Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Arma 3: Multiplayer - is everyone running around in unrealistic super gear aswell ?

Iam playing since Operation Flashpoint was released and every some months Iam always happy to install one of these games to play it.

There were always some issues in multiplayer and I would like to know if there are changes made in Arma 3.

* removing space targeting

* players using unrealistic super gear

* tank hitpoint system change

* weapon weight restriction implemented

In multiplayer we have the issue that every player can get the best gear with no limits. People run around with heavy Mg + a two men Javelin System or heavy RPG systems. This is one major point for players who love to play with vehicles and for those who like realism, people are loosing vehicles a bit too often and fast in this game so far.

In other words, will the weapon weight change what a single soldier can carry so we dont have these unrealistic supersoldier situation and will we see some kind of restrictions so not every GI Joe can kill a vehicle in easy mode ? The worst is the CTI mode, where players can choose such supergear but also use AI groups with unlimited gear types.

Space targeting is another thing what is a big issue in multiplayer, we have such nice landscape, trees and bushes to hide but a single click with the space bar reveals the target without even using any binocs. I hope something changed here besides the too easy tab targeting.

Already the modern weapon systems are that powerfull, just talking about thermal view and whatever but please the people have to do at least some work without just spamming their space bar.

Arma 2 and Arrowhead are great games and I started playing again with it, but I hope that Arma 3 will change something about multiplayer gameplay and not just about graphics and new content in form of a campaign, mission and gear.

Edited by oxmox

17587240.jpg

It is the solution to your problems (warning, might come with new ones)

No its not since almost nobody plays it and we have tons of mods which are not used in multiplayer, the core game needs a change.

*about gear..

Basically i agree with you but..

..although "I" get the pleasure/fun from difficult/brutal/sadomazo/extremely complex settings..this might be 'too much' or 'scary' element for

a new buyer-player,making him go away from ArmA series..and of course THAT B.I. is trying to avoid.(Well they must make profits after all)

As i understand you are not a new member-so you know we have mods/addons to make our lives as hard as we like.

Regards

Off topic a bit but how many BIS Developers are working on Arma 3?

*about gear..

..although "I" get the pleasure/fun from difficult/brutal/sadomazo/extremely complex settings..this might be 'too much' or 'scary' element for

a new buyer-player,making him go away from ArmA series..and of course THAT B.I. is trying to avoid.(Well they must make profits after all)

As i understand you are not a new member-so you know we have mods/addons to make our lives as hard as we like.

Regards

Why would a weight system be a scary feature?

Everybody understands that weight plays a very important role in how much you can pack IRL. I´m sure people would understand it ingame too.

*about gear..

Regards

I have great respect about the community who develops mods, but at the end most of them are not used in multiplayer. This is not the solution. The playerbase is small since years and everyone here did see that mods are played for a while and vanish from the most populated and public servers.

I dont think that certain improvements, will fear new players. The game is known as some kind of war "sim" ( I would rather say its a guerrilla warfare sim currently) and the game attracts a certain playerbase. Its maybe rather the opposite, a new players jumps into a tank get destroyed by a rocket from 1000+ meters and cant see any opponent, thinking he is driving a tank made from paper and the flyboy overhead destroys target after target. I had a time when i totally did give up driving vehicles since a "one men army" is just more powerfull and this is the point where I think the game needs changes. We have so many nice vehicles but you see more people either flying or grabbing their superhero gear and start hunting alone. The game needs balance adjustment and please no space targeting....for what we have binocs, radar and even thermal view. I think teamplay is the answer to better gameplay.

Edited by oxmox

My philosophy: If you keep everything realistic, then everything will balance itself.

The best Example are tanks. AT systems in vanilla Arma are way to powerfull and can be deployed way to easily.

No its not since almost nobody plays it

Erm... You sure about that?

Also, they are working on a weight system according to the Confirmed Features thread. It's worth looking at that before posting any questions.

Yes, running around with M107 (13kg + 1.9kg per mag), Mk17 CCO (4.5kg + 0.7kg per mag) on shoulder, FGM-148 Javelin (18kg) on another shoulder and backpack full of satchels (M183 DCA ±10kg?) + second Jav (12kg) missile (= ±70kg SANS body armour) is quite common - I do it too on some more-leisure servers :) Although that at least explains why a drop of 4ft from a rock can kill you ;-)

Of course I would welcome a weight system on by default. It would IMO stop the lone-wolfing people on public servers and enforce more cooperation. OTOH it might alienate some players. Perhaps if it was tied to Difficulty setting?

Wrt space key targeting, it's not there on Veteran/Expert difficulty. So just play Veteran+ servers. Although I agree it shouldn't be present even on Regular diff.

Another thing is FLIR/TV sights. They are much too clear, noise free and high-res, especially the uncooled ones on rifles. Maybe they will be 4K in the 2034 (Arma3), but certainly not now. I have had the luck to look through few of the large active cooled ones, on modern RCWS like Rafael Samson and police choppers, and they still have a way to go. Not like ingame TWS on rifles with screen resolution and perfect clarity... with no dirt and water droplets on the lens, no noise, super resolution...

You're playing the wrong kind of missions if they let anyone take anything from a weapon crate of holding. :)

No its not since almost nobody plays it and we have tons of mods which are not used in multiplayer, the core game needs a change.

Almost nobody plays it?

I saw people complaining too many people play with ACE (which is another hint to BIS)

You're playing the wrong kind of missions if they let anyone take anything from a weapon crate of holding.

Probably :), I just take what I can get on more populated public pvp servers since most are coop pve server anyway.

It would IMO stop the lone-wolfing people on public servers and enforce more cooperation.

Exactly, the game is based on teamwork but someone who wants to play as a lonewulf always finds a solution. About weight, people will just stuff more gear into their motorbike and still have their one men army fun.

Maybe the armored vehicle drivers should demand a 2nd main gun or double thickness of their armor, since weight is no issue. Fairness for all :bounce3:

I hope some minor tweaks are planned. Just give a bigger part of your game a chance for improved gameplay.

Edited by oxmox

I have great respect about the community who develops mods, but at the end most of them are not used in multiplayer.

What do u say?, in wich kind of MP sessions u don´t use the mods? we in www.ust101.com are playing coop missions, as realistic as we can, with almost 5 gigabytes of mods and if u can view our videos, we use the 80-90% of MODS that we have installed, we play modern warfare, vietnam and WW2 mods, and the realism of the mods is the key of our activities, if the weight of the weapons an the limit to carry them is a problem for you an the others FPS fraggers, the play BF3 CoDuty and MW3, ok is not my kind of game, we SIMULATE with ARMA 2 OA + MODS not PLAY, and to do it that with the most realism possible, can´t imagine how we do it without the tremendous work of the modders ACE guys. I44 guys, VTE guys, and others that not remeber now but all the community knows who they are, and we salute them.

Modders of the world don´t hear that comments about MODs and your work, and continue doing that with ARMA 3 PLEASE.

LONG LIFE TO ARMA SERIES and UST101.

So true, just loading a few must-have mods will forfeit me from 80% of the servers.

Almost nobody plays it?

I saw people complaining too many people play with ACE (which is another hint to BIS)

A good point here, I always though that ACE included in core game would be fantastic. I imagined it could work like with expansions - tick on / tick off or something. Either way, I believe that arma could not have been as popular without ACE. Vanilla is just..its just not quite it.

Public play is non addon play. It will remain this until the game support automated addon download.

Weight system confirmed for ArmA 3. This will prevent players from carrying lots of heavy gear at the same time. Different vests you can wear on your character change your load-bearing capabilities accordingly. A light recon vest for example will not grant you with the same carrying capacity as a heavy assault vest.

Weight system confirmed for ArmA 3. This will prevent players from carrying lots of heavy gear at the same time. Different vests you can wear on your character change your load-bearing capabilities accordingly. A light recon vest for example will not grant you with the same carrying capacity as a heavy assault vest.

This is one of the features that seem to have been inspired by ACE, and also a feature I personally am most interested in.

Currently (in Arma2), having more and heavier weapons basically has no drawbacks, essentially meaning the more stuff you lug around with you, the more "powerful" you are. I'm hoping that the weight system in Arma3 will bring a little more "balance" and variety into the gameplay, in the sense that packing smaller weapons and less/lighter equipment will have its own advantages. Faster running speed and longer sprints due to reduced fatigue, increased agility with lighter weapons (advantage in CQB), faster stance changes etc. Also some other related effects, like not being able to roll if you have a large backpack and/or launcher on your back.

Hopefully if ACE3 happens, they will make accurate equipment for the Iranians instead of just giving them generic opfor weapons.

That I wish for whether it's through ACE3 of just some mod. And I seriously think they'd look more badass with KH-2002's or whatever the 2035 variant is.

Currently (in Arma2), having more and heavier weapons basically has no drawbacks, essentially meaning the more stuff you lug around with you, the more "powerful" you are. I'm hoping that the weight system in Arma3 will bring a little more "balance" and variety into the gameplay, in the sense that packing smaller weapons and less/lighter equipment will have its own advantages. Faster running speed and longer sprints due to reduced fatigue, increased agility with lighter weapons (advantage in CQB), faster stance changes etc. Also some other related effects, like not being able to roll if you have a large backpack and/or launcher on your back.

^Pretty much this. I don't mind heavy hitters carrying a ton of equipment, as long as it at the same time give them weaknesses. Maybe a tad slower on movement, to emphasize vehicle use for such typical users. And of course faster stamina deployment and slower stamina recovery (unless standing absolutely still). I realize there are "needs" for different playing styles, so I don't think the realism factor should be too high either - that is for ACE3 to adjust. But still it should feel kinda annoying hauling along "too much" equipment. Typical two man operations should feel a lot smoother when performed by two units, but if operated by one it shouldn't feel impossible. Maybe that would allow slightly less vehicles in mainstream missions, in order to be able to start out as lonewolf?

Maybe the alpha would let us tweak the values and allow us to find some kind of middle ground? Then again, that approach was tested with recoil, which combined with lack of sway and too much stability, at least "help" on making firefights shorter and allowing far too much deliberate fire.

Edited by CarlGustaffa