Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community Helicopter Initiative MOD (CHI)

Exclamation Community Helicopter Initiative MOD (CHI)

With Take On Helicopters: Rearmed finally available (in a beta), I'd like to try to get this project going.

Rearmed broadens the scope of TKOH and Hinds to a very large degree and the hope is to catch the attention
    of players and modders alike for the engine.
    Even though the Arma 3 community alpha is already on the horizon or precisely for that reason
    the engine could serve as a good learning tool and test bed for future endeavors.

Overall the initiative is to focus on the armed conflict - Hinds, and hopefully other combat choppers,
    to be sent into missions in singleplayer, two crew COOP or multiplayer scenarios with ground and air assets working together.
    That said with a higher popularity and increased modding, we may also see scenarios and systems useful for civilian pilots.

Now why should you care if you dislike choppers and always crash them as soon as you enter?

The reason is your buddy and people in your group might be in love with them, and they cannot wait to get a real challenge
    and still be able to join the battlefield alongside with you. Or in other words your world can remain almost the same,
    while your ace pilot will be a happy dude from there on.

For players the MOD is meant to generate, provide and offer:

• New scenarios both in SP and MP
    • Upgraded A2/OA missions playable with TKOH choppers
    • Hopefully more challenging and dynamic missions
    • Or even dynamic missions/campaigns focused around combat chopper assignments
    • More realistic and challenging weapon systems
    • More advanced systems for radar, armament and other systems you can think of
    • Tweaks to the FM of existing TKOH choppers
    • Update and improve existing A2/OA choppers to make use of the TKOH FMs and new features

For modders the MOD is meant to create an open and loose group and at the same time dedicated team to:

• realize some of the ideas above for players
    • explore and share new insights of modding in the TKOH engine
    • learn about and make use of new scripting commands (like profileNamespace)

These are some of the ideas I could think of - surely there are plenty more.

My personal dream would be story-driven/very atmospheric scenarios/campaigns that make use of radio chatter,
    and other assets of old chopper games that are abandonware or where permissions can be obtained for external use.

Something along the lines of Jane's AH-64D Longbow is what a good friend of mine would love to see.
    While I am personally as (way) less hardcore and like the Comanche series back in the day.

With that being said this initiative, MOD and new team can only become successful with your participation in one form or another.
    Therefore with this start I'd like to ask about your thoughts as well as your conditions to participate and obstacle that would prevent you to.

Thank you.

PS: This is not to become a request thread.
    Last edited by .kju [PvPscene]; Apr 13 2012 at 19:34.

Community Funded Modding - Become a patreon!

(271 of 1000$ per month by 31 patrons reached for first tier)

Current projects: CUP, AiA TP, AiA SA, AiA HQ, IFA3

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    I don't mind having a go at making some MP and SP missions to play, I already have a few drawn up (on both Taki and South Asia). I could actually make some TOH versions of some of the old [EVO] missions I made if you want. I don't have Hinds yet but should be getting it at the end of this month. (I am sure I can get [EVO] Crash to come up with some awesome ideas like he usually does)(also I don't have the beta patch, probably going to wait till the stable version is out before updating)
    My custom missions:
    TOH - COOP5 Operation Pegasus http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ration-Pegasus
    TOH - COOP Convoy attack (both Hinds and stock versions) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-Convoy-Attack
    A2CO Multi-mission Template http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...48#post2182048
    Basic Vehicle respawn script (A3 Alpha) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...72#post2389272

[EVO] Multigaming Clan is recuiting at ts3.evoclan.net

Private First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPscene View Post
    • Update and improve existing A2/OA choppers to make use of the TKOH FMs and new features
    I may have something to show you, guys:

Best about this is that there are no changes in the original air*.pbo files, which means, that:
    one - the chopper behaves just as usual when being flown in ArmA,
    two - the copywrights are obeyed.
    The only issue is a horrific sound bug appearing at startup if the mod is run with A.C.E.
    I've run some similar test with AH-1Z and UH-1Y (with Medium's FM) among others and they were allso succesfull, what leads me to belief, that it's possible to make literally every stock/addon ArmA chopper to fly more realisticly in ToH
    So now all that we need are modders with means and knowledge to write dedicated FMs for those ArmA helos

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Rahonavis View Post
    I may have something to show you, guys:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AvFU...ature=youtu.be
    Best about this is that there are no changes in the original air*.pbo files, which means, that:
    one - the chopper behaves just as usual when being flown in ArmA,
    two - the copywrights are obeyed.
    The only issue is a horrific sound bug appearing at startup if the mod is run with A.C.E.
    I've run some similar test with AH-1Z and UH-1Y (with Medium's FM) among others and they were allso succesfull, what leads me to belief, that it's possible to make literally every stock/addon ArmA chopper to fly more realisticly in ToH
    So now all that we need are modders with means and knowledge to write dedicated FMs for those ArmA helos

Best regards!
    This can be big news. Looking eager to see more.

well done Rahonavis

I assume you have ported the config definition to the A2/OA choppers?
    Looks very promising - would be nice to integrate it into Rearmed.

From what I understand modifying the model would allow more fine-tuned tweaks to the FM at least,
    and to define the interaction points. Still an interesting FM for all A2/OA choppers would be a great start!

So if I understand well we'll be able to fly in ARMA2 with TOH fly model?

Or with Arma2's chopper in TOH?
    Youtube Channel
    Don't Live on the Edge, Jump off it! ♥♫

Private First Class
    well done Rahonavis
    Thanks!

I assume you have ported the config definition to the A2/OA choppers?
    Something like that, only I didn't modify the original configs. Instead I made a small new config, that upon activation in ToH calls for the original config (Mi-17 config in this case) and adds ToH definitions to it. This way we can keep things vanilla clean in ArmA (should one want to play it without ToH), whle enchancing A2/OA capabilities in ToH Rearmed. Other good thing is, as I understand, the copywrights are obeyed - downloading the mod won't let you to fly the Mi-8/Mi-17 unless you have the original stuff from ArmA. Last, but not least, this small mod deosn't affect just stock A2 Mi-8, but any other mod choppers, that call for it's configs, like the Mi-8 from Vilass' mod, that I fly in the video, or the H-19 that stands in front of it.

Looks very promising - would be nice to integrate it into Rearmed.

From what I understand modifying the model would allow more fine-tuned tweaks to the FM at least,
    and to define the interaction points. Still an interesting FM for all A2/OA choppers would be a great start!
    What I meant is that it would be great if someone could create dedicated FM for Hip and other A2 choppers. For now the Mi-8 has the Heavy/Merlin FM and flies like one, but ToH allows to create new FMs, so if had one featuring Mi-8 characteristics instead of Merlin's, the Hip would fly more realisticly than now. Same goes for any other A2 rotorcraft. I tried tweaking the FM myself, but the results were a disaster, so I decided to stick with just slightly modified Heavy FM for now

Aside of that, I wonder if it would be possible to make those copters use some other ToH features. For instance PiP function in the rearview mirror on that Mi-8.

Anyways, here's the link to that Mi-8 mod, if you'd like to test it yourself:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?395cq4937cqzwa4

Quote Originally Posted by hon0 View Post
    Or with Arma2's chopper in TOH?
    We'll be able to fly A2 choppers in ToH, just as now, only with the ToH flight modelling apllied applied to those A2 helos.
    Last edited by Rahonavis; Sep 28 2012 at 13:14.

Anyone interested in getting the TKOH FM for A2/OA choppers should try this starter pack:
    http://pvpscene.armaholic.com/files/...CO_Choppers.7z

It includes:
    • Rahonavis sample config (a bit improved)
    • A template config for all A2/OA choppers
    • Configs for all TKOH choppers reduced to their TKOH only values

When new to this, a start would be to copy and paste the desired FM values from the TKOH choppers to the A2/OA ones.
    More experienced modders could transfer also others part of the TKOH technology over.

@Rahonavis
    Are you sure your sound definitions work? I was told it required model modifications; so for A2/OA choppers we have to use the A2/OA sound system/definitions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast