Sign in to follow this  
ryansoper

Why I love ARMA and its community

So me and my clan-mates (101stdivision.net*) have gotten back into ARMA after a brief stint hopping other games (Devil worship I know!) and I was saying to the others over TS about why I loved ARMA and its community.

It's quite simple, It's quite truly friendly!

I have never experienced any bitchiness or nastiness directly, and when I've witnessed it, other community members always rush to defend the person in question, or just laugh the attacker out of the game, for instance last night, my clan was on a warfare server, and there was another clan on the OPFOR side, it generated a friendly bit of banter and there was even a few messages of, "Ahahahah Nice Find" and "Good Game, Play Again?". It's a level of maturity and friendliness which i feel is yet to be matched elsewhere.

And then there is the community innovation and sharing, All these missions and gamemodes, the moderators on here and various other forums, people like Sickboy, who spare their own time to create incredible mods, missions and addons to continually change the game. I could literally sit on the game for hours just playing community made missions.

And then the media that surrounds the game, the reason I bought this game was because I subbed to Richiespeed's channel and watched a load of his videos (Pretty sure he's now on a new Youtube account) and through his videos i found Briggsil, who posted all the videos related to 6th Sense, which was a serious tactical gaming community hosting a mission night every sunday, I joined them, and from there I was hooked.

I'm not sure if 6thSense are still around, but its those guys who I have to thank, they opened me to whole new world of gaming, a world where I was actually half decent (I suck at games like MW2 and BF3 ;) ) and now I go on with my own community, eagerly awaiting the release of ARMA 3 playing Combined Operations and dabbling in a bit of mission creation (I want to get competent enough to provide the community with a Warfare-esqe gamemode).

Anyway, I just thought a community like this, coupled with a game like this required a bit of recognition, because its amazing.

Thanks,

Ryan

*Bit of shameless promotion :), we're recruiting by the way, and operate an open TS for anybody to hop on and join us on.

Edited by RyanSoper

Makes me smile that Im not the only one that found this game thanks to Richiespeeds videos :p

dont ever play on arma 2 free servers, especialy life rp ones, bitching, childish behaviour all the time. Actually thank GOD there is arma 2 free out there, it protects us arma 2 combined owners from them. :D

Yeah, when I first heard about ARMA:Free i though ARMA in general was going F2P. Luckily this was not the case and Bohemia made it a seperate project with no integration whatsoever. Pretty sure If Free players were allowed onto normal servers this post would be a different story!

Great story, heartfelt, welcome to a real community, that stems back since the OFP Demo!

Great sentiment and very true. I discovered OFP in 2002 and have been playing nothing but OFP and Arma ever since. Now that I have a more "modern" system it's like discovering the game all over again. I have tried to get into other games but they just don't have the same feel and immersion that you find in OFP and Arma. I do wish there were more players for regular coop missions but what can you do. My son came over a few weeks ago and watched me play a bit on my new system and he realized the true potential for the game (my old comp was below minimum specs but I still played, low fps and all). He was so impressed he quit playing his other games and bought all he needed to play Arma. I helped him set up SU and got him started and now it is all he plays. The best part is he plays the game with his "old man" and the more he plays and discovers the more he loves it. He tried flying a falcon for the first time in a mission on our server using a mouse and keyboard and shot down 5 planes on his second run at it. He was definitely hooked then.

Great sentiment and very true. I discovered OFP in 2002 and have been playing nothing but OFP and Arma ever since. Now that I have a more "modern" system it's like discovering the game all over again. I have tried to get into other games but they just don't have the same feel and immersion that you find in OFP and Arma. I do wish there were more players for regular coop missions but what can you do. My son came over a few weeks ago and watched me play a bit on my new system and he realized the true potential for the game (my old comp was below minimum specs but I still played, low fps and all). He was so impressed he quit playing his other games and bought all he needed to play Arma. I helped him set up SU and got him started and now it is all he plays. The best part is he plays the game with his "old man" and the more he plays and discovers the more he loves it. He tried flying a falcon for the first time in a mission on our server using a mouse and keyboard and shot down 5 planes on his second run at it. He was definitely hooked then.

hey, i remember back in OFP times, i used to play coop a lot on your [LOL] Majors server, was great fun, good times :)

I'm not much for long in arma community (since last summer). Had old rig as well, and arma 2 was stuttering and looking just awful with low details. With my new rig, i can play it with high/very high setting, also i played on old TFT monitor before.

When i brought me my 25 inch wide screener, and played arma 2 for first time on it, running down the takistan hills, i was stunned how huge the "in game presence" feeling i had. Since then, i'm playing arma 2 most of the time.

Arma is really a game, which needs a very good system, and best to be played on a big monitor (and J.S.R.S sound mod :P), then it catches you for good, and doesn't let you go. :)

hey, i remember back in OFP times, i used to play coop a lot on your [LOL] Majors server, was great fun, good times :)

We are a bunch of clowns (clown faces and all) and play for the fun of it. Your name does not sound familiar, did you go by something else then?

We are a bunch of clowns (clown faces and all) and play for the fun of it. Your name does not sound familiar, did you go by something else then?

I was playing as Alex-X-x, but i wasn't in teamspeak or something, maybe thats why u can't remember me.

Sounds a little familiar, strangely enough I can remember most names of players from the old days when I see them. If you are ever looking for a game we are running 2 ofp servers and 1 arma2 server just filter lol and we should pop up. We always welcome new and even old players. :)

I've played a lot of Games before ArmA, and now only play ArmA. It's really the the most

mature Community. In all the other Gamecommunities, every 5th Forum Post was about somebody

accused someone to be a Cheater, every second word was n00b, ROFL, LOL or pWnage, people tweaked

their systems to be the "ub0rPwn3r", sometimes tuned their Graphics down to a Tetris-Level, just to see more.

That's the Point where Gaming ends and Stupidity begins. Paying 1.600€ Euro for a HighEnd Computer and tune it

down to look like wolf3d.exe. Amazing, isn't it? ^^

On the other Hand we've got the OFP/ArmA Comm, where Rookies can ask simple Questions and get a solid,

well thought and helpful answer. Polite people and Teamwork seem to the normative.

Due to the concept of the Game you get endless hours of Gameplay and Fun for the Price of a Standard Game-Title.

The only game with a similar Price / Value to me was (is) Civilisation IV.

I wish to know how many overall manhours already where spent into this Game beside BISs work. So many of the BIS Comm-Members

are focused on making "their" Game better, sharing any kind Information and Content. Thats a very healty enviroment for a Community.

So one of the key-aspects seem to be, that ArmA isn't a competitive Title. Teamwork goes before Competition. Thats what i probably like most.

Hugh!

fREAk.

Yes, I was looking through the forums properly the other evening, some of the mods and missions on here are insanely well done, and it makes me want to create and contribute something!