[WIP] ArmaSideMap - External Moving Map for Arma2:OA

NOW FIXED

You need to put

@ASM in root of game

inside that folder is:

an empty addons folder

Sidemap folder

GAMASMipc.dll

libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll goes in your windows folder...

To prove I got it working :)

fixed.jpg

Got it running on my HTC Desire HD with iDisplay app, it rock's. :)

desk.jpg

desk2.jpg

Edited by pillpopper123

NOW FIXED

To prove I got it working :)

That's excellent. I have the same phone. Are there any hardware requirements on the PC for this? What GPU?

Before I splash out the £4 on the app :)

NOW FIXED (...)

libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll goes in your windows folder...

A bit of unorthodox install, this should not be required as long as both GAMASMipc.dll and ArmaSideMap.exe can access them from their working directories. Just keep track of those files, they may be superseeded by the next release, and you may need to delete them. (if you feel adventurous you may check a custom setup made for those dlls - check bottom of page for more info)

Anyway, glad you made it work :)

Very nice setup btw, one of the reasons i opted for a network based interface was exacly to open up more possibilities such as yours.

(I may introduce an option to limit frame rate output on remote desktop type apps, to make it friendlier if necessary)

One thing though, do not leave ArmaSideMap running while repeatedly loading and unloading missions inside Arma, because ASM is not properly releasing memory in such a case (YOU MAY run out of memory - just shut down the application and restart it).

EDIT: Repeatedly maximizing/minimizing results in the same issue, really have to sort this out...

Edited by gammadust

It didn't work for me if I didn't put them files in the window's folder gamma :) it gave me an error saying libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll cannot be found, like it's looking in the wrong place.. :)

and the iDisplay client on the PC too... :)

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

[/color]

That's excellent. I have the same phone. Are there any hardware requirements on the PC for this? What GPU?

Before I splash out the £4 on the app :)

If you can run Arma on your PC then using iDisplay is all you gonna need on phone and the iDisplay client on the PC too...there maybe a free app that does the same job too :)

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

[/color]

A bit of unorthodox install, this should not be required as long as both GAMASMipc.dll and ArmaSideMap.exe can access them from their working directories. Just keep track of those files, they may be superseeded by the next release, and you may need to delete them. (if you feel adventurous you may check a custom setup made for those dlls - check bottom of page for more info)

Anyway, glad you made it work :)

Very nice setup btw, one of the reasons i opted for a network based interface was exacly to open up more possibilities such as yours.

(I may introduce an option to limit frame rate output on remote desktop type apps, to make it friendlier if necessary)

One thing though, do not leave ArmaSideMap running while repeatedly loading and unloading missions inside Arma, because ASM is not properly releasing memory in such a case (YOU MAY run out of memory - just shut down the application and restart it).

Hopefully a guy with your knowledge can get the Arma GPS on my mobile too :) :) :)

Edited by pillpopper123

This is excellent. Like pillpopper, I'm using an android phone to show the map. It's really cool.

Just one thing, touching the phone screen fire the weapon. :)

DSCF1576.jpg

Edited by Tankbuster

This is excellent. Like pillpopper, I'm using an android phone to show the map. It's really cool.

Yer same here, it shoots and points me down, lol.

Now this is something I've been looking for since ArmA1. Bravo to you gamma.

If I could be of any assistance, let me know.

This is gonna be really useful addon when flying CAS! :dance1: Like somebody already said, i'm gonna too try and test it out how it works with iPad :wine:

Now got it sorted!

From what I've seen so far however .... JIZZTASTIC !

Well done mate !

We do need more maps ... to hell with the size. I did retry the mission but as a pilot of a chopper on Desert. It works well but no direction indicator.

Having this as a GPS would be amazing (even better if we could see marker icons on the display ... no pressure!)

Edited by Kremator

Now got it sorted!

From what I've seen so far however .... JIZZTASTIC !

Well done mate !

We do need more maps ... to hell with the size. I did retry the mission but as a pilot of a chopper on Desert. It works well but no direction indicator.

Having this as a GPS would be amazing (even better if we could see marker icons on the display ... no pressure!)

1+ :)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/pauleden/DSCF1576.jpg

Kremator reports the same thing on his iPad using the Apple version of iDisplay.

And here's an idea .... using this for command ! What about having a radial menu (and GPS)

The sky is the limit now ! Come on scripting gurus !

And here's an idea .... using this for command ! What about having a radial menu (and GPS)

The sky is the limit now ! Come on scripting gurus !

You can already do this with a touchscreen device. Damned if I can find the thread though.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

OK, I tried to make this work on Celle2. I copied the sqf file and called it from the init, but the side map shows a black map. The player marker is there and his heading is correct, but no map tiles.

try this:

// instead of
// _direction = direction player;
_direction = direction vehicle player;

I had not tried a vehicle as of late and hadn't noticed that, also did some extreme test with the A10 and how slow the tile drawing to screen is that the already existent issue came to the top of my list. We'll see what a come up to with smaller tiles.

OK, I tried to make this work on Celle2. I copied the sqf file and called it from the init, but the side map shows a black map. The player marker is there and his heading is correct, but no map tiles.

yes... in those terms the script is calling a map of which tiles are unavailable. It searches the folder tree for the name of the world that you had choosen.

// Loading Map (currently only Desert is available)
_map = format ["LoadMap['%1']", worldName];
_loadmap = _extension callExtension format ["%1|%2", _asmipcoptions, _map];

this would be a dynamic way of loading the respective map

Not asm, i would explain that in the following way:

You have Arma 2 running and active (with application focus), when IDisplay receives the touch event it sends the desktop coordinate along with the "click", coordinate which is "outside" of Arma mouse coordinates making your player look elsewhere and trigger whaever rifle he has. We could test this, try configuring the virtual display in your desktop to the side instead of under or over your normal monitors arrangement, i would expect the unintended movement to be towards that virtual desktop coordinate (ie. sideways instead of downwards).

Some thoughts on this:

There currently exists significant limitations on the kind of interactivity between asm and arma, basically they are one way only: Arma > ASM, at most asm sends back some kind of feedback, but arma does not receive this data on demand by asm. Arma currently is limited to waiting for information. Before we get there the priority is to have markers working...

Having the possibility to "draw" (tactics?) over a "shared" map is also appealing to me. I'll try to keep the most options open :)

Edited by gammadust

Thank you THANK YOU for this.

I started a post.. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?90140-Secondary-Monitor-as-Map

A LONG time ago that fired up an 11 page morality discussion. I think it will be an interesting read for you. I hope you can get this addon in a more universal state. I would be willing to cut up the photo's of the Chenarus map if you like.

Hi great looking mod but how do i run it on my mobile phone like in your picture?

Agh. I've forgotten how I got it to work with my 'droid.

It has been put on hold for the time being.

I am currently in a middle of a carreer move, which significantly imposed time constraints (freelance to full time contract) on the amount of time i could previously dedicate to new stuff learning.

I am left with weekends now, and since i am no C/C++ programmer progress will run much slower. I am expecting a 2-3 week adaptation to new routines before starting to pick up my hobby again.

Rest assured i will keep you guys current. I want it this functionality bad as well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post

yes... in those terms the script is calling a map of which tiles are unavailable. It searches the folder tree for the name of the world that you had choosen.

It would appear that the 'LoadMap' method is loading the map images from the 'Desert' folder regardless of the worldName that you parse to it via callExtension. That is why you get a black screen when trying to use other maps.

I sliced up Chernarus and added that map folder and parsed:

_loadmap = _extension callExtension format ["%1|%2",_asmipcoptions,"LoadMap['Chernarus']"];

This results in it still loading the map data from the Desert folder. I see the Desert images if I position my player to the 000-000 grid position. It would appear to be hardcoded.

SideMap-test.Chernarus.7z (54MB)

Contains:

@ASM/SideMap/maps/Chernarus

SideMap-test.Chernarus

I might also add that the worldName for the Desert map is 'Desert_E' and not 'Desert' as the current alpha is setup for.

gammadust, perhaps you could release the source so we can have a tweak/fix?

Edited by [KH]Jman