Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

Naval War Arctic Circle: modern naval RTS

http://www.navalwargame.com/

as I'm very old fashioned I am still waiting for my DVD, but I found this nice video that gives a pretty good idea:

It does suck graphically, but for the rest it's interesting. And there is an editor coming. Plus, it's quite cheap.

Strange that this game hasn't been mentioned here yet. I personally spent a lot of hours playing Harpoon and Fleet Command, which are the inspiration for this game.

I also spent countless hours playing Fleet Command (in fact it's the first game I played seriously online), but this pales in comparison. Quite simplistic and the graphics are extremely basic. I know it's not all about the graphics, but seriously, the quality is almost Fleet Command-esque, and that was released in 1999.

Fun for a couple of hours, I played all the demo missions, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

I also spent countless hours playing Fleet Command (in fact it's the first game I played seriously online), but this pales in comparison. Quite simplistic and the graphics are extremely basic. I know it's not all about the graphics, but seriously, the quality is almost Fleet Command-esque, and that was released in 1999.

Fun for a couple of hours, I played all the demo missions, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

That is a major disappointment. I have been waiting for years for a game like that. These games are not made very often.

Although I have to say that the impression I have from the video and from the reviews is only that graphically it's terrible. The complexity seems to be all there.

I can survive with terrible graphics if the rest of the game is okay

That's the thing though, the game itself wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. Had a very 'indie game' feel to it.

I didn't think the sensor simulation was very realistic, the weapons (especially SSMs) were extremely unreliable, there was a lot of clipping (ships and aircraft flying through land mass), resulting in one of my frigates getting stuck 'in' land. These are a few issues I can think of, off the top of my head.

I finally managed to fight my aversion for Steam and I installed the demo. The game needs Steam anyway after all.

The game does need some polishing. I got annoyed when my mouse stopped working when I tried to use the map. And a couple of things of the user interface and gameplay can be improved. But it doesn't look bad. They already released a couple of patches, hopefully it gets better. I miss modern naval warfare games like Fleet Command and the good old Harpoon. Not to mention Dangerous Waters.