Sign in to follow this  
AmazingFactory

How to configure multiple controllers

I have two game controllers

one is setup OK for flying

the other I want to use for looking around

this is listed when I press "Controller"

but when I try and assign a button - it is not recognized

Does this game only support a single controller?

Welcome. You can use as many controllers as you want. In "Controller", Check if your device is well ACTIVE.

It shows my 2nd controller as "Controllers with scheme"

and I can't press "Customize"

It is Active, "Disable" is available, plus it works in game ... just with incorrect mapping

In XPlane I would wiggle and select function on each device ...

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

I figured it out:

Select the 2nd controller under the "Controllers with Scheme" heading and click "Disable"

It will now appear as a "Customizable Controller" ... now everything works as expected

I spoke too soon ... both the "Head Left" and "Move Head Left" axes MOVE the head left ...

I want to control my head orientation using thumbstick ...

Edited by AmazingFactory

You can do that. But other ppl with help you better than me. Using headtracking since some years now.

There is different way to move your head. (Toggle or push release). You can press "2x ALT" (Free look I think) to switch between the two "mode".

Hope it help =S

2 x ALT is very useful

Now I am trying to find external views

For software that is meant to be entertaining ... it sure is tedious and boring

For external view it's Num Enter. (If it don't work it's cause your are on expert setting so go to Option, Game Option, Diffuclty, choose the one you want to play and configure it as you want).

Please check these keymap for more :)

http://www.ausarma.org/topic/246-a2-oa-keyboard-layout/

It's from Arma but it's almost the same.

Edited by hon0

Thanks for your help hon0

I have played through the demo

I love flying helicopters but this software takes all the fun out of it

I will carry on writing my own helicopter simulator, that way I can ensure no "clever" nerds get involved

Thanks for your help hon0

I have played through the demo

I love flying helicopters but this software takes all the fun out of it

I will carry on writing my own helicopter simulator, that way I can ensure no "clever" nerds get involved

It is software and not an actual helicopter so, there's that difference to start with!

Take On Helicopters is not a simulator like X-Plane, it's a game, but I am impressed that you are writing a simulator yourself. I find that both clever and nerdy - and I would not be insulted to be called either or both myself.

Out of interest did you try the time-trials? They are not boring surely? What is it you were hoping to get from the game?

You're writing your own helicopter simulator?

In my opinion, Take On Helicopter is an Infantry Simulation, as Arma. But with a Semi Simulation for Helicopter ♥ We're going to the multi plateforme Simulation !

Did you only tried the demo? Cause the actual patch is way different :)

"Cause the actual patch is way different" // Then the demo will lose the publishers many sales ...

"You're writing your own helicopter simulator?" // Yes, using XNA, I have done global terrain, fully articulated Apache model, clouds, trees, oceans

actually I started it because on the DCS forums they say that Black Shark uses realtime finite element analysis for the flight model and to that I say "yarbles"

I don't have a degree and I learnt maths and physics off Wikipedia yet I can program a working flight model on par with Black Shark in about 2 hours, I know because I did already.

For ground effects / turbulence from buildings / vortex ring and low speed you just chuck in a few extra forces ...

What is it you were hoping to get from the game?

Well I enjoy the sensation of flying, I like to feel the aircraft around me, as an extension of my body, I like both high speed low-flying (taking risks) and just enjoying good speed control and balanced turns etc.

The helicopter sims that feel good to me include: Black Shark, Battlefield 3, GTA:SA (mostly because the hunter missions are incredibly entertaining rather than the flight model itself), GTA4 (flying under the bridges)

I don't care for "reality" that much.

In fact a good simulation has to depart from reality to make it *feel* real, if you just copy reality it won't feel real ... something most flight simmers don't appreciate.

A good example of this would be the size of a door in a 3D video game ... they are 4 times bigger than a real door, but seem kind of normal in-game.

So the game concept is good, but the end result is not entertaining - the missions are dull and the helicopters feel like they are made of ... triangles!

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

boostchopperh.th.png

terrainsplatb.th.png

Here some screenshots I have lying around.

In the game you are a chopper pilot working for a 1984-esque dictatorship.

Your job is to keep the population under control, quell riots, perform assassinations, hunt people down and spy on people.

So lots of excuses for entertaining flying and playing with apache-toys!

I am working on urban environments now using a raytracing trick to draw a skyscraper with 100s of rooms with only 10 triangles.

Sound interesting?

"Cause the actual patch is way different" // Then the demo will lose the publishers many sales ...

I like both high speed low-flying (taking risks) and just enjoying good speed control and balanced turns etc.

The helicopter sims that feel good to me include: Black Shark, Battlefield 3, GTA:SA (mostly because the hunter missions are incredibly entertaining rather than the flight model itself), GTA4 (flying under the bridges)

I don't care for "reality" that much.

And you can't get that feeling in TOH? Personaly I fly only for that :D

S3tyM1UUC1Y?hd=1

Edited by hon0

hon0: very enjoyable video!

you are a better ambassador for the game than the demo ...

also I get bored having to hunt through PDFs, the Web, forums and options to find things that should be self evident

I am perfectly capable of working all this stuff out ... I just don't want to in my free time ... too much like work

(edit) I tried it again today // very enjoyable so far, I must have become negative after setup experiences ...

Edited by AmazingFactory
positive

Well check my other videos. Same kind of flying. Execpt for the hind :p

also I get bored having to hunt through PDFs, the Web, forums and options to find things that should be self evident

I am perfectly capable of working all this stuff out ... I just don't want to in my free time ... too much like work

True. When you start a SIMULATION GAME as (ARMA/TOH), you need some time to configure all you setup perfectly ! And get used to the fly model, balistic etc... But then it's muscle memory and.. Enjoy :yay: