Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Large Caliber Sniper Rifles

What about lerge caliber sniper rifles such as american Barrett and russian V-94 or SVN-98?

Would they improve gameplay or would they be just useless crap not fitting into story line?

i don't see the point of them. Vihicles don't have specific areas damage, so you can't truly snipe at weak spots in armour (and it would look pretty akward when vihicle blows up after it's "hit points" are taken away by 10 shots from 12.7mm rifle.

And as for infantry, again what is the point? 7,62 does the exact same job...

I'd have to disagree on both counts. Due to the performance limitations involved (try setting the draw distance to 5000 and you'll see what I mean), I can see little value in larger calibre sniper rifles. All they would do is take the challenge out of sniping - removing the need to do head-shots.

There are plenty-enough vehicles in OFP. OFP is all about grunt work. To me, the tank / helicopter missions, even the special forces missions are an almost unwelcome distraction - there are SOOOO many tank, heli, 1 man vs. The World games, that it's REALLY refreshing to just be thrown in the deep end, with just and M16 and a few grenades...

The vehicles that are in the game are more than sufficient - the T80 and M1A1 are almost identical (as fare as gameplay goes). Would the Leopard 2 or Challenger 2 be much more different?

Besides, what about the sequal? I mean, you do WANT a sequel, don't you? More of the same, just better, more refined... with more stuff? How can you do that when you've exausted the original?

I still haven't seen a good collection of missions that take full advantage of the units that are currently available... what's the point in having more stuff if you aren't going to use it?

And to finish the rant....

BIS have done an outstanding job of creating a game that is balanced, fun and worryingly realistic... we don't NEED any more!

(Edited by ScreamingWithNoSound at 9:20 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)

ME says need an Awp (AWM smile.gif).

Comon let me snipe smile.gif, im sure iwth the SDK we will be able to create new islands and better, create indoor levels smile.gif

I agree with not adding more tanks etc...

However, I would like to see (maybe not possible for OFP1) but the ability to disable a tank with a grenade/mortar... ie. blow of its tracks.... but not destroy it or its gun... that would be interesting.

Definitely! That's the one thing that's really missing from the game... Taking out the tracks is how infantry kill a tank. Think it's fundemental to the engine, so we'll probably have to wait for OFP2... oh well, something to look forward to I suppose!

The AWM is .338 Magnum

And it's bolt action.

Im pretty sure the Dragunov is better than it.

The AWM50 Is better ... though still bolt action

It's .50 smile.gif

what could/should be added is something that adds to the game.

i think a 80 mm mortar (normal tube mortar) would be great, its normal infantry weaponry and more likely sight on a battlefield than a sniper or a tank/chopper.

there are few wars without ballistic fire (artillery), a mortar would give that option and keep it a infantry weapon...and not be too strong.

But with most artillery that could be implemented, you are limited to the viewing distance of the game, the game doesnt give you all the features and calculations that bombardiers would have to use to call an effective artillery strike. And it may be difficult to implement these calculations to the already complicated AI smile.gif

Might be nice. If not for vehicle damage, but for a few more one shot kills.

I find the M21 will usually take 2 shots to kill someone, in the chest. 1 in the head.

Example of this, playing the new Oil War MP mission, I was shooting at the people by the T72.. shot one of them square in the spine, while he was getting in.. he continued to get in & shoot me.

I doubt a person, having a 7.62mm round lodged in their back, would be able to control their own bladder, much less a tank.

This doesnt really bother me. I'd just like a sniper rifle that'll blow a hole as big as a dish in someone... when they go down, they dont get back up.

Mortars are a good idea. Dunno how you'd get them to work though... something I like about OFP is it's simplicity.

My mortar is firing my M203 at a 80 degree angle.

(its no other use to me, unlike the AI who can hit you in the left nostril with one)

Actually, come to think of it. Think the AI is horribly accurate? Imagine the AI with a 50 calibre sniper rifle with 2000m range! They'd blow you away outside of the draw range (more often than they already do)

(Edited by The Blind Sniper at 6:01 am on Nov. 24, 2001)