"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."
Congratulations on your first release
There are a few things that could use improvement (besides what you mentioned yourself):
- Textures are currently in jpg format, this is heavy on the engine, paa gives much better for performance especially if you have many objects on the beach;
- green.jpg is a simple texture of green with some noise added, a 128x128 size texture would have been enough, you wouldn't notice the difference;
- Some models have more detail than they need, like the 75mm.p3d that has a pole that consists of 6 sections of 18 polygons each when all you need are 2 sections of about 12 polygons each. You can have that much detail, but not without additional resolution lods;
- You should define the sharp and smooth edges (which makes the detail of a model show much better);
- Geometry and Fire Geometry lods are often too detailed which is unnecessary and sometimes the reason they don't work;
- In what program did you make these models? (when looking at the models to see what could be improved, I got some error messages and deformed mesh that are very uncommon with O2 made models, but very common with models imported from other programs).
It might seem like a long list, but it's actually not bad for a first release
I can fix one model so you can see what and how to do things on the others if you want.
Last edited by JdB; Apr 1 2012 at 16:34.
Creating ArmA:CWA addons at a snail's pace and newsposter @ OFPr.info.
Well i used 3ds max 2009.... and i would appreciate your help!
can you fix 75mm.p3d? And in future i will use paa and pac textures,thanks for your feedback...
-and try to open it with Gatebuilder(i use that one because i can immediately see textures)
-later on i will figure out how does everything work and my models will be looking better and wont hit performance as much!
I left the 0.000 resolution lod mostly untouched, making models look good with as least polys as possible is something you can't really teach someone. I added a resolution lod and redid the other lods (simplified them a lot). Removed some faces (ones that won't be seen ingame). You applied textures from just one viewport (one side), I textured parts separately so the textures don't stretch as much. There were also some double faces on the front of the shell, those were the ones causing the errors in O2. Also the primer inside the shell itself was too much detail, you can easily texture that (just add a small black circle on the texture or something) and save loads of polygons.
Thanks for converting jpeg to paa! I'll use your advices in future...