Sign in to follow this  
aussieterry84

How to turn off new mouse steering?

two words (and a punctuation) - OPTIONAL PLEASE!

My very personal opinion on that:it was a useless addition ...

i mean driving in the game or piloting is not realistic why adding this stuff :D ?

Should be indeed optional. But what I would like to see optional as well is that when ever you enter a vehicle you automatically enter free-look mode cos now I have to do it manually 100% of the time and sometimes crash a car cos i forgot to do it in a hurry. But I can understand that those that have trackir etc might not want this feature to be forced upon them (like the current semi-freelook-mousethingy) so it should be optional.

Yes please! Its nice, but ive got very used to diving with the old way. And sometimes the view will move up or down when you dont want it too.

Been away from the game for some time. As soon as I read the thread title and people complaining about auto centering I thought BIS went with the awful ARMA 1 steering again. Now I see it's actually much closer to OFP's super smooth steering with a mouse. Just wanted to say it's a fantastic feature! But yeah, make it optional for those who don't want it or don't use a mouse to drive :)

its not about the mouse steering, thats really good, it's about the head-moving while steering, if you use headtracker, it's confusing, thats all

Voted - I have tried and tried to get used to the new system, but can't. I find it absolutely fine when I am just driving somewhere, not in a rush etc. I find it very hard to deal with when I have to 'get the hell out of dodge' though.

A toggle key or something in the options would be good. Please don't make it a startup switch or config-only entry!

its not about the mouse steering, thats really good, it's about the head-moving while steering, if you use headtracker, it's confusing, thats all

Ah, I see what you mean now. There's really no need for head moving while steering, I agree. The steering itself is great. Driving a motorcycle in ARMA doesn't feel like the most awkward thing ever anymore.

Driving a tank has become really awkward !

I think not, it's much better with mouse steering. You must be doing it wrong, lower your sensitivity.

the problem is the combination with trackir4/5 pro. because you look everywhere but not where you want to!! it shpuld be a setting, to switch on off. that would be great.

even if its only a config setting. doesnt have to be in menu.

Edited by themaster303

You can disable and enable the trackir ingame, so one would guess that the game knows if there is an active trackir or not. If trackir enabled -> turn of headturn feature?

Also, I would prefer if AWSD buttons for vehicle control override mouse control

Yes..if you (BI) guys don't want to remove it (for ever and ever)..at least make it toggle-able.

I like it a lot. And its simple enough to let the mouse go and steer with the keys.

Non linear is good too.

Only bit I don't like is the auto-center.

This means on sharp turns you have to pick-up, move and reposition your mouse !!

Also, I would prefer if AWSD buttons for vehicle control override mouse control

I agree, I have said this in the past and it was popular then, and is infact the "default" way in most games.

Head is moved with mouse, keyboard controls vehicle direction. You can do this now by double tapping alt, but its annoying to do this every time you enter a vehicle. Its this level of polish arma needs if it wants to go mainstream.

Regards

Ahmed.

I agree, I have said this in the past and it was popular then, and is infact the "default" way in most games.

Head is moved with mouse, keyboard controls vehicle direction. You can do this now by double tapping alt, but its annoying to do this every time you enter a vehicle. Its this level of polish arma needs if it wants to go mainstream.

Regards

Ahmed.

I agree and like I said earlier, would be nice if there was an option to set the freelook on automagically when u enter a vehicle of any sort.

Perhaps an cfg-line; VehicleAutoFreelook=0/1.

Suggest VehicleAutoFree look should be a Control option in the main game menus, not individual vehicles.