Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A port too far.

Ah, is that all? This is a beta, I am sure the final version (or maybe even a future beta) will allow you to remap your keys correctly.
    And if not........well than its something to complain about than
    Visit Armaholic.com | Visit Carriercommandaholic.com

Public FTP available, just check the Armaholic.com FAQ.

HMM........wonder what it is huh?

I am no friend of console ports either, but I do have to defend Carrier Command Gaea Mission in this matter. As Foxhound just said we are testing a Beta version. You should not expect all functions to work properly at this stage (for more information about this refer to Wikipedia: Software release life cycle). The fact that a key binding is offered should show you that Bohemia Interactive knows about the need of a function like that for PC users.

There is another - strong - argument for the importance of PC and Carrier Command Gaea Mission:
    The Beta is NOT available on any console!
    “Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by ScareYa View Post
    The Beta is NOT available on any console!
    This is a good point.

To those concerned about the consolification of Carrier Command... What specifically is missing or lacking? In what ways would the game be made more strategic to satisfy the needs of PC gamers?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Ah, is that all? This is a beta, I am sure the final version (or maybe even a future beta) will allow you to remap your keys correctly.
    And if not........well than its something to complain about than
    Yes, your right. I am nit-picking, and I shouldn't. CCGM is already one hell of a awesome game, and has gone beyond my expectations. It could have been a heck of a lot worse if some shabby software house had got hold of it, they could have butchered it completely.

I still hate ******** consoles though.

I agree that the UI is pretty clunky for a PC game. There's no reason we can't have, for example, all the carrier production functions on the screen at the same time as any of the other controls. Having to click the carrier piloting controls to bring up the production screens is weird. We're using PC's here! We should be able to pin the production or map window to a corner of the screen and keep it there!

Or we could really go nuts and have some multi-monitor joy, with the map on another screen entirely!

But I do have to say:
    the path your currently taking your out apple picking jumping up a pear tree.
    What?

Most of Scotland prefer to take a little water with their whisky...

I wish people would not blame the ills of the world on consoles - it's not their fault - they are only bits of hardware in a plastic box (much like a PC, and in the case of the 360, very much like a PC). I'm afraid it is a cold hard fact that there are more people with games consoles than there are people with gaming PCs - of course this is going to affect the way publishers fund the development of games.

Now I have been playing games on consoles since the days of 'tennis' and 'PCs' since the UK101 and in this time I have seen some truly bad conversions (from arcade to console, PC to console, console to PC, console to console). I have also seem some dreadful 'made for all platforms' games too which have not worked well on any (I owned Dragon Age 2 on the PC and the 360 and it was truly awful on both!). I don't think this is one of them - in fact I think it works very well - I rather like playing it on my PC using the Xbox controller and in fact I would probably pick up a copy for the 360 when it is out, so I can play it with some of my friends who do not own a gaming PC.

I guess there have been some compromises along the way to make it 'multi platform' but to me they are not glaringly obvious nor are they badly implemented - it still feels smooth on the PC. Having said this, it being a beta there is still time to maybe add some PC specific stuff. The game is different to the usual type of games you find being made for the consoles, so if it sells well, perhaps we will see more publishers willing to fund more innovative types of games which will benefit the industry and us players as a whole.
    Jedra's Addons
    Arma 2 : Enhanced Skills Slider
    Take On Helicopters : Take On Taxi | Jedra's Time Trials | Weapon Indicators | No Radar

I do agree there are some elements you can do to help make a product capable of being put to the console, but I'm seeing too much of it so far, to the point it degrades the game, the lack of free navigation for one.

Yes its beta, I'm fully aware of this and have done many many many betas before this one, however my concerns stem from where I see the game is currently heading, and sadly it appears so far while there are some good elements the base engineering of the gameplay is rather weak and lacks tactical depth.

The UI is clunky and unwieldy in many places and liveable in others as are the controls, but that aside there are some things that currently do the game injustace in many respects such as free navigation, the effect it has on strategic options for the player, as well as it appears there's too much being payed to the FPS side of the game and too little to the strategy side.

While the old game does invoke nostalgia, I'm also smart enough to know that if you just made a updated version with better graphics in todays market I don't think it would be a big success, peoples expectations have evolved and grown, the game needs alot more expansion in the gameplay and there's a massive scope in all areas from the 4x elements to the air/land/sea side that can be expanded on enourmously, and still offer a great deal of appeal to those that like FPS and blowing things up.

I wouldn't say the main reason is that devs develope games for consoles because there's more of them, there's more PC's about than there ever will be consoles, its more of a case that its easier to do so and as a result earns more cash, PC gamers are a pretty demanding bunch, and the platform has many variants and different hardware so its harder to do, over that of a unified platform.

As to it not having a effect on the industry or the populace at large well, I'd strongly disagree, 10-15 years ago you could pretty much get a game in every genre, nowdays its all FPS because of the impact of consoles, the quality of products being offered these days is rather poor as is the variety.

Looking at when this is supposed to be comming out the door and what I've seen so far yes I've deep concerns on whats going to be at the end of it, I find myself asking is this going to be better than the original or even better than hostile waters and well so far I'm thinking no, better graphics sure gameplay well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
    I guess there have been some compromises along the way to make it 'multi platform' but to me they are not glaringly obvious nor are they badly implemented - it still feels smooth on the PC. Having said this, it being a beta there is still time to maybe add some PC specific stuff. The game is different to the usual type of games you find being made for the consoles, so if it sells well, perhaps we will see more publishers willing to fund more innovative types of games which will benefit the industry and us players as a whole.
    Completely right, the way things are these days there are going to be so many more sales of a game if it is available on the consoles, which makes it much more likely that BI will offer more content for the game later on. For the things that people don't like then use the Feedback system to say about it, you never know it may well get changed - it is STILL beta so you never know !!

G

I too project my false sense of self importance by bashing consoles at every opportunity

i think the real reason ppl hate consoles is because gamemakers limit the PC version to console capability. It's fine when the console is still new and quite powerful, but sucks when it pretty aged like nowadays.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast