Arma extension that mimics the in-game moving map as an external aplication which one can lay in a second monitor or even via network on a secondary computer.
Basic usage is still being defined, but there shouldn't be much deviations from what it is right now (also because there is not much interaction required from such an application).
- Map moves along with player keeping him centered (maybe add the option to just keep player on-screen)
- Player icon shows direction
- Map can be moved arbitrarily when ASM has focus (currently keys, maybe mouse driven), repositioning itself as soon as it receives new position update.
- ASM uses sockets for IPC, allowing seamless usage in a networked 2nd computer (if you don't have dual monitor setup). ASM executable is the server and ASM dll extension is the client.
- Fullscreen mode, the application itself is still 2D but removing the application bar helps a lot in immersion.
* Screenshot shows version information in the hint dialog and received information confirming both map positioning and player position on map in the sideChat (showing internal coordinates)
- Support for more icons (player's group units, color coded side/faction units, vehicles, etc.)
- Add support for markers (objectives, AOs, etc.)
- Figure a way to deal with zoom levels and map scale (currently 1 pixel = 0.5 meters)
- Map loading optimizations and memory footprint (test map uses up ~70Mb of RAM in a 2x2km "Desert" - no paging implemented)
- Devise some sort of handshaking strategy between the running ASM instance script and the server running the mission (to limit information displayed)
- Secondary: Mimic arma's gps unit (watch and radio! units) in the map.
- Secondary: Given the added realestate to display information, all sort of status stuff could migrate to this screen (depends on a yet to implement GUI)
- Map movement precision is limited (1 on-screen pixel, no sub-pixel support any soon)
- Icons may leave trail behind (issue arises if the rate of update is too high)
There are at least three components for having a running ArmaSideMap:
- The executable, and associated map assets, which will probably require an installer (at the very least detailed installation instructions from a zip), the way it communicates with arma it can sit anywhere on your hardrive, even a remote computer.
- The Arma extension (dll), installed in a mod folder (must be its root)
- A mission script which can be attached to an arbitrary mission which one wants to use together with ArmaSideMap.
- Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (>= Beta 87662)
Download?? Well not yet :/ (i hate logistics). Despite 3 weeks worth of free time, this is still very alpha, I intend to provide the full package in a minimal state. I can't make promises since real life will show no respect next week, but I am doing my very best to release this alpha next weekend or in 2 weeks time. And if it is mature enough along with the whole source code, if it is not mature enough at least the source code of the arma extension dll will always be made available no matter what.
Take note that at best I am a scripter, this is my first "real sized" project with a compiler in my hands. Btw, i am doing this in C++ against MingW.
Anyway, the main point of the thread is to let you guys know (and tease you a bit) with a working moving map for Arma, hopefully given some interest i antecipate in this, wanted features could start to pop in here, and help me take those steps back one should always do, to get the bigger picture that is easy to miss when one is so focused on its dealings.
Though I'll prolly keep silent until next weekend, please do: Fire at will!
UPDATE - Download (no mirrors please)