Sign in to follow this  
cleggy

British Ridgback Protected Patrol Vehicle

Well, I think I'm getting away with it so far....appreciate you all trying it.

Thanks to Old Bear and Foxhound for the mirrors (not that I'm complaining Fox, but I don't think it should be under Heavy Armor - it's only little!)

Any chance you could spend time on Mastiff?

Being the sensitive artiste that I am, the thought of more bar armour at this stage makes me want to go and lie down.:butbut:

Glowbal: Cheers, first time I've seen one of my addons being used by someone other than me ... kinda brings a lump to the throat.

Absolutely amazing vehicle, good job! It would be great if you could make a Mastiff to go with it :)

That's just of a video of some 16AA guys testing the Ridgebacks' resistance against different weaponry. (It handles most stuff like a Boss)

Edited by Bravo93

Bravo93, your video link is broken to me.

Edit: it's working now, thanks

Edited by Papanowel

Need to get rid of the feature=player_embedded&

or just get rid of all of it apart from the video ID and youtube tag it

like so

BhgWSBKzgB0

I feel like I've just watched one of my kids being mugged by a bunch of yobs!:butbut:

In all seriousness this is just the sort of testing it needs; my config armour values are very much cut n' paste n' guesswork.

One thing I did aim for was to make sure the opfor infantry weren't afraid to fire at it .. nothing worse than having them lie there in plain sight waiting to be shot.

I might have it working a bit too well, as they appear all to willing to open up and give away their position.

That could be a plus point tho'.:)

I've also cheated a bit to increase survivabilty of passengers and crew, so would be interested to know how that works.

Strikes me the wheels are the achilles heel of such a vehicle so mobility kills would be a major problem?

im getting the

include file extended_eventhandlers script_macros_common.hpp not found

when i start the game as soon as turn the mod of all is back to normal?

And So It Begins...

I take it you are running with CBA pressytcn?

Maybe I haven't included a CBA dependency in my config I should have...

Going to need some help on this!

i run it with cba for combined ops

also noticed a few differences between the six updater download and the website download

in the web version the

blx_ridgeback.pbo.blx.bisign files was placed in keys folder i moved them to addons

in the six version the blx_ridgeback.pbo.blx.bisign files was in the addons folder but it still woulden run

i'll try and reinstall cba and see if it works an then run a process userconfigs it sometimes does the job i'll get back with the resoult

Thanks for the help.

I do seem to have messed up the folder structure a bit!

Also not sure the keys are correct as I've used my original private key and public key from version 1.

it's another mod interfering with it wich one i do not know yet i gues some mods just dont like eachother had a problem with the super tomcat too i't woukldent show up untill a deactivated a whole bunch of mods so i'ts a mod causing it if i find out wich one i'll let you know and know to take this baby for a ride:-D

I'll be very interested in your investigation. I just hope the Ridgback is worth all the effort....

I'll be very interested in your investigation. I just hope the Ridgback is worth all the effort....

We're too busy having a sneaky wank in the back-room over it to post about it, don't worry! Not to detract from your former work -but the Bulldog as a vehicle in real life was just a bit shite, so any Arma 2 implementation of it wasn't so likely to be picked up as widely. The Ridgback is what we -and I can imagine quite a few other groups - have been waiting for, for quite a while -that there are so many people asking for Mastiffs as well is proof as to how useful this class of vehicle is and how underrepresented they are in Arma 2

One of the serving/former serving VCB bods could probably chime in better than I can, but generally wheeled protected patrol vehicles are not suited to conventional warfare -the reason they're effective for counter insurgency/asymmetric warfare is the enemy that's had a go at you knows that once they've blown up that IED or fired that RPG that you're gonna be mighty pissed off and calling up your mates in the quick reaction force/apache/tank, so it's not in their interest to push the fight. So you didn't kill the infidels today, no biggie, go back to farming. British soldiers sit in a field next to mangled car for five or six hours while the baddies decide whether to ambush you or lay IEDs on the return route

Edited by DaveP

Dave, hope I'm not coming across as a whinger - "no one's using my addons, boo hoo hoo"!

I like to think that there is someone out there clunking around in the Bulldog and having a laugh - hope that's not to vain?

Can't help working on stuff that's a bit shit in real life - must be a flaw in my character...

Obviously the Ridgback was a mistake on my part.:)

I would love to see a woodland textured Ridgeback or even better a medevac Ridgeback.

I would love to see a woodland textured Ridgeback or even better a medevac Ridgeback.

I second this, if you have the time of course! :)

I'm very impressed with this mod just as I am with your Bulldog, they compliment each other quite well I'd say. I played around with it last night, at one point in a mission one of your Ridgebacks came up over a small hill and took some kind of enemy AT round to the front, destroying both tires. The crew hopped out pretty quickly, (all seemed to be uninjured from what I could tell) and returned fire. I don't know if you intended to do so or it just happened because of the vehicles enormous size, but the way it sat disabled in a steep forward tilt right into the ground caught my eye and seemed to look more realistic and believable than any other damaged vehicle ever in game. I wish I had thought to take a screen shot of it to be honest, I was very impressed. You have done a great job, I'm looking forward to more of your work!

My only suggestion, the textures look great don't get me wrong, the only thing I might change is the 'cleanliness' of the truck, maybe make it a little dirtier around the edges to give it a more used look. That's just me though. Thanks for your hard work!

I know the Ridgeback is heavy with the armor and cage it has, but it seems to be pretty slow when offroad. Like we're talking no faster than 18 and under 7 when trying to turn. Are they really affected by terrain that drastically in real life?

I echo the call for woodland (hnng) and probably dirtier looks (at least a bit of mud near the wheels I reckon). Otherwise I think I can speak for 16aa when I say we found it to work flawlessly. Definitely a high standard addon.

The current mobility kills are smashing (no pun etc) good fun as regards survivability. I like the little jolts of the camera when you fire the MG tower -- you could possibly add a trifle more to this, if you were to please me ;)

Some may have pointed it out, but the cages do not seem to defeat RPG-7 primitive AT warheads very well. This could potentially help the addon massively. Otherwise I really like the degree of survivability -- you just have to get out ASAP.

Easily one of the first vehicles we need to port to A3.

on the topic of armour cages..would using attach to work? you attach the armour cage and when the RPG hits it it would be destroyed leaving the vehicle exposed

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I'd just like to reply to some of the points (in no particular order), but first please understand that I'm no config guru...

no faster than 18 and under 7 when trying to turn. Are they really affected by terrain that drastically in real life?

To stop it behaving like a Dune Buggy and taking to the air every time it crested a ridge I've adjusted the Terrain Coefficient which makes it stick to the ground more. The side effect of this is that on certain surfaces (like the slightly rocky bits on the Desert Island) it slows to a crawl.

It's a compromise. (blame Slatts, he suggested it):D

the cages do not seem to defeat RPG-7 primitive AT warheads very well.

The cage is purely cosmetic at the moment - needs more thought - thats why your input is so valuable...

on the topic of armour cages..would using attach to work?

The cage is a proxy on this model. The original idea was to get it to switch to the damaged proxy model when the 50% damage textures kicked in.

Couldn't work out how to sync it so gave up for now.:p

change the 'cleanliness' of the truck.

yep, on the todo list!

a woodland textured Ridgeback or even better a medevac Ridgeback.

Again, on the cards. Had hoped it would be a matter of some simple hiddentexture swapping

but the use of proxies for the cage means a separate model I think.

Hmmm, I think I'm done. Thanks for reading.:)

To stop it behaving like a Dune Buggy and taking to the air every time it crested a ridge I've adjusted the Terrain Coefficient which makes it stick to the ground more. The side effect of this is that on certain surfaces (like the slightly rocky bits on the Desert Island) it slows to a crawl.

It's a compromise. (blame Slatts, he suggested it):D

No need to blame anyone! Sounds like a fair trade off and I probably would have done the same. It is actually a pretty heavy vehicle anyways, so it'd look silly doing jumps over small hills. We'll just have to plan on staying to roads as much as possible (but that's fairly realistic - you don't typically run your convoy or trucks off road too much).

maybe i should add a disclaimer under my suggestions from now on :D

Here are some screenies of a woodland version of the Ridgback I'm working on for the next release.

A plain green vehicle is blooming hard to make intersting!

action3.jpg

action2.jpg

I'm also tinkering away fixing bits that were missing from the initial release.

Anything to stop thinking about doing a Mastiff!

Just a Random one to add a bit of difference to the plain green how about the old NI cofidential hotline number on the side to change it up a bit maybe even with out the RPG caging?

But no, smashing addon mate really enjoying flying about on sangin MSO in her.

Edited by rhaggan

Just a Random one to add a bit of difference to the plain green how about the old NI cofidential hotline number on the side to change it up a bit maybe even with out the RPG caging?

But no, smashing addon mate really enjoying flying about on sangin MSO in her.

Not sure they were used for Op Banner...