Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

Want to live? Head for the hills. Don't go to Cherno or Elektro and expect to survive... it just doesn't work. Get as far away from other players as possible.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some form of "group spawn" capability, where a team could spawn in the same area and play through the game together.

I am a Lone Wolf and I have found that Lone Wolfs are often very respectful toward each other.

Just another element you poorpussysticktogetherforsafty people will have to deal with.:couch:

BoneBoys, this is fine! I do appreciate the fact you seem to know how to play (and plan!) well enough to be able to cope on your own. I do not wish to see the game's atmosphere being watered down by restrictions to make survival more "convenient" by players who are not able to do what you do. In my experience exactly those people are the ones who complain about the difficulty and exactly those people are the ones (on the servers, not those with constructive suggestions here on the forums!) who do not form groups of any kind. You have to admit it gets easier if you stick together, as you think twice about attacking a group in comparison to a lone wolf. I do not "blame" you for relying on your own. It's some fantastic gameplay, in fact, I know.

In my eyes 4 tents and one fire place should offer a group spawn! but one must be in sight of it. Something like that. And maybe one of the tents should be ones own tent in order to be able to spawn.

Edited by tremanarch

Finally a game mode where you have to think and plan a little and so many people already want to dumb it down.

It has nothing to do with dumbing things down but rather everything to do with endowing bandits with a healthy respect for their own lives which otherwise isn't simulated in-game (respawn, repeat).

In as much as this is a social experiment its fails completely without that very real disincentive to initiate conflicts with lethal consequence.

being a bandit is already hard. You get shot at whenever someone sees you. And I came across Situations where I saw people and wated to move. I said i lower the weapon and move slowly across a field. But they said yes they let me go, but then shot at me.

Bandit Skin means : get attacked.

The problem this game has is the grand theft auto effect. In real life, if SHTF in a wilderness, there would be no repercussions for secretly ambushing and killing people. And no bandit skins either.

But in a real life Liberty City, 99% wouldn't have turned into Genghis Khan the first time they saw an old lady crossing the street in the presence of a garbage truck. The fact that it's a game makes the state of nature bring out more brutality than it really would. 80% of soldiers couldn't bring themselves to kill even in the midst of WWII.

It has nothing to do with dumbing things down but rather everything to do with endowing bandits with a healthy respect for their own lives which otherwise isn't simulated in-game (respawn, repeat).

In as much as this is a social experiment its fails completely without that very real disincentive to initiate conflicts with lethal consequence.

I see your point. There are people out there who see this as a deathmatch variant and do not care about them having to respawn. However, either make respawning more tedious for everyone (implement a waiting time, but nothing like a "death penalty") and thus make the current virtual life seem more precious for players. This will also force groups of people to act more careful around zombies. I like the strategic component of firefights in zombie-infested areas.

Just a thought: What about setting up two "modes" for this mod: "beginner" servers that have restrictions and show newcomers how it is played and "expert" servers where everything is allowed and the mod can, in my opinion, truly unfold.

being a bandit is already hard. You get shot at whenever someone sees you. And I came across Situations where I saw people and wated to move. I said i lower the weapon and move slowly across a field. But they said yes they let me go, but then shot at me.

Bandit Skin means : get attacked.

Team up with other bandits. Works well for me. :-)

Hey, The.D,

the reason I decided to become a Lone Wolf is because I've been killed nearly as much by "survivors as by Zed's. I just don't trust anybody anymore.

A fine example playing tonight... I entered a factory area where one guy was having a little trouble with teh zombies, I threw a flare from the roof so he could at least see what was going on around him in the compound, I took out a couple of Z's.

He survived and was patching himself up when another player came onto the scene and shot him, that pissed me off, so what did I do:uzi:.

Turns out he was a bandit.

That is the only time I have killed a survivor.

Don't get me wrong, if I was out of food & drink and only hanging on by the skin of my teeth, I would get real mean.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

YEA!!..

Also :

Zombie flies/Zombie ants/Zombie plants/Zombie crows/Zombie admins etc-etc-etc..

You forgot to add /Zombie zombies, ha!

Actually I've met roaming Zombies, not exactly in the woods but heading between homesteads/villages along the roads.

I tracked a couple for a few K's just to see what they were up to. They were heading North !

I loved Arma 2 but must admit I got a bit overwhelmed at the online as it seemed every server I joined had very quiet people on who must have already known their roles and just seemed to ignore me. I spent ages trying to get involved but I really did not meet a single friendly person.

Watching the vids for this mod on youtube made me actually sit forward in my chair and almost start drooling. Amazing fun to watch and I hope as much fun to play. Like I said, I had to hurriedly download OA to be able to get this mod, still got 27% to download of OA. Cannot wait to get started.

Hey, The.D,

the reason I decided to become a Lone Wolf is because I've been killed nearly as much by "survivors as by Zed's. I got kiles at least twpfold the times by "survivors"...it's darggign me away from this mod that whenever you rty to make a contact and close in with lowered weapon you get killed...at that point you realize that the communication in this game is broken and it is impossible to make contact an any way execpt text chat....so i always got shot while typing. Im tired of getting all the gear together again so I do as all the others do, stop playing nice guy and become a Bandit.

bandit all the way! Shoot first, ask questions later! Shoot first, and shoot often! You can't get pk'ed by a sketchy survivor if you put a bullet in his head!!

How about a much simpeler solution: Respawn with an even worse gun, or no gun at all. It makes having to start over very hard if you are alone, but quite doable in a team, and makes your life much more precious, especially if you are alone.

I've started to play Dayz a few hours ago, very cool mod but i really don't understand all of this pvp rage, for this reason i've tried to avoid every player i've found, thankfully i've met a friend so we will keep playing together for a while, Beagle next time if you see me on a server and we are close enough you have the opportunity to join two totally newbies who prefer team play against zombies and hate pvp :)

I hope there won't be any "balancing" changes to the PvP aspect of this mod.

What could make the gameplay frustrating, is the broken direct chat, which makes it very hard to communicate with others - once (if) it is fixed, everything will be fine again.

I haven't got much problems with bandits (i was killed by other player only once), just use common sense and be careful where you go and who do you talk to - exactly as your mommy is saying.

Never had any problems finding some friendly players to tag along.

I prefer to play cooperatively, or as a "lone wolf", but i also enjoy being a bandit from time to time.

If you feel you absolutely must do something about those evil bandits, then do something to MOTIVATE people to cooperate, but DO NOT PENALIZE bandits for PvP.

For example, add some random side missions (clear area from zombies / rescue some AI survivors / bring medicine to wounded AI survivor / whatever) which would need more players to successfully complete them, and resulting in some rewards (better weapon, ammo, etc.), but let the bandits to do whatever they want, without them it would be just a half of the fun.

Maybe restrict these missions to reward only non-bandits.

Also, it would be great if everyone could choose his character model, and save it, so next time the player logs in, he would have the same model.

It could be restricted somehow, ie. limit models available to bandits, or unlock other models only after XX hours of being alive while keeping humanity high, whatever...

Beagle,

I'm not playing the nice guy, I'm trying to survive ,not very well I admit but trying.

I must be doing something wrong though, the most Z kills I've reached is 56 or so.

When I look at the scores some guys are up there in the hundreds. I guess they are camping a hot spot and waiting...in groups.

There are better ways of doing that then banning them from the game.

Example:

If your humanity is below Zero you spawn with half of the gear you should normally have.

If your humanity is below -5k you spawn with only 2 magazines for you makarov, a bandage and the worst backpack.

-10k and you start with 1 makarov mag at 2k blood

If you killed 5 bandits last life and your humanity is over 1k you get to spawn with a better pistol 10+ bandits and you spawn with a PP-19 Bizon.

EDIT: NUMBER ARE FOR DEMO ONLY AND ARE NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.

Edited by Angle

I like that idea. Zombie karma.

But perhaps the best re-adjustment for pvp vs co-op would be giving players more things to do, long term survival projects that are incompatible with banditry.

Do you lose Humanity when killing Bandits?

Because, when I think of it. Killing them is the best you can do. Bandits from Airports have all you ever wanted, NVGs, Best weapons, AMmo and Equipment! They should be the first and most lucrative target out there! Just go for the airports and dont bother the houses with shitty loot, just watch out for bandits with the good loot.

Do you lose Humanity when killing Bandits?

Because, when I think of it. Killing them is the best you can do. Bandits from Airports have all you ever wanted, NVGs, Best weapons, AMmo and Equipment! They should be the first and most lucrative target out there! Just go for the airports and dont bother the houses with shitty loot, just watch out for bandits with the good loot.

If my information is current, you lose a nominal amount for an unprovoked attack and none if you are damaged first. Losing humanity is needed because if bandits have a deathmatch by themselves just because there are no survivors around, they'd lose their bandit status fairly quickly.

So I just joined my first server which was closest to me. The load times were excruciating (almost 20 mins), and there were no environmental sounds whatsoever.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the mod borked?

Edited by DetCord

Looks like this mod gave ArmA 2's sales a huge boost, it has taken over Black Ops 2 preorders and is on it's way to page 1. Yet another proof that there is lots of untapped potential for ArmA 2 multiplayer, especially when you put in some PvP elements. I hope BIS will support this mod so we can see it as part of ArmA 3 at day 1 :)

Me and my friend couldn't join today :(

It said that CBA/addons/ a bunch of the PBOs like arrays, eventhandlers, ai needs to be removed or needs the proper server keys to join.

We both redownloaded and reinstalled latest CBA, jayLib and DayZ files.

Any help?