and use this mode specifically for the reasons you give.

One of the many things on my todo list is looking to see if there is a effective way of increasing the turn rate from within the code.

Hi Blake

Many thanks for this, I look forward to trying it sometime this week, especially because of my remarkable talent with aircraft - within minutes, I can transform any flying machine into the world's most expensive JCB.

Well I hope it helps, I find the best aspect has nothing to do with all the different modes etc, but how it automatically goes into attitude mode where checking the map, I have lost count of how many times I have flown an aircraft into the ground whilst trying to grab a quick look into the map and not wanting to fly to high that I get busted by enemy AA. "Quick quick, come on close CLOSE yes, ARE CRAP!" :butbut:

Edit:

Ok I had a bit of a break through this morning, managed to overcome the problems I was having with the turn rate and changed how I calculated the terrain avoidance.

This should really improve the ability to use this for orbiting areas, as well as implementing a waypoint following system. :)

So the next version should be a fair bit better and responsive.

Edited by blakeace

Updated to version 1.0.2

Download available from the first post.

• Fixed error where nothing was returned in the vector up z value calculation.
  • Implemented a yaw component to increase heading change.
  • Improved the terrain avoidance algorithm to be much more effective.

Updated Version 1.1

New version available on the first post.

V1.1

• Added: NAV Computer to dynamically add waypoints.
  • Added: Course mode (CRS) to alter the heading value to point to the current waypoint.
  • Added: Clear all waypoints menu item. Hold zoomout to make visible in the menu.
  • Fixed: Autopilot menu item duplication issue in multiplayer.

1.1 Additions

Course Mode Button (CRS): Select this to have either the heading or terrain modes update to direct towards the current waypoint.

Clear waypoint data action menu item. Requires zoom out to be held for it to be visible. I removes all the current waypoints.

NAV Computer: Use this to create a new or alter and existing set of waypoints.

Markers - Red current editing position. Blue current waypoint for the group.

Shift Left Click - Add a new waypoint at that position. The last waypoint created is always a Cycle waypoint.

Left Click - Select the current editing point. Current point id highlighted with the red marker. Added waypoints are inserted after this point.

Alt Left Click - If near enough to a waypoint position it will delete that waypoint. The last point cannot be deleted.

kH334o1xot0

very nice :)

you may want to consider to extract the WP placement and modification to a separate system.

this alone would make commanding AI in your group a lot more powerful

Documentation Omission

Sorry I forgot to document on the video (now fixed) and in the download how to set which waypoint you want as the current waypoint.

Shift + Alt + Click - on a waypoint sets it as the current waypoint. The blue marker denotes the current waypoint.

@Sickboy - Thanks mate again! :)

;2253408']very nice :)

you may want to consider to extract the WP placement and modification to a separate system.

this alone would make commanding AI in your group a lot more powerful

Cheers, I'm glad you like it.

I have thought about it, I am using it in a UAV controller addon, hopefully I will release it soon in an alpha state.

Though I was thinking it would be quite good somehow being able to add it to vehicles, emulating modern gps like devices?

@Sickboy,Foxhound and Old Bear - Thanks for that!

I have already written the code for inputting the waypoints, I have already prototyped some code to check where you are in reference to a line. I just need the time to gather a few more ingredients and mix them together.

One limitation of this code is the turn rates aren't that spectacular I often use a rudder input to help increase the turn rate. At this stage the AP only rolls the aircraft, letting the flight model drift around from that position. When I get chance I want to have a play with the postion vectors to see if I can increase the turn rate a little.

That was the idea behind this mode, but as per above the turn rate, which in turn affects the turn radius is quite large even with the use of rudders to help turn. If you place the aircraft in this mode, you can select a "reasonable" bank in the roll. If you add rudder, in an A10 at medium speed your orbit will be approx a 6km diameter circle. The A10 doesn't like turn turn much without rudder, so that would not be practical. I have a gaming keyboard, so I can at least get my rudder to hold down and use this mode specifically for the reasons you give.

One of the many things on my todo list is looking to see if there is a effective way of increasing the turn rate from within the code.

Well I hope it helps, I find the best aspect has nothing to do with all the different modes etc, but how it automatically goes into attitude mode where checking the map, I have lost count of how many times I have flown an aircraft into the ground whilst trying to grab a quick look into the map and not wanting to fly to high that I get busted by enemy AA. "Quick quick, come on close CLOSE yes, ARE CRAP!" :butbut:

Edit:

Ok I had a bit of a break through this morning, managed to overcome the problems I was having with the turn rate and changed how I calculated the terrain avoidance.

This should really improve the ability to use this for orbiting areas, as well as implementing a waypoint following system. :)

So the next version should be a fair bit better and responsive.

I want the terrain avoidence feature to maybe automatically choose some way to mask where the troops are inserted by simply find an choose someplace near but obscured to enemy not seeing where they are exsactly by putting down the chopper at the best tactical insertion point ,maybe behind the closest hill.

Autopilots in the real world has the ability for :Nav,Heading Hold,Altitude Hold,Combat. It would be nice,if it could return fast to programmed altitude after passing a town and maybe suggest by promt if we want to fly by using the vallys that it can spot and make a suggestion to change the WP to take advantage of it.;).

I would like the Terrain Avoidence feature to be used for helicopters as well,UH-60L and DAP versions have that in real life .

Fantastic! Keep up the good work!

I want the terrain avoidence feature to maybe automatically choose some way to mask where the troops are inserted by simply find an choose someplace near but obscured to enemy not seeing where they are exsactly by putting down the chopper at the best tactical insertion point ,maybe behind the closest hill.

Autopilots in the real world has the ability for :Nav,Heading Hold,Altitude Hold,Combat. It would be nice,if it could return fast to programmed altitude after passing a town and maybe suggest by promt if we want to fly by using the vallys that it can spot and make a suggestion to change the WP to take advantage of it.;).

I would like the Terrain Avoidence feature to be used for helicopters as well,UH-60L and DAP versions have that in real life .

Fantastic! Keep up the good work!

HI John1000,

It would be great to be able to have a more responsive autopilot, one of the reasons it is quite "sluggish" is due to how I am manipulating the aircraft object to change angles. I am using the setvector commands very quickly using very small changes. When you start trying to increase the rate of change in the code it has the horrible effect of shaking the aircraft in a very disturbing manner. So the rate of change I settled for was the greatest rate that wasn't annoying for myself.

If ever bi released commands that allowed us to manipulate the input values like we were using a joystick then many of your desires could be looked at. I unfortunately have just changed careers and my new job is taking up all my time and I really haven't got any time for scripting etc :(

Thanks for the kind words they are much appreciated :)

Hi ! I wonder if You may have got the time to update You`re old Blakes Autopilot to A3 standard sence a LOT of guys are looking for a way to offload the workload when they fly. They are really in want of a TFR

so they can fly hidden into action.

When BI is to bizy or not in the works for A3 helicopters,this will take some time .Or You can maybe help the communnity out on this issue? I`ve know ,some work but the comunnity isn`t very into this stuff;they maybe think it`s too difficult or time consuming.

If we can get a updated version for A3 and with the new HUD and such,this could be much appriciated. Maybe? thnx,Teddybear1

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Hi ! I wonder if You may have got the time to update You`re old Blakes Autopilot to A3 standard sence a LOT of guys are looking for a way to offload the workload when they fly. They are really in want of a TFR

so they can fly hidden into action.

When BI is to bizy or not in the works for A3 helicopters,this will take some time .Or You can maybe help the communnity out on this issue? I`ve know ,some work but the comunnity isn`t very into this stuff;they maybe think it`s too difficult or time consuming.

If we can get a updated version for A3 and with the new HUD and such,this could be much appriciated. Maybe? thnx,Teddybear1

I take it that Blake has disappeared ? is the mod dead ? any Rumor on porting for Arma3 ?

Would really be a great addition as there really is not anything similar out there or in the works. Also for the new Blackfish.