Thread: Is there a complete list of textures and what they mean for the original CWC/RES ?

Is there a complete list of textures and what they mean for the original CWC/RES ?

I think it would be really useful to write one for the wiki. The same goes with both generations of ARMA.

Sorry, I'm a complete and utter n00b when it comes to texturing and modelling anything. And I can't make heads or tails of most OFP editing tutorials (except for maybe scripting). Most of them aren't even available anymore.

Frankly, I've searched absolutely everywhere for months and found nothing. How can I retexture a vehicle, if I don't even know what the original vanilla textures mean ? I wanted to just replace a roundel on a single vanilla armoured vehicle and put it into a separate addon with a custom config, but I'm not even able to do that, because there is absolutely no order or logic in what software to use, which files to open and what format to convert into another and back again.

Please, please don't point me to O2 Light or anything similar - I don't want to do any needlessly complex texturing and the utility itself never works for me, even after I repeatedly set it up precisely according to the few tutorials that exist for it. I just want to find the texture file for the roundel, swap it (manually, if I have to) and PBO back the addon (though under a different name, so it won't replace the vanilla one).

This is actually something I've been meaning to ask as well. I have all the tools recommended/required to do this (I believe). I've always just wanted to reskin existing models and turn them into custom new units for the game. Would be convenient for my C&C Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert 1 plans for OFP. Also probably Battletanx series. I've been so confused from all the searching I've been doing for all this.

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    Well... At least I'm not completely alone in this. Let's wait and see if anyone else notices this thread.

If the p3d model is in ODOL format (binarized so certainly the majority of the models you're interested into) , get this :
    Mike Schell Texture Swap Utility
    http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index....details&id=166
    (ofpec seems down at the time i write that, and i don't know of another place for this one, as strangely it is not on OFP.info)
    I have a version of this, not sure it's the same version as the one on OFPEC, but it served me well. I uploaded it there :
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/r18eya
    Just extract and click on the texturep3d.exe to launch the program

If the p3d model is in MLOD format (not binarized and so can be loaded in O2) , get this :
    Texture Path Swap
    http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?sho...96&newlang=eng

Note the one that open ODOL model can't open MLOD ones and vice versa, so you'll need both.
    Both tools are for swapping textures, but in your cases they're usefull because they give you the list of textures that are assigned to the model that is opened by them.
    Allowing you then to locate those textures if you want to modify them.

Thanks, Sanctuary. These shall come in handy.

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    What's the exact physical difference between binarized and non-binarized p3d models ? I never understood this and I've been looking into the modelling tools for quite a while.