Sign in to follow this  
thenoobwar

Is this the right game?

Hello members!

I recently purchased Arma X and realized that it said I dont have Arma:Combat Operations, is this the same game as armed assault? I bought the Arma X package off of steam.

-Thanks,

TheNoobWar

ArmA Gold included in Arma X encompasses Armed Assault (titled Combat Operations in North America) and its expansion. :)

ArmA Gold included in Arma X encompasses Armed Assault (titled Combat Operations in North America) and its expansion. :)

Ok thanks, also how do I install CO (Combined Operations) cause if I want to play on an Arma 2 server it would require me exiting OA then go to Arma 2. Is there a way to make combined operations work for steam because it wont launch.

EDIT:Yeah I played Armed Assault it was awesome! Why did they change it's name though? Is it because (arm)ed (a)ssault would be better for a series so Armed Assault 2 = Arma 2?

A2: CO (ARMA 2: Combined Operation) is name for combination of ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead (engine+data) and ARMA 2 (data)

A2: CO (ARMA 2: Combined Operation) is name for combination of ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead (engine+data) and ARMA 2 (data)

What I'm saying is when I want to start CO with Steam it won't open but if I want to open up OA with steam it will. But then I want to play arma 2 and arma 2:free servers there too.

Why did they change it's name though? Is it because (arm)ed (a)ssault would be better for a series so Armed Assault 2 = Arma 2?

No, "ArmA" is Latin for "weapons of war" and "military power" among others, which I assume is why they used it. Both imo reflect nicely on the flexibility of the engine and editor (sandbox experience).

Noun

arma (genitive armÅrum); n pl, second declension (plural only; not used in singular form)

-defensive arms, armor/armour, shields, weapons of war.

-war

-soldiers, military power

-defence

-tools

ArmA1 was never officially called just "Armed Assault", it only served as a given name, so "ArmA: Armed Assault" ("ArmA: Combat Operations" in the US). "ArmA: Armed Assault" is a poor name imo, which sort of reflects the stepping stone towards ArmA2 that the game was. Giving it a better name would also have prevented the confusion of people thinking that "ArmA" is an abbreviation of "Armed Assault". The second capital "A" I assume serves nothing more than esthetic purposes but must have added to the confusion.

No, "ArmA" is Latin for "weapons of war" and "military power" among others, which I assume is why they used it. Both imo reflect nicely on the flexibility of the engine and editor (sandbox experience).

ArmA1 was never officially called just "Armed Assault", it only served as a given name, so "ArmA: Armed Assault" ("ArmA: Combat Operations" in the US). "ArmA: Armed Assault" is a poor name imo, which sort of reflects the stepping stone towards ArmA2 that the game was. Giving it a better name would also have prevented the confusion of people thinking that "ArmA" is an abbreviation of "Armed Assault". The second capital "A" I assume serves nothing more than esthetic purposes but must have added to the confusion.

What about my CO problems?

What about my CO problems?

you have to buy Arma2 and Operation arrowhead (I'm not sure if they were included into arma x pack on steam)

Now when you have those load OA with steam, and it will ask wether you want to play original or combined operations, select combined operations, hit ok, and play.

if ever you decide to get ACE mod, then Six updater will do all that for you, all you have to do in six is hit "launch"

Hope I helped with your troubles.

you have to buy Arma2 and Operation arrowhead (I'm not sure if they were included into arma x pack on steam)

Now when you have those load OA with steam, and it will ask wether you want to play original or combined operations, select combined operations, hit ok, and play.

if ever you decide to get ACE mod, then Six updater will do all that for you, all you have to do in six is hit "launch"

Hope I helped with your troubles.

Sadly I wished it was this easy. And yes Arma X comes with ALL arma games and expansions/dlc. It's that I get an error code in command prompt when I try to open it and it disappears in like half a second, and CO does NOT open.

For your CO issue,

On steam you should have Operation Arrowhead in your library yes?

Click that and a dialog will appears asking whether to launch OA Standalone (Or something to that effect) and another option for Combined Operations.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Can anyone help me?

To get Combined Ops running via the steam downloads, do exactly this:

1: Download and install ArmAII

2: Download and Install ArmAII: Operation Arrowhead.

3: Run ArmAII on it's own. Quit out once you see the main menu.

4: Run Operation Arrowhead, select "Run as Combined Ops" on the pop up that appeard.

You're done.

Optional

4a: You can confirm you are running as Combined Ops by clicking "Single Player" then "Editor" and then when presented with the map list, you will see AT LEAST the following: Takistan, Zargabad, Utes and Cherneraus. There may be more and that's fine as long as you can see those 4.

Enjoy your Combined Ops.

5: Post a lovely nice thank you right here to me ^^

You can play on any CO servers. If you wish to play on ArmA:Free servers, perform these 2 additional steps:

6: Download ArmA:Free

7: When you wish to play with friends playing in ArmA:Free, launch that instead.

Operation Arrowhead is _NOT_ compatible with A2:Free last time I checked. A2 without OA is on an older version of the engine.

I have to wonder why sims always have so many versions and updates. I had silly problems with DCS D:

Edited by Pika

Asked in April, in the wrong forum section, last post in september (which was a complete useless post on itself already)..............I would say answering this thread after so many months is not very usefull. Better help people in some more recent threads where help like you provide above (which is of course very welcome) will be much more appreciated by the poster(s).