Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Veni Vidi Vici Mod beta 1.0

Hi all,

i'm happy to release the 1.0 beta version of my mod :

Content :

• Several factions : Romans, Barbarians, Greeks, Persians, Civilians and some others.
  • Various siege equipments and vehicles.
  • One island : Ancient Nogova with ancient buildings.
  • Several SP missions.
  • Several mission templates and a mission editor guide.

Download link with the courtesy of OPFr info (thanks JdB) :

ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/mods/VVV_1.0beta.zip

A big thanks to :
Sanctuary for the animations, Stu for most of the buildings and siege equipment models/textures, Itweas, Philcommando, Mig, Nikiller... (cf. the readme)

Still WIP :
MP compatibility

Some pictures :

greek3p.jpg
romantown1.jpg
naturepv.jpg
druidse.jpg
villagew.jpg
nuitwa.jpg

Have fun and take care.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the release! I'm downloading and posting a brief impression of the mod when I've finished the download.

EDIT: Okay, what I really liked was the models and textures of the units, they are good work and look brilliant in-game. The sounds fit well to the mod, and the animations and the melee fighting system is good considering the limits of OFP.

What I loved in it was the vibe; I personally value atmosphere and immersion in a game, and they are nailed in this mod.

What I didn't like was the interface: It was stretched for me at least (16:9) and harsh to my liking, it could improve a bit.

Keep on improving the mod, I'm waiting!

Regards.

Edited by batis4

Just gave a quick mission editor run into the Ancient Nogova and had lot of fun driving a chariot leading some AI fouls (seems chariot AI can't really move if in formations, while if ordered to move individually ingame, they do it correctly) in trying to follow my lead :D

It's surprisingly fun to battle with the AI despite the obvious heavy limitations and workaround required in modding regarding hand to hand, surprising as i wasn't expecting much of the OFP AI but for all those limitations they can fight (those sneaky naked barbarians !) .

I wish i was better and less willing to throw my computer to a wall when using OFPAnim so i could provide better animations (i wish there was a rtm exporter for Blender). But the immersion in that Ancient Nogova environment and building with the tons of units are really making VVV a very impressive mod, a masterpiece.

Thank you and congratulations for the release of one of the best OFP mod all around.

Awesome, better than what I expected, the combat surpasses my expectations for something without scripts

Another amazing work from Prof Tournesol!

I had the time to play around with some of the units and the atmosphere is amazing, the elephants are great and the horses are such an improvement from you earlier work. The ox cart still has the car horn though.. I had fun with the melee but found annoying to have the sound of impact even when the blow is not finding it's target, no sound or a different one like just wind blow or human noise like "Huh!" would be better suited and would inform me if I am too far from the target. I wish there had been an opportunity to aim better with the bow as well, as in real life. Some critics/requests but I am in awe in front of your work.

Congratulation on a great release! looking forward to trying it some more, amazing work!

STGN

a mod and still expected a fantastic job of PROF TOURNESOL

I like the work make by prof tournesol since NAPOLEONIC and WW1

The quality was always good and now wonderful

• Text on the main screen should stand out from the background.
  • I think it would be better if instead of 3D GUI book you would use a stone tablet:
    asteriksobeliks_thumb.jpg
  • Would be nice if Intro.intro had some cutscene going on...
  • ...or maybe just load "Ancient Nogova" on game launch
  • Speaking of, new island doesn't have it's own anim
  • Would be better to have custom SP mission folder with an overview.html
  • Mission overview images are too big. Also would be nice if they represented the mission instead of generic SPQR picture.
  • Vae Victis: action to burn tower should disappear after it's usage
  • Some of the team members start behind the walls. You forgot to set "Special: None".
  • Sparta: takes a lot of time before the first wave appears
  • Title "Wave defeated" appears while there are still enemies around
  • Legio Patria Nostra: patrols would be less boring if you would order team to run instead of walking
  • "Melee" magazine inventory icon is stretched
  • Melee fighting - there should be some kind of indication that I'm hitting anyone
  • What's the point of the Persian drum? It's not like I can play it...
  • I'm able to take wolf's weapon "Fist" and use it
  • Would be better if bow had optics
  • If I take somebody's bow then I can run out of ammo
  • Archers should have some magazines to get rid of constant "Out of ammo" message

Will I be able in future to get in Crucifix as driver?

Edited by Faguss

I am amazed by the amount of work you have put into it. It will take me some time to discover all the features you have created. Excellent Job! :)

Thanks a lot guys for your feedbacks, i must say that i agree with every remarks you've made sofar :

• I don't like the main GUI too, but i may need some help to redo it as i'm not very good at it (BTW you can get rid of it by deleting the "resource.bin" from the Veni Vidi Vici "Dta" folder) ; true that i could find a marble stone to easily replace it ;
  • In the Sparta mission, waves can be defeated even if there are still some soldiers around, in fact units are regrouping after retreating and then they attack you again, but mission goals are ticked ;
  • Ive got a problem with the persian drum sound, it's obviously too low (in fact i thought i corrected it already, silly me...) ;
  • Archers have magazines with only one arrow in it, so that they play the "reload magazine" animation between each shot ; but because of the infamous "not more than ten magazines" maximum, archers have got a script that adds a magazine each time they fire, so that they can have enough arrows (other units don't have this script, should they ?) ; i wil add archers at least ten magazines to see if they stop complaining (but i'm not sure they will) ;
  • As i'm playing with the crosshair, i didn't see the need of an optic for the bow (in fact i found it more realistic without...but i'm probably wrong with that) ;
  • Yep, you don't know if you're hitting your target with the melee fighting (unless the enemy plays the hit sound), because OFP is simulating an invisible explosion and not a a projectile hit with the strokegun simulation (thus, no puff of blood) : that's why i added a script in some missions where the target is playing an animation each time he is hit (not very brilliant i know, but i suck at animating units), + the very usefull OFPEC blood script which should be added to every mission IMO ;
  • Same problem with the "weapon sound" played even if nothing is hit : that's because OFP refuse to play a hit sound (as it does with arrows for example) with the "strokegun" simulation, so that's the only i found to hear a weapon sound...

I'm struggling with a lot of OFP limitations and must find some awkward turn-arounds here and there with the minimal amount of scripts (ie muzzleflash lighting visible at night on the horses/ elephants, "strokegun" simulation limitations, not more than ten magazines but no animation played between shots, no secondary weapon (ie launcher) visible in vehicles so the shields must be integrated to the rider model etc.). OFP isn't really done for melee fighting, but that was fun to try...

Edited by ProfTournesol

target is playing an animation each time he is hit

I mean local indication. COD got it right with it's hitmarker (icon + sound).

Animations in OFP are unreliable so let's say: a ball of blood at the end of the sword.

I would like to say that Roman legionnaries used mostly the Gladius Hispaniensis as Legionnaries, and that the Pilum was a throwable weapon.

It would be nice to have some Throwable Javelins or Throwable Spears for the Barbarians, and make them usable by the AI as first weapon before attacking in melee

I would like to say that Roman legionnaries used mostly the Gladius Hispaniensis as Legionnaries, and that the Pilum was a throwable weapon.

It would be nice to have some Throwable Javelins or Throwable Spears for the Barbarians, and make them usable by the AI as first weapon before attacking in melee

Yes, it is very possible, in fact i did that in the first place, but it is quite laggy and very ineffective. Without it being vanilla, i could add some legionaries / Barbarians with throwable spears.

thank you very much, congratulations has done a great job and made a dream come true and has inspired me to make a mod itself .... forgive my English is bad

I have no word to express my happiness....Yet another great project Prof. Tournesol (and ONLY 140 MB!!!!!!!!!!!!),AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

btw Is this Your last project?

cool stuff going to have a go making a mission

lol AOE has come to armaverse erm ofpverse!!!! kudos on the release!!!

Thanks for the release, I felt like a boy discovering his christmas presents while stumbling through the mod :bounce3:

I really want to play this mod. I am an Arma2 and later gamer, but one of my interests is warfare in the Age of Antiquity. Will Arma Gold run on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional (my current setup)?

Edited by MissionCreep

I really want to play this mod. I am an Arma2 and later gamer, but one of my interests is warfare in Antiquity. Will Arma Gold run on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional (my current setup)?

This is on ArmA:CWA (or OFP), not ArmA gold. But it works well on modern systems.