Sign in to follow this  
Bandus

Question About Defeating Enemy Carrier

So, I'm new to the game and have been enjoying the beta/contribute so far. However, one thing has me a bit confused. I'm seeing folks posting that the enemy carrier is very easy to defeat or that they're defeating it too quickly. However, every time I encounter it the enemy carrier simply dominates my own. I've tried launching Mantas/Walrus' in advance, however, I don't seem to be able to give them attack orders on the enemy carrier itself.

Is anyone else having trouble with this, or could perhaps offer me some tips on what to try to be more successful?

Yeah, I too get creamed by the enemy carrier ... whenever its AI is working.

A couple of times I've come across it and it has set there doing nothing til I've sunk it.

Usually sending Mantas in first gets them shot up instantly.

I usually send in 2x Heat, 1x Plasma, 1x Repair Walruses. Let them chew the enemy up, and once it's defensive cannon are out, send in the Mantas.

If its at a friendly island, use the local forces too.

I posted this yesterday but it didn't show up.. .not sure why...

As soon as you detect the enemy, launch a manta equipped with a laser, rockets and ammo box.

Then order your carrier to run away. Take control of the manta - go as low as you can and stay there while heading to the enemy carrier.

Hit the "catamaran" sides with 8 rockets each. One side, then the other. This will disable the engines.

Use the laser on the bridge or stay low and fly back toward home to refuel/rearm.

Defensive guns cannot depress past 0 degrees - so staying low makes the carrier a sitting duck. Never use AI control to take on a carrier....

At that point its easy to take out the defensive guns and the the plasma....

If you are the patient type, Walrus's are much slower but the cannon shell does massive damage. Just stop the carrier before you use the walrus.

Make sure you continually inflict some damage to engines to keep the enemy stationary.

I usually deploy all my units and then move them back a bit, then take control of my plasma gun and take out its turrets then hammer at its engines as it starts running, I will either let it run or fly low and fast with a manta to take out it's engines. Im currently playing on 2 notches above the default.