Sign in to follow this  
mcnools

Terrain edges problem (satout-texture showing where satmap should still show)

Well, I had this problem when making hazar-kot aswell, but bypassed it by simply editing the satmap removing a lot of the edges and replacing it with the satout-texture.

Anyway, to explain the problem better, ingame (and in buldozer) the satmap isn't showing at the southern and eastern edges of the map, I guess pictures will explain better than I will:

(they're taken at the exact same spot and same time, just opened the map).

satmapproblem.jpg

As you can see the satmap-texture starts appearing way too far north (I've marked the approximate position it appears with black dots).

Any idea what causes this? As you can see the satmap shows up fine on the ingame map (and in visitor 3), just not in the actual game and buldozer.

My sat_lco.png is 5120x5120 pixels if that helps. (and the terrain size is 5120x5120 metres)

Edited by McNools

those borders have always been troublesome... didn't you notice before that BIS maps always handle them under water? it's an engine issue sadly...

saludetes!

Ah! okay then, I'll guess I'll just do what I did for Hazar-Kot here aswell. :) thanks mate!

Ah! okay then, I'll guess I'll just do what I did for Hazar-Kot here aswell. :) thanks mate!

plz tell me your secret:)

I never really bothered to check it, but I always wondered whether it is the engine related bug or Visitor specific. My hypothesis (which probably is false, because if it were such a simple reason someone would already notice it) is that it could be the case that the messy textures on the S and E edges are there because of some bug with V3 cutting big satellite textures and masks into tiles (to the Layers folder). If yes, it could probably be prevented by cutting the the sat and mask textures manually and replacing corresponding tiles from S and E.

(As a matter of fact I just looked into some of the tiles created by V3 and it appears that every tile has some border parts that overlap with the neighboring tiles - some kind of transitional zone, but the zone on the bottom and right edges of the map is much wider than any other of the buffers). Has anybody looked into it already?

@lecholas: interesting idea, never thought of replacing these border mosaics, would you mind to perform a test and tell everyone if it works... some time ago I made a test with clutter just to discover it works only when infinite terrain is disabled... saludeinzzz!!!!

If no one else beats me to it I'll look into it when I have some time. The main problem here will be to determine how to manually create the messed up tiles (both for sat and mask).