Sign in to follow this  
gabe_ruckus

DCS World - Free SU-25T Frogfoot simulator from Eagle Dynamics

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?scr=product&ProductId=18&end_pos=135〈=en

This isn't getting a lot of press, but Eagle Dynamics (DCS A-10, Black Shark) has released the core for their to-be-released line of combat simulators in preparation for DCS P-51. The core "DCS World" is free, and includes the SU-25T Frogfoot from Flaming Cliffs 2, as well as a campaign and some single missions.

It includes an expanded Georgia map with borders for the Ossetia region and Tblisi. It's a full game, there's no fee or usage restrictions, and it runs a lot smoother for me than Flaming Cliffs did. I already own A-10 and Black Shark on steam, so I'll be checking later to see if I can activate those in DCS World, but even if I can't this is a nice little freebie.

Very cool, I will look into this later when I have some free time.

Interesting this indicates that wit the BS2 FC3 fraud sales did indeed go down. So this is the fist time in a ED game I do not have to rebuy the same plane again to still have MP access...more amazing since I flew the Su-25T in MP exclusively all the years.

Just learned over at ED forums that you can't use the Su-25T or DCS world online...it works in MP only with a valid DCS:A-10 or DCS:BS2 key.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87458&page=2

Here's the link confirming that. Still great for a free SP sim, I guess I'll have to figure out how to get my steam A10 and Black Shark modules integrated.

I've noticed some under-the-hood changes messing around with it. The lighting engine has been improved, and shadows look stunning, self shadowing on the Frogfoot especially. The ground clutter is really nice, and there's not a lot of slowdown with scenery shadows that I got with FC2. The distant scenery shadow flickering is also taken care of. Water looks very nice, and doesn't hit my FPS very badly either. The camera movement with G-Forces is another really nice touch from the DCS series, does a lot for the immersion in the cockpit.

Alright, did some reading on the DCS forums, and I've come up with the following in case anybody wants to add their DCS products to the World Program.

Black Shark 1 requires the Black Shark 2 upgrade for 20 dollars, and when installing the upgrade, you must have BS1 installed via Steam. There was initially an issue with the upgrade detecting the Steam install, but it's been fixed. This will supposedly integrate it into DCS World, but I'm going to have to try this later to confirm.

DCS A-10 has a Starforce CD Key even when purchased on Steam, so you should be able to install the download version from the DCS web site using that key to integrate it.

Again, this is all based on my reading. I'm downloading DCS A-10 right now and I'll try it later, and I might as well take the plunge and upgrade to Black Shark 2 while I'm at it. Should have more info on if and how it works later.

What should I download to have DCS World?

DCS World_en_1.1.2.0-1.bin

DCS World_en_1.1.2.0-2.bin

DCS World_en_1.1.2.0-3.bin

DCS World_en_1.1.2.0.exe

Do I need them all?

Interesting this indicates that wit the BS2 FC3 fraud sales did indeed go down. So this is the fist time in a ED game I do not have to rebuy the same plane again to still have MP access...more amazing since I flew the Su-25T in MP exclusively all the years.

Fraud? Did something happen?

@tonci

On the p51 download page, you need all the files except the small p51 installer.

Fraud? Did something happen?
Nothing else than that we had to buy the same game at least two times to have it working...ED sells patches basically at full retail. They claimes to do a DCS four years ago but all we got was single games labeled DCS that you can depose in the junk bin now.

The SU-25T is the same as in FC1-FC2 so it was payed for two times already.

FC1>FC3>FC3

BS1>BS2

Edited by Beagle

So FC 2 addons aren't going to work in DCS world?

Anyone who doesn't have any kind of DCS can grab DCS A10 for 16,99€ at steam and play this one in MP then.

Anyone who doesn't have any kind of DCS can grab DCS A10 for 16,99€ at steam and play this one in MP then.
Thats the point I have DCS ut its worthless because it's DCS:Ka-50 Blackshark...to get access to DCS world they want me to uy it again...but currently I have Ka-50 and Su-25 already (DCS:Ka-50 and FC2)

SO basicaly they charge money for a few km² more boring generic looking Gerorgian Terrain and a grass layer rendering with lower performance and new bugs.

No thanks...they did not manage to fix Ka-50 and FC2 for more than 2 years yet and I really lost confidence that after spanding 250€ this will now finally be the promised DCS with integratable Modules in one single engine that was promised back in 2008.

I don't even understand the direction ED is going with DCS.

What f**king relevance does a P-51D have to the modern battlefield, and similarly, what context does it offer in relation to Black Shark and A-10? If they actually bothered to poll users, I doubt this is the aircraft they'd opt for.

I mean I'm all for a bit of nostalgia, but I'd rather see aircraft that are pertinent to DCS added and not these 'sideshows'.

This, along with the seemingly constant practice of recharging for content I already paid for is starting to put me off ED in a big way.

I like to support companies like ED but I'm finding it harder and harder to do so.

Edited by BangTail

What I don't understand is why do they charge 39.99 for a single aircraft?

I guess if you really liked P-51s, it might be worth it. You don't actually have to buy the P-51 to use DCS world, and when they update it to integrate A-10 and Black Shark 2, you won't need it for multiplayer either. Which is good, because the P-51 was a weird choice. But, I don't have to pay for it, and I'm okay with never flying it. I'm more excited for the planned land combat expansions and 3rd party addon support. I'd love to see an American attack helicopter in DCS.

I guess if you really liked P-51s, it might be worth it. You don't actually have to buy the P-51 to use DCS world, and when they update it to integrate A-10 and Black Shark 2, you won't need it for multiplayer either. Which is good, because the P-51 was a weird choice. But, I don't have to pay for it, and I'm okay with never flying it. I'm more excited for the planned land combat expansions and 3rd party addon support. I'd love to see an American attack helicopter in DCS.

Yep, I know you don't have to buy it to use DCS world but in line with your comments, I would have rather seen that dev time go into a relevant unit(s) or an Air Traffic Control feature where you basically coordinate the air war, or anything that would enhance A-10 and BS. I have nothing against the P-51D, I just don't see it as relevant vs the rest of the DCS world.

I'd like to see the Apache or the AH-1Z (Hind and/or the Havoc as well).

I've always wanted the Tomcat (along with carrier ops) but that is a little dated at this point. I'd settle for the Sea Harrier or the FA-18 mind you ;)

Well, that was more CTDs than actual seconds of flight time.

And unlike Lock On, the controls menu doesn't seem to have even an option for flying with mouse.

Im amazed at how detailed their ground units are.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Well, that was more CTDs than actual seconds of flight time.

And unlike Lock On, the controls menu doesn't seem to have even an option for flying with mouse.

Hang on, do you mean to say you actually got flight time?! I was met with CTD everytime I tried to start a game.

Instant action - Nope, CTD. (for all 3 options)

Campaign - Nope, CTD.

Ahh, I'll try to generate my own mission...Nope, CTD.

Speaking of options - Anyone else notice the "high" missing from the textures and scenes options, and no option for HDR? :j: Is this their version of BAF/PMC lite perhaps?

Extremely disappointed with this game, and company. After hearing such good things about DCS I was excited to see this free to play option, and while it may be the case that it's just this version which is corrupted (or just my bad luck) what other people describe about their business model has put me off ever giving them any of my money.

Free Su-25T sim? Oh, and hadn't they released paid sim called Lock On Flaming Cliffs with main star as... Su-25T? I really don't understand what's going on with Lock On/DCS, didn't pay attention to this series for a long time.:( Can anybody explain me in a couple of words, what do the Black Shark 2 and DCS world mean?

Hang on, do you mean to say you actually got flight time?! I was met with CTD everytime I tried to start a game.

Instant action - Nope, CTD. (for all 3 options)

Campaign - Nope, CTD.

Ahh, I'll try to generate my own mission...Nope, CTD.

Speaking of options - Anyone else notice the "high" missing from the textures and scenes options, and no option for HDR? :j: Is this their version of BAF/PMC lite perhaps?

Extremely disappointed with this game, and company. After hearing such good things about DCS I was excited to see this free to play option, and while it may be the case that it's just this version which is corrupted (or just my bad luck) what other people describe about their business model has put me off ever giving them any of my money.

Haven't got one CTD from DCS World. Also, I don't get the no HDR option, as I have it on my install. And a last thing, this is a beta.

Free Su-25T sim? Oh, and hadn't they released paid sim called Lock On Flaming Cliffs with main star as... Su-25T? I really don't understand what's going on with Lock On/DCS, didn't pay attention to this series for a long time.:( Can anybody explain me in a couple of words, what do the Black Shark 2 and DCS world mean?

The Su-25T wasn't the star of FC2, it just had an advanced flight model, instead of the basic one that the rest of the aircrafts had.

DCS World is something like the main hub where all the DCS aircraft/combined arms/whatever-else-they're-modelling modules are going to get connected to. They released the beta, and I suppose they released the free Su-25T as a means to test DCS:W without having to buy the P-51 module, as the older modules haven't been patched for compatility with it yet.

Ka-50 Black Shark 2 is one of those modules, along with A-10c, P-51, Su-21 and the unnamed american jet plane that's in development, that we currently have knowledge of their existence.

Edited by Remon