Dwarden

User Monetization of BI's games Audio&Video content(YoutTube,Twitch Partnership etc.)

New Rules are available on

http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/game-content-usage-rules

http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/monetization

e.g.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/monetization/youtube

http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/monetization/twitch

the rules are simpler, they cover wider range

and are less annoyance for all involved parties (us, content creator and the service)

previous rules:

Steps needed to obtain License

1. Download attached document " Bohemia_Interacttive_Youtube_approval_new_2013.PDF "

2. Fill the date, name

3. Write email, include Your website, YT/Vimeo etc. channels (if You have more than 10k users and 100k/work views then mention it in bold)

4. Use subject named [Audio&Video Monetization]+your subject text

5. send to following email(s) to me (yours lovely Community Manager :p )

<removed-obsolete>

and copy to our PR staff

<removed-obsolete>

6. NOTE: this is one way process (don't expect us send you anything) !

you announce to us with the signed document (+details filled) then you tell Youtube etc. you did that + link them to post #1 in this thread

the PDF text contains

'BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE' as (“THE LICENSERâ€)

GRANTS TO '…..................................................................................................................................' (“THE APPLICANT“)

A PERSONAL, NON-EXCLUSIVE, NON-TRANSFERABLE LICENSE TO USE AND DISPLAY GAME CONTENT

(“THE CONTENTâ€)

AND TO CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS BASED UPON AUDIO & VIDEO CAPTURE / RECORDING

(“THE WORK“) OF (“THE CONTENTâ€),

FOR A WORLDWIDE COMMERCIAL USE OF (“THE WORK“) BASED ON FULL, DEMO VERSIONS OF

"POUND OF GROUND", "ALTERNATIVA", "THE FISH FILLETS 2", "PAT & MAT", "MEMENTO MORI",

"ARMA: COLD WAR ASSAULT", "ARMA: COMBAT OPERATIONS", "ARMA: GOLD", "ARMA 2", "ARMA 2: FREE",

"ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD", "ARMA 2: COMBINED OPERATIONS", "ALPHA PRIME",

"ARMA 2: BRITISH ARMED FORCES", "ARMA 2: PRIVATE MILITARY COMPANY", "ARMA 2: REINFORCEMENTS", "ARMA 2: ARMY OF CZECH REPUBLIC", "ARMA 2: FIRING RANGE", "ARMA 2: COMPLETE COLLECTION", "TAKE ON HELICOPTERS", "TAKE ON HELICOPTERS: HINDS", "TAKE ON HELICOPTERS: REARMED",

"TAKE ON HELICOPTERS: NOISECONTROLLERS", "CARRIER COMMAND: GAEA MISSION", "ARMA 3",

"TAKE ON MARS",

,(“THE GAMESâ€) FROM (“THE LICENSERâ€), UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

1. (“THE LICENSERâ€) IS INFORMED BY (“THE APPLICANT“) ABOUT ANY (“THE WORK“) RELEASE CONTAINING (“THE CONTENTâ€) BASED ON (“THE GAMESâ€) (IN CASE OF SERIAL, CHANNEL ONLY 1ST INSTANCE NEEDED)

2. (“THE LICENSERâ€) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO OBJECT AGAINST TO (“THE WORK“).

IN THAT CASE (“THE APPLICANT“) AGREES TO REMOVE THE (“THE WORK“) IN QUESTION

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (TAKING NO LONGER THAN 60 DAYS PERIOD).

3. (“THE LICENSERâ€) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THIS LICENSE AT ANY TIME AND

(“THE APPLICANT“) AGREES TO NOT RELEASE ANY ADDITIONAL (“THE WORK“)

4. (“THE APPLICANT“)AGREES TO INCLUDE INTO EVERY (“THE WORK“) AND IT'S DESCRIPTION

THE FOLLOWING NOTICE:

" This video was created using games from Bohemia Interactive. "

" '%Game's Title%' is a registered trademark of Bohemia Interactive a.s. "

" See www.bistudio.com for more information."

5. IF (“THE APPLICANT“)'sINCOME FROM (“THE WORK“) CONTAINING (“THE CONTENTâ€) BASED ON

(“THE GAMESâ€) IS HIGHER THAN 1 (ONE) THOUSAND EURO (EUROPEAN UNION) OR 1 (ONE) THOUSAND USD (REST OF WORLD) PER MONTH THEN (“THE APPLICANT“) MUST INFORM (“THE LICENSERâ€)AND

OBTAIN A NEW APPROVED LICENSE BY (“THE LICENSERâ€) (THROUGHT NON-PUBLIC DOCUMENT)

6. (“THE LICENSERâ€) DOESN'T GRANT (“THE APPLICANT“) ANY LICENSE TO COMMUNITY MADE CONTENT!

(“THE APPLICANT“) MUST SEEK TO OBTAIN SUCH LICENSE FROM THE COMMUNITY CONTENT CREATORS!

Example of use:

You record video of Your 100vs100 battle on server and want upload it to Your Youtube account

(monetizing is paid by Google for ads shown etc.) this license approval can be used for passing Google's rules on the granted rights

Note:

you make audio and/or video using our games content or our media content and then want get or get profit off it ?

you need to have or obtain license approval

any text related work (e.g. story set in ARMA's universum needs extra approval/changed license etc.)

You don't need re-edit and reupload already uploaded videos, you will lose Your YT view counts etc.

You don't need to wait for us to reply, the must key is fill the form and send it to us ...

so we are aware of Your existance

if You need acknowledge from us please send us another email asking for it explicitly

and define if you need it as document or just email

Addenum:

Non-profit a&v cases stays same as until now !

This doesn't cover anything from user-made content,

for that You need obtain approval from the respective IP owners.

HTTP download: http://downloads.bistudio.com/youtube/Bohemia_Interactive_Youtube_approval_new_2013.pdf

the PDFs are now obsolete too ...

Edited by Dwarden
more clear title, 2013 July update

Thread opened , only for discussion related to A&V monetizing licenses

So, if I got this right, if we want to upload some gameplay for example from mentioned games to YT, we need BIS approval? What happens with already uploaded stuff?

this is related only to situation(s) where You making profit, hence the monetization word in subject ...

if You already do that then i wonder how You could obtain Google's approval w/o our approval :)

in that case i suggest double fast to sign and send ...

This is the legal mumbo-jumbo for making money off of the videos. ;)

You can still upload ArmA vids without a license, as long as you don't make money off of it.

Edit:

Damn, ninjaed.

So, if I got this right, if we want to upload some gameplay for example from mentioned games to YT, we need BIS approval? What happens with already uploaded stuff?

As far as I understand it, this is about giving video authors permissions to get money from Google for the ads they server over your videos of the games listed above. Non profit videos are not affected.

Edit:

Double ninja'd. :(

Oh ok then, thx for replies, I understand now. And no, I'm not making any money from the uploaded vids. :D

So this wont affect me if I dont make any money( or trying to) from youtube videos containing BIS material.

So this wont affect me if I dont make any money( or trying to) from youtube videos containing BIS material.

erm, what says last line in first post :)

erm, what says last line in first post :)

sorry :o missed it, (how I could do that)

1. BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE IS INFORMED BY (“THE APPLICANT“) ABOUT ANY (“THE WORK“) RELEASE CONTAINING (“THE CONTENTâ€)BASED ON (“THE GAMESâ€)

Does this mean we have to notify you for every individual video we upload, or is just the youtube channel enough? and who do we notify/what email do we send the notification to?

Does this mean we have to notify you for every individual video we upload, or is just the youtube channel enough? and who do we notify/what email do we send the notification to?

ofcourse multiple works, this is license covering any and all work related to content from titles mentioned

4.(“THE APPLICANT“) AGREES TO INCLUDE INTO EVERY (“THE WORK“)

AND IT'S DESCRIPTION THE FOLLOWING NOTICE:

"This video is created using games from Bohemia Interactive.

See www.bistudio.com for more information."

For existing videos, would we have to re-edit and add this text into the video itself and re-upload, or can adding this to the description be sufficient?

I'm somewhat convinced that people still believe they need to do this even if they don't earn money from it... Either that or a lot of guys here make profit with their YT channels.

Edited by Minoza

The timing of this thread is amazing, I have been thinking about this recently.

Anyway, a question. If I upload a video that contains addons, do I have to get permission from the creator of said addon? Im aware that it seems to mention this in the first post but maybe its because I am tired I am not quite understanding it. For example if I was to record gameplay on a custom island would I need permision from the maker of the island as well?

Here are some factors for your consideration:

BIS allows content makers to retain the copyright of their stuff, therefore I do not think that BIS can authorize third parties to make money off of their work. It seems like any money being made off of third party addon content should be up to the person who holds to copyright to that work.

Many content licenses preclude using the addon/map/mod/script/sound pack in commerical products. Making a video and selling adspace on it is a commercial excercise.

It seems like if you are considering making money off of someone else's work, and their license prevents that (either directly by mentioning it or indirectly by NOT mentioning it), then you are at risk for a number of very messy things that I'm sure are not worth the revenue you are generating.

Nevermind addon rights issues, or anything like community credit, or that sort of thing: when there is money involved there are actual provable damages that are easily quantifiable.

Edited by Max Power

The timing of this thread is amazing, I have been thinking about this recently.

Anyway, a question. If I upload a video that contains addons, do I have to get permission from the creator of said addon? Im aware that it seems to mention this in the first post but maybe its because I am tired I am not quite understanding it. For example if I was to record gameplay on a custom island would I need permision from the maker of the island as well?

you need obtain approval to use our license plus obtain approval from the author of the addon(s)

As per the first requirement of the PDF, how do we notify Bohemia Interactive of new works we wish to monetize? For example, when it comes to a single YouTube video, do we email the two addresses in the first post with the URL and PDF attached?

Assuming that is true, if we create a second video an hour later, do we do the same? Going on, if we create a third video the next day, do we change the date in the PDF and send the URL, etc, again? By all means spell it out for me, because I question the scalability of the system as I understand it, particularly for users who create and upload a number of monetizeable videos per week, unless there is a person at Bohemia Interactive whose job is "YouTube watcher."

you need obtain approval to use our license plus obtain approval from the author of the addon(s)

Thank you for clearing that up, it makes more sense now.

Hold on... I can make money from my ArmA youtube videos?!

Through Google AdSense, yes.

YT will put a notice about it in your video manager when you (your videos) eligible for it.

Haven´t come around trying it yet, as AdSense is like an ancient chinese riddlebox for me.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/account_monetization

As per the first requirement of the PDF, how do we notify Bohemia Interactive of new works we wish to monetize? For example, when it comes to a single YouTube video, do we email the two addresses in the first post with the URL and PDF attached?

Assuming that is true, if we create a second video an hour later, do we do the same? Going on, if we create a third video the next day, do we change the date in the PDF and send the URL, etc, again? By all means spell it out for me, because I question the scalability of the system as I understand it, particularly for users who create and upload a number of monetizeable videos per week, unless there is a person at Bohemia Interactive whose job is "YouTube watcher."

while i said before it covers multiple works, but not projects e.g. if You have 2 different websites or two channels with separated content, You need 'inform' us with sending another emai lwith new license ...

remember it's not just for You being covered but us keeping track who/where/why/how which might come handy e.g. when giving a&v content makers something ahead etc.

AFAIK, BI has to actively protect its IP. If it doesn't take a proactive stance, it can place their claims of ownership in jeopardy. So what are they going to do if they find themselves behind the 8 ball and having to suddenly protect their property? Sue the whole internet?

This is a fascinating discussion, this is the problem for the Film industry currently except their behind the 8 Ball (hehe).

I agree with the licensing of ad-sense videos however I would like to see BIS take on intellectual property in a different way... Perhaps there is money to be made from community content? What if through the collaboration of the community modders and BIS they create a "Community DLC"? a particular project that encompasses all the talent for a unified goal of creating something truly unique and special in the gaming industry.

Just a thought.

i wonder if some of You actually understood the subject or just rant for sake of ranting ...

the thing is, that some people make some money using our content/engine ....

and they either not asked us for aproval yet or need it to not break service rules, laws and IP licencing etc.

this covers it, makes theirs life easier as they have covered the approval for the sites they use (

it's not just Google, there dozens similar networks for both video and audio)

in rare cases someone makes hefty amount of money from this, he will need contact us again

where we will set individual license type for him

if that's not fair , what's it?

---

@CarlGustafa ... Your rant makes no sense at all, first warning for useless clutter

giving credits is part of good manners ... and even mentioning what addons You used in video helps more people to find new modifications