Thread: Moutain Warfare: Tanks don't climb moutains

Moutain Warfare: Tanks don't climb moutains

This is new since 1.60 probably.

Funny: As soon as I - as comander - get closer to them, like in view distance, they start climbing.

Before they remain at foot of hill making a dancing like movement, turning continiously left and right like children from a childrens home ('hospitalism').

Any hints for me ? I like Moutain Warfare a lot.
    Before we were forced to use "just another datacollecting and advertising imposing machine on users machine like steam" my signature went like this for many, many years:
    "There was once a dark age when players were herded like cattle down rigid gaming paths - and Bohemia Interactive Studios were the Che Guevara types who set them free." Watch n' listen: Thank you, Bohemia for fascinating games since 2001. Engine: Win8 32-Bit on AMD64 6000 X2 (2 x 3100 MHz) * NVidia 9600 GT 1024 MByte * 1920 x 1080 pixels * 27'' TFT * RAM 3 GByte - it all works very smooth especially because of SSD!

Use mountain warfare tactics?
    My Chernarussian Civil War SP missions:
    Enfilade Ambush
    Autumn Siege

Ooops ... what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbal Influence View Post
    Ooops ... what you mean?
    He means that official all aroudn the word mountain warfare tactics is NOT to use heavy vehicles in montainous areas because especially modern tanks are too heavy depite having lots of nominal power...te weight of 60 tons eats that off. MOntain warfare = Light units, light infantry, light vehicles, helicopters and mules.

I got bored of seeing this thread pop up over and over, so I did a little analysis of Takistan:

Click for fullsize

Considering M1 Abrams as default vehicle:
    Everywhere that is white or blue is fairly flat and can be traversed at full speed.
    Anywhere that is light green can be traversed at a maximum of 27 km/h, you get gradually slower and slower untill you reach the orangey-brown, where you do a maximum of ~7 km/h.
    Anything in red is completely impassable to tracked (and most wheeled) vehicles.

Note the amount of red which borders the blue sections, especially around the center of the map.

This does not consider the physical quality of the terrain surfact (in real life I would assume that ~80% of that map would be loose shale/rock and too soft to drive up.

As for the "bug", I imagine that the path planning is not fully prioritised when the group leader is far away from the vehicles. Its understandable that the AI wouldn't want to drive up somewhere they technically shouldn't be...
    Quote Originally Posted by ***LeGeNDK1LLER*** View Post
    well you are 1 of the greatest examples that pressing the reply button doesn't mean necessarily answering.

Quote Originally Posted by DM View Post
    I got bored of seeing this thread pop up over and over, so I did a little analysis of Takistan:
    Kind of off topic, but how the hell did you generate that image?

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Master Gunnery Sergeant Hellfire257's Avatar
    Definitely MS Paint. Without a doubt!

I'm guessing the topology command was used somewhere along the line.

Ok, thx for the explanations. I considered it "tooo intelligent" to only climb up mountains when I am around myself .... couldn't believe it.