Sign in to follow this  
*LK1*

freedom for Viktor Bout

Let's throw to the jail all producers of alcohol. I'm sure, their products killed at least the same amount of people as guns that are sold by such guys as Bout.

typical western double standard.

Well... I don't know any person who could be exchanged for Bout. Maybe in some days we'll find some evil American spy who tried to steal a very secret stuff, but failed and was caught by FSB and sentenced for about 20 years in jail. But now we have nothing to do. Bout went across US interests, that's all. Other guys that did the same were hanged or murdered by the mob of rebels.

Everyone who sells arms to rebel groups shoud go to jail

So who will go rotting for FSA and Libyan rebels support?:raisebrow:

So who will go rotting for FSA and Libyan rebels support?:raisebrow:

You got in moments before me thinking the same, I was going to add that it seems in this day and age its ok if the rebels are good rebels for your cause. Or somone supply the rebels you dont like that you dont get an nice little earner from are the bad ones, the others are ok for the duration required.

Its just depends on what part of the fence you sit while being a "rebel".

Edited by mrcash2009

I've always said that if Nick Griffin and his racist BNP Party come to power in the UK, I'm becoming a rebel. I hope you don't become my arms dealer! ;)

No, thats being an "extremist" thats a sub catagory of "terror" today, rebels are useful if they are on your team, extremists are just out and out threat to all humanity in any form under any scenario, your just sooo not 21st century darling :)

Its just depends on what part of the fence you sit while being a "rebel".

That's just it. The old Freedom Fighter vs. Terrorist argument.

It's a difficult situation.

That's just it. The old Freedom Fighter vs. Terrorist argument.

It's a difficult situation.

Made even more so by TV propaganda and the bogey men everywhere "thing".

Anyway, back on to this specific topic, if in his world he is a bad boy then so be it, its not like people dont know the double standards and even in that realm it doesnt excuse anyone on any level, but it does highlight the double standard clearer, so it does have that going for it.

Libya & middle east situations are great examples of double standards, at what point are you aiding rebels and then also winding up terrorists based on the end results? Its a funny old game thats for sure. Much like the Russian afghanistan/moudjahidine = bad boys for this generation end results.

Edited by mrcash2009

It's possible Viktor will never be free. The US is only the first in the list of countries that wanted this notorious UN sanctions buster brought to justice. After he has served his sentence he will probably be extradited elsewhere for another one as has occurred with other international criminals. I am surprised at the reaction of the Russian Governement, is this a de facto admission that his criminality was officially sponsored?

rebels aligned to western interest = ok

rebels aligned to anything else = terrorists

He sold to the 'wrong' rebels thats all.

rebels aligned to western interest = ok

rebels aligned to anything else = terrorists

He sold to the 'wrong' rebels thats all.

Are you saying the carnage Bout enabled in Africa was OK? 100,000s of people have died there. The sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council on the area were approved by everyone, East and West.

As for FARC:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez rejected their classification as "terrorists" in January 2008, considering them to be "real armies", and called on the Colombian and other governments to recognize the guerrillas as a "belligerent force", arguing that this would then oblige them to renounce kidnappings and terrorism, and respect the Geneva Conventions.

So they aren't terrorists, they are a real army that engages in terrorism? It's all so clear to me now lol.

The problem is that it is impossible to distinguish rebels or terrorists from "freedom fighters".

Not sellign arms to them is in turn the same as supporting supression by dictators...just look at middle east to see the double standard

Gadaffi = Bad Dictator

Assad = Not so bad dictator but has international backup and "rebels" dotn get weapons deliveries likme the libyan gangsters did.

International weapons trade is big business and more and more done by USA,Russia,Germany,China,France directly without the uncontrolable privateers like Bout that were still needed in the 90's when open weapon trades wer not to easy to conceal like in the current 11 years of wartime.

Edited by Beagle

Are you saying the carnage Bout enabled in Africa was OK? 100,000s of people have died there. The sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council on the area were approved by everyone, East and West.

As for FARC:

So they aren't terrorists, they are a real army that engages in terrorism? It's all so clear to me now lol.

were saturated with western media, it's mostly baised to one degree or another.

the UN is a joke, the security council is a laughing stock, everyone just out for what they can get away with.

for a fact if he was selling to rebels we supported in the west, no one would give a shit.

He stepped on the toes of the US and they just wiped him off, nothing more nothing less, the Russian reaction was strange, but who knows whats behind that.

I watched the Rwanda killings on TV like the rest of the world, I gave it the 5 minutes of thought that the BBC gave it air time.

As far as I can see, he sold guns to America's enemies, (or was just about to...) so that's why he is where he is now.

And all the rest is just so much bollocks.

Are you saying the carnage Bout enabled in Africa was OK? 100,000s of people have died there.

No Pelham it was based on double standards that we see today as a general point, not that fact that seeing this double standard means its ok for anyone. Why do you post a reaction that completely exaggerates what someone has said, and put assumptions to people at the same time? Did he actually post ... "The carnage in africa is ok?" ....?

Common sense should tell you that its a given that its not ok, even in a debate around the matter.

If you actually check out the definition of "Terrorism" its a loose term when it comes to the fine line of what this example opens up, which can be adapted to things even the government's have dont over the years, so I really dont think anyone gets off scott free in this world, the moral high ground once its opened up is flimsy all things considered, there is an elephant in this room as a subject for sure.

And no, when examples are needed to be used, this chap wont be out anytime soon unless something amazing shows up that would help, but I doubt it.

And all the rest is just so much bollocks.

Take it as you find it I suppose :p:)

Edited by mrcash2009

Common sense should tell you that its a given that its not ok, even in a debate around the matter.

I'm happy we agree that Bouts criminal behaviour over the past decades is abhorrent and I hope people will remember the sum of his activities not just the FARC entrapment.

If you actually check out the definition of "Terrorism" its a loose term when it comes to the fine line of what this example opens up, which can be adapted to things even the government's have dont over the years, so I really dont think anyone gets off scott free in this world, the moral high ground once its opened up is flimsy all things considered, there is an elephant in this room as a subject for sure.

Also happy you, me and Hugo Chavez agree that FARC is a terrorist organisation. People that sell weapons to terrorists for personal profit (bout had no cause or ideology apart from money, did he?) are the worst kind of pond scum I can think of.

Edited by PELHAM

People that sell weapons to terrorists for personal profit (bout had no cause or ideology apart from money, did he?) are the worst kind of pond scum I can think of.

So who are the persons that supplied Bin Laden with weapons and trained him and his people?;) BTW, considering some guys terrorists is mostly political decision. It widely depends of goals and enemies of this guys.

This carnage would happen anyway, with or without Bout's help. Not the guns kill people, but people themselves do. And they would just find some other weapons and some other dealer who will supply them. If you don't know, traditional weapons as knives and machetes are still widely used in Africa during their traditional games like 'who will cut more hands and legs of the enemies'. Or you think Bout by himself forced those Africans kill each other?;)

Edited by Spooky Lynx

Spooky Lynx's comment wins :) don't forget that biggest arms exporters are Russia, US, China and Israel :) and these "shady" people like Viktor are there just to make sure the governments don't get caught with their hands in a cookie jar. I remember Israelis selling arms in my country, they even have a conference for "invite only" people, I even attended a few ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

Frankly speaking, I don't understand, why the death of people from smuggled arms is more tragical than death because of alcohol or tobacco, or badly manufactured cars (Russian specific).