Sign in to follow this  
ru_disa

Auto Hover question - is it realistic?

Hello,

I've read in other posts that the auto hover function actually exists in some RL helicopters. I'm trying to get the most realistic experience possible from TOH (I like the challenge). So, my question is: should I use auto hover at all? Are there choppers in-game that have auto hover in real life?

I know nothing about helicopters, so any help is very much appreciated!

Autohover is NOT realistic

If you're talking about the way they've implemented autohover in TOH, then I can't argue with you as I don't have the game, but if it's the same as Arma II then yes, it's not realistic. On the other hand, auto hover is a feature of at least Ka-50 and the Apache, and a few other advanced helicopters.

Of course there are limitations. In DCS, which is considered the most realistic simulation of a helicopter, you have to be travelling up to 10-20 kph to engage the autohover system. It won't magicaly bring you to a halt to the position you engaged it, like what pretty much happens to Arma 2,

Edited by Remon

Autohover is NOT realistic

In real world some helicopters actualy have this "feature". If they are equiped with doppler radar and stability agumentation systems their pilots can engage automated hover in speeds near hover (less than aprox 40kph). I.e. Ka-50, Mi-24, AW101.

In real world some helicopters actualy have this "feature". .

Yes, I Know that :)

But for the Mi-24 I didn't know. What version has this feature. All versions?

And the Autohover in RL has some limitions/features specific for each Heli, who are not implement.

For the civil heli, i don't know , but i doubt it.

The question is : do all heli simulate in TOH have the autohover feature in RL ?

I think perhaps you're throwing that word 'simulate' around a little freely.

I think IRL 'light helicopters' typically don't have autopilots.

But for the Mi-24 I didn't know. What version has this feature. All versions?

Yes they have.

The question is : do all heli simulate in TOH have the autohover feature in RL ?

The light (MD-500) don't have.

And the Autohover in RL has some limitions/features specific for each Heli, who are not implement.

Flight manual Mi-24 said - turn on autohover during hover at 5-10m . Autohover working properly if helicopter don't change his position more than 15m from output position during 1 min

and altitude stabilization don't change +/_ 4 m. But pilots usually don't use autohover.

Edited by cygan

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. The auto-hover in game is not part of any attempt at simulation, it is merely a player aid (as it is in Arma). All the helicopters have it.

Personally I don't use it, but I do find it useful in MP when real life interrupts me and I can't pause the game!

@cygan

Many thx for your precise answer

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. The auto-hover in game is not part of any attempt at simulation, it is merely a player aid (as it is in Arma). All the helicopters have it.

But it's not Arma, it's TOH, design to be more acurate for the Flying aspect :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I won't use autohover and I'll try to improve on my piloting the hard way. I have more questions now, but I'm going to open new threads as theyr'e kind of OT here...

Thanks for the feedback guys! I won't use autohover and I'll try to improve on my piloting the hard way. I have more questions now, but I'm going to open new threads as theyr'e kind of OT here...

Flying with "auto hover" off has greatly increased my flying skills.

Good Luck!

Ive tried to land without Auto hover and well, i just cant seem to keep her steady. I will practise landing without auto hover in wide open spaces. Damn but it is hard. Is it really so hard in real life?

In real life it's much easier.. But on PC most of us don't have the necessary "tool" to really enjoy the game. By tool I mean HOTAS and rudder setup.. And, of course, a Headtracking system.

Read more here.

The most important "tool" which we don't have in sim is our body. We can't feel whats going on with helicopter. That and real 180 FOV against 90 FOV in game are the main drawbacks and that's why BIS implemented autohover and allows to use it in expert difficulty. But you can of course fly well without it. There are many videos proving it, hon0 has a bunch of them. Here's my

I don't use autohover and I don't have HOTAS setup. So as you can see it's possible without sophisticated hardware. Practise, practise, practise... that's all what you need.

So, ive tried landing without Auto-hover and well, i get close to the ground with low speed allmost going down vertically but then she starts to go backwards faster and fast every time. It's soooo frustrating. I dont know how you guys do it! I mean i am using the Logitech 3dPro joystick which makes things lot easier than a mouse and keyboard.

Hey BeePee, some really mad flying skills man... WOW. You say you dont use HOTAS setup but you do have TrackIR? WHat is your setup for this game?

How is it possible to keep your helicopter so steady without Auto Hover? Do you counter every move with small incriments or fast big movements?

Thx (if my signature shows up in this post, i hope you dont mind, i used your helicopter idea. i thinks its a superb idea)

Hey BeePee, some really mad flying skills man... WOW. You say you dont use HOTAS setup but you do have TrackIR? WHat is your setup for this game?

How is it possible to keep your helicopter so steady without Auto Hover? Do you counter every move with small incriments or fast big movements?

Thx (if my signature shows up in this post, i hope you dont mind, i used your helicopter idea. i thinks its a superb idea)

Hey Wurnman,

No, I don't have HOTAS. I have only Saitek AV8R-01 stick. It is dual throttle joystick with twist stick, but I use second throttle for pedals. I've also removed centering spring completely so I don't need to use trim and flying doesn't tire my hand. I don't have TrackIR it's to expensive for me. I've made Freetrack.

About steadiness... well as I said before, all you need is practice. You need to set your controllers in such way that really small stick movement makes heli respond. So deadzone to 0 and slightly increase sensitivity. If you would sit next to me you almost wouldn't notice that I'm moving my stick during flight. Remember: deadzone to zero! and practise, practise, practise.

Thx BeePee, i will fiddle with my settings and practise for sure. Very nice flying still. I hear what you saying about TrackIR being expensive. What is this Freetrack? Is there anyway i can use my joystick or the hat switch on the joystick to view? ive tried every option setting it up but nothing works. i have hte Logitech 3d pro extreme.

I'm not sure if putting links here is alowed... google freetrack and it will show you right site. Freetrack is basically the same device as TrackIR but its much cheaper. Software is free to download, all you need to do is make a clip as shown on the site. If you need more advice PM me and I'll try to answer all your questions.

Hey BeePee ive done as you suggested and turned all the deadzone levels to 0 and it works. Much better, ive also made my Y/X axis more sensitive but i think now it's a little bit too crazy. I'll give this a few hours of practise and if it still feels out of control and too sensitive i'll put the sliders back to where it was. Thx for the advice, i can now atleast land most times but still sliding around when landing, not a solid put down, more of a grind to halt LOL.

Hey Wurnman. I looked at your stick and I see it have Force FB.. These stick are usualy really bad for precision.. I know what I said. Before I get my T16000m I had a Saitek Cyborg evo force 2 and It really suck for Flying in Take On Helicopter.

So in fact I'm scared you are may be limited by your joystick.