Sign in to follow this  
x7Steelers7x

Thinking about buying Arma II: Combined Operations.. is there still a large community

I really would not like to spend $30 on this if there isn't really a good amount of players/ servers left. Is the community still pretty active? Would there be a lot of servers for me to choose from to play on?

There's still a fairly active public community based around certain mission types, and there's a splinter-community that's formed around the Project Reality mod that's got quite good activity going on now

However for the best experience in terms of finding people/missions you want you'd be looking for a clan/group of some kind. There's plenty of em, so I'm sure there'd be one to suit what you're after

There's still a fairly active public community based around certain mission types, and there's a splinter-community that's formed around the Project Reality mod that's got quite good activity going on now

However for the best experience in terms of finding people/missions you want you'd be looking for a clan/group of some kind. There's plenty of em, so I'm sure there'd be one to suit what you're after

We're still talking about Arma right? Not battlefield? What would the point of a project reality mod be if arma is realistic enough?

What would the point of a project reality mod be if arma is realistic enough?

Arma2CO aka Combined Operations, is pretty well simulated, realistic, ect,. as it already is but not entirely all realistic nor all simulated, so the mod only makes it more realistic,

lets say more manual in what you do.

But get the game, the community is massive, with 1000's of mods-gameplay, realism, units, planes, vehicles, tanks, scripts, templates, with 1000's of missions, 100's of mission types ect,.

and a community always up til Dawn and later ;) working on mods, missions and more.

Heres Armaholic, see for yourself what there is:

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

free downloadable content made for the game.

And if you havent seen footage for Arma3, then I'd suggest you make your way over and check out what the next full release

will be like that we all been waiting for for a looong time!

its worth it, BF2, and BF3 doesn't have the capability, nor community, or editing abilities that the Arma series has, theres tons

of servers for the game, and a large community right here on the forums to answer any questions.

the Arma online community is very small in comparison to other mainstream type multiplayer games...but it is also more mature. If you are looking for a fast online fix anytime of day that it suits you then you may be disappointed. It'll take some effort to find a good MP experience. It usually works out best if you already have a friend or 2 willing to join you. Theres usually less than 1,000 players online at a given time...and most active servers are playing 1 of 2 missions so there's not alot of diversity readily available online.

On the other hand, this game is focussed mainly on coop and not so much player vs player so if you like that, and you consider yourself to have a mature personality then you may have good success at finding a small group to join in with. There are tons of addons and missions to download thanks to the very loyal fan base here but finding them all online will not happen for you. 99% of Arma players play either offline and with a small group of friends.

...if you expect BF3 popularity you wont be happy. This is more of a hobby than a game and requires huge amounts of patience and a very steep learning curve through lots of online reading as well as trial and error due to no included documentation. Most documentation that you will be pointed to online is often not user friendly for beginners and at times may have you wondering wtf?

It's the type of game that takes time to grow on you...give it a chance and really learn all it has to offer because it's the only game that has always had a place of its own on my hard drive for the last 11 years now, while other games have come and gone.

So basically...it's coop based with a small but very enthusiastic multiplayer community. Requires alot of time to learn but offers more of a sandbox open ended and dynamic experience better than any other game (and also the largest maps you've ever seen in a game).

Hope to see you out there!

Edited by BigShot

Well I just bought the game yesterday...

When I looked, there were a TON of servers, but not very many players. Im in AUS and I don't think I found any AUS servers with any players... am I missing something?

When did you look at the servers list?

Certain times of the "day" most people will be on versus other times, obviously not many players will be on at 2am.

consider that if the servers are in the USA there is the time zone difference, as if your in

Australia and its daytime for you, then its night time in the USA.

Arma2CO aka Combined Operations, is pretty well simulated, realistic, ect,. as it already is but not entirely all realistic nor all simulated, so the mod only makes it more realistic,

lets say more manual in what you do.

But get the game, the community is massive, with 1000's of mods-gameplay, realism, units, planes, vehicles, tanks, scripts, templates, with 1000's of missions, 100's of mission types ect,.

and a community always up til Dawn and later ;) working on mods, missions and more.

Heres Armaholic, see for yourself what there is:

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

free downloadable content made for the game.

And if you havent seen footage for Arma3, then I'd suggest you make your way over and check out what the next full release

will be like that we all been waiting for for a looong time!

its worth it, BF2, and BF3 doesn't have the capability, nor community, or editing abilities that the Arma series has, theres tons

of servers for the game, and a large community right here on the forums to answer any questions.

Haha oh yes I've checked out Arma 3 and I REALLLLLY want that game! But for now it seems that I should get Arma 2: CO to hold me off until Q4 of 2012 D:

If you like Oz forces the check-out the Australia at War mod.

IIRC it is ACE compatible and generally considered to be pretty good.

There's also a clan that seems heavily involved in the development of the mod.

Finally most clans now use the ACRE mod.

We (AAF) dont make the mod that would be http://www.xtremedefenceforce.com/.

Pretty Much every Australian Clan hangs out on the AUS ARMA TS3 server (202.62.137.195) and most clans let new players play with them. There are also a few public games that get organised by AUS ARMA. Feel free to jump over and say hello!

If you like coop missions (mostly made by our own clan) you are welcome to come join us on [LOL] New Majors. We play vet mode and don't freak out over high pings. Our server is based in the UK but we have regular players from all over the world, even a regular from your neck of the woods. We do have mods but all required ones can be set up easy with Six Updater. If interested you can get all the info you need on our website www.nakedsquid.com.