Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Hinds FM

Helicopters pilots on these forums were saying that it takes very little control input at all to cause them to respond. But, if you're finding that the helicopters are too sensitive to input, you might try decreasing your joystick sensitivity. I believe the menu is under controls, then at the bottom, click on controllers, then something else, you can make the joystick less sensitive, which push the hard inputs out to the edges of the joystick's range of motion, and spread out the small inputs.

My inbox is fill and won't be emptied. If your PM is regarding requests to use my work, unfortunately I choose not to grant such permission. My work is for use with CWR2 only.

Quote Originally Posted by sportpilot View Post
    ".... the most incredible feeling of actually flying of all Helo Sims I have ever tried.
    You really should try DCS:Black Shark.
    R22 pilot
    SYSSpecs: IntelC2Q9650|AsusP5QSE|4GB RAM|ZOTAC GX570|Win7 64bit|TrackIR5|TM HOTAS Warthog (04671)/Saitek Pro Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by sportpilot View Post
    The weapons Systems are o.k.
    ??
    What weapons systems ?
    And no, they are not ok at all, they are arcadish and we have no precision for shooting with gun, rockets, bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye[GER] View Post
    You really should try DCS:Black Shark.
    I actually did try Black Shark right from the get go and I love it - just like the A10C - also a great Sim. I am also planing to upgrade to the latest version of the Balckshark. But I always thought that the Heli feels almost too easy, too smooth to fly. Probably also due to the Koax Setup. But it flies like a piece of rock stable smooth and great!! Exactly what you would expect from a machine this size... Altough... I always thought the Trick about the Ka-50 is the System Depth and not so much the Flightmodel... What do the Ka-50 Experts say? The AAA Apache for instance flies almost by itself, which is great fun... but it lacks Vortex Ring state and other aerodynamic effects like Rotor Stall in Overspeed and its also very hard to roll. Nevertheless a great and fun to fly chopper with nice graphics. This is what I mean guys. I have a lot of experience with Sim Helos. I fly X-plane since V7 and the Helis there. Which is o.k. a little to prominent effects from Hover to forward flight but o.k. Autorotation works and it feels fine. I fly MSFS since FS 2000 and their Helis. I believe they are mostly crap the Dodosim Jetranger is o.k. but apart from this, there isnt much flyable material. I own just about every Game/Sim that deals with Aviation in some way. And I have been flying for real since `97. And now I have come to the point where I just dont buy the reality of the Sim (in this case the Hind) it just doesnt seem to fit in with all my prvious experience and what I expect. I have also of course been trying to change the Joystick settings and changed curves back and forth. BUT I was wondering if there is a specific! recommendation for specific! Hardware. The generall possibility to change the respond curve is understood in every sim, there is nearly no Sim without this option.
    I tried the Hind again yesterday and managed to pinpoint my main area of concern. It seems way too yaw friendly. I mean you barely touch the pedals (with a linear curve and the Saitek Pedals) and the thing vioilently yaws out of control if you are not careful...for my feeling way too fast and way too quick this is not what I would expect from such a big and Heayv Bird. There has got to be some sort of mass inertia effect. It feels too light. My RC Helicpter reacts like this, o.k. fine but a several Tons heavy Gunship???? I still just dont buy it...

I partly agree with sportspilot here. To me the lack of "inertia" (or rather the subjective feeling thereof) doesn't feel quite right, too.

I spent endless hours tweaking my controllers and now i'm still only halfway happy by mapping my available controller range to about 50% of the game's rudder input range (using PPJoy and GlovePIE). That seems to give me the needed amount of precision and tolerance but it still feels way too jumpy especially in hover and slow flight, almost like an RC chopper... To compensate for the smaller range i'm using fairly frequent manual trim in order to re-center my axis as I go. Not ideal but it's the best I could do.

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what is least known." - Michel de Montaigne

Hi. I'm new on this forum but not new in real aviation and simflying.
    Like i wrote in my first post i'm working and flying on real hinds in Polnish Army Aviation since 2002.
    Also i'm simflyer since 2000 year and helos is my favor so i can say that i'm one of YOU.
    Here what i want to say.
    "The maneuverability and agility of NATO attack helicopters, particularly at low speed, has already been discussed. The hind does not compare in this flight regime, being unstable and difficult to fly in the hover and slow to accellerate away from it."
    Yes and No. Yes hind is born to attack at high speed but it is no true that hind is unstable and difficult during hover. Ofcourse hind is not toy for rookie pilots but hovering not driving pilots to sweat.
    Hind have SAS. Sometime pilot during hover can even relase hand from stick for few seconds and after that hind slowly change his current position . Of course if we have not strong wind and pilot use central trim correctly. Even if SAS will turn off (perform during test flights after big maintance) good pilot shouldn't have a problem to keep stable hover . It's not easy but possible. Hind have autohover but as far i can remember pilots don't use this option.
    I have also read that it can suffer from wing stalls which also seems to happen in the sim, but I'm not sure if that is something intentional or not.
    Wings? Meaby you want to say rotor blades?
    Hind feel good at high speeds ~250km/h . At max 320km/h vibrations is a little be uncomfortable. Yes the true is MI-24 is not design for sneaky close to target.
    He is just to heavy. To heavy to rapid manouvers during hover and low speeds over battlefield. But if you want to make a nice airshow over airfield ...well it's not a Bo-105 or Apache
    but skill pilot is able to perform show that you will not forget.
    In overall, hind is quite sensitive in controls but "lazy like cow" makeing maouvers. It's 11 tons , you cant cheat a physics . Try a DCS Ka-50 it's similar in controls.
    And last word about rudder . Please do something with this because it's not as in real. I wrote here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ue-induced-yaw about "how it works".

Quote Originally Posted by cygan View Post
    Yes and No. Yes hind is born to attack at high speed but it is no true that hind is unstable and difficult during hover. Ofcourse hind is not toy for rookie pilots but hovering not driving pilots to sweat.
    Hind have SAS. Sometime pilot during hover can even relase hand from stick for few seconds and after that hind slowly change his current position . Of course if we have not strong wind and pilot use central trim correctly. Even if SAS will turn off (perform during test flights after big maintance) good pilot shouldn't have a problem to keep stable hover . It's not easy but possible. Hind have autohover but as far i can remember pilots don't use this option.
    I'm sure that the author is talking comparatively to western helicopters. Skilled people can do very difficult things. I find the hind in the sim at least to be more difficult to hover than the western helicopters. It seems twitchy yet sluggish for those twithes to mean anything- like it's easy to over control but there is quite a delay before your changes in flight attitude amount to much, giving the hind a feeling of being very vague in the hover.

If you have some experience flying the hind perhaps you would like to put your appraisal next to the other professional hind pilots that have rated the sim's accuracy? We'd be all ears.

Wings? Meaby you want to say rotor blades?
    Hind feel good at high speeds ~250km/h . At max 320km/h vibrations is a little be uncomfortable. Yes the true is MI-24 is not design for sneaky close to target.
    He is just to heavy. To heavy to rapid manouvers during hover and low speeds over battlefield. But if you want to make a nice airshow over airfield ...well it's not a Bo-105 or Apache
    but skill pilot is able to perform show that you will not forget.
    No, I meant to say the wings. I have read that in steep turns the inside wing can stall leading to a tendency roll into the stalled wing. In the sim I was conducting a left hand turn at about 250km/h and I lifted the collective to see what affect that had on the turning performance and it departed from controlled flight for a second and snapped into a 90 degree roll into the turn, and then was all over the place while I regained controlled flight.
    Last edited by Max Power; Apr 6 2012 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    In the sim I was conducting a left hand turn at about 250km/h
    In Hinds, and ToH since 1.04, I am concerned that speeds >220km/h simply cannot be gained using keyboard/mouse, especially over flat terrain. At least for me. Can anyone confirm this? Probably nobody but me flies with kb/mouse only.

Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong....

In 1.01-1.03, collective could be cranked to max to consistently allow red/yellow zone danger speeds over flat terrain, which are required to make gold times on time trials. This is no longer possible with RTD FMs, as high collective will (correctly) produce massive yaw, but even if you compensate for the yaw, high speeds are still not possible.

But hey, I finished the Patrol challenge yesterday on expert, and even landed without using autohover. I definitely feel like I accomplished something!

No, I meant to say the wings. I have read that in steep turns the inside wing can stall leading to a tendency roll into the stalled wing.
    Before i wrote this post i talk with my friend who was very experience hind pilot (2000h) for sure. I ask him about "wing stall". During more than 20 years of traningflights , test flights even display flight on airshows he don't experience this kind of occurrence. Wings on hind start "working" from 70km/h and it's helpfull for entire capacity (it's about ~25%) .
    In the sim I was conducting a left hand turn at about 250km/h and I lifted the collective to see what affect that had on the turning performance and it departed from controlled flight for a second and snapped into a 90 degree roll into the turn, and then was all over the place while I regained controlled flight.
    For now i don't have chance to do the same test but on the previous friday during flights (in real) we perform training attack to air targets (training target was other hind) and we perform i think similar maneuver as yours.
    For exp. diving from 8 o'clock going to 7 and break to left turn up (angle bank ~ 30 to 40 degrees) and nothing happend. The same on right.
    I'm sure that the author is talking comparatively to western helicopters. Skilled people can do very difficult things.
    Meaby we don't understand together. I don't want to say that hind is easy like western helos. I mean that hind is not difficult as you think
    I find the hind in the sim at least to be more difficult to hover than the western helicopters.
    But remember it's only sim.
    If you have some experience flying the hind perhaps you would like to put your appraisal next to the other professional hind pilots that have rated the sim's accuracy? We'd be all ears.
    Let's make it clear .I'm flying on Mi-24 as crew chief not a pilot. I had occasions to take control but 3 or 4 times . But it's old times. I have my own knowlage about mi-24 and possibility to ask pilots about some aspects of FM real hind. Fly simulation is my hobby so i take a conversation with a pleasure on this forum especially about hind.

Before i wrote this post i talk with my friend who was very experience hind pilot (2000h) for sure. I ask him about "wing stall". During more than 20 years of traningflights , test flights even display flight on airshows he don't experience this kind of occurrence. Wings on hind start "working" from 70km/h and it's helpfull for entire capacity (it's about ~25%) .
    That I heard also.

For now i don't have chance to do the same test but on the previous friday during flights (in real) we perform training attack to air targets (training target was other hind) and we perform i think similar maneuver as yours.
    For exp. diving from 8 o'clock going to 7 and break to left turn up (angle bank ~ 30 to 40 degrees) and nothing happend. The same on right.
    I'm not sure what conditions exactly are supposed to make this happen. I would imagine high slip, high bank conditions where the fuselage is occluding the inside wing.

Meaby we don't understand together. I don't want to say that hind is easy like western helos. I mean that hind is not difficult as you think
    I don't really think anything. I don't know how western helos are to fly, nor do I know hinds. I noticed the hind in the sim is a little unstable and that seems to coincide with what that book was saying.

But remember it's only sim.

Let's make it clear .I'm flying on Mi-24 as crew chief not a pilot. I had occasions to take control but 3 or 4 times . But it's old times. I have my own knowlage about mi-24 and possibility to ask pilots about some aspects of FM real hind. Fly simulation is my hobby so i take a conversation with a pleasure on this forum especially about hind.
    Well you have more experience than me It's good to have people like you around.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast